don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Edited thread title.

ASR3, but Sonic-only. Will see how this develops, but nice to see this year's game at last =P

2. Pengi

Pengi

I think it's delightful that Tails has a Lotus Super 7 inspired car again.

For anyone wondering about Egg Pawn, remember that this game has an Adventure Mode (story mode), so it makes sense to have an Eggman robot that can appear in multiples when the story calls for it. Sonic Riders did the same thing.

Hopefully Flicky and the others will be included in some way.

It's a shame that Sega doesn't embrace the core gimmick of the Chao anymore - the form changing. They only ever use the standard Chao, Hero Chao and Dark Chao. Why no Swimming Chao, Flying Chao, Power Chao etc? It would add more colour and variety to the audience.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

They were probably afraid it would sound too much like "Crash Team Racing".

4. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    SEGA have had a bad habit of posting underwhelming trailers since Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I.

Granted, not all of their trailers are practically non-events, but specifically their reveal/teaser/announcement trailers seem to have a trend of being lacklustre, even considering that they're brief trailers.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Mania's reveal trailer was pretty amazing though.

6. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

[​IMG]

This image had me really excited for a few seconds until

[​IMG]

God damnit, why can't the cool stuff ever be real?

7. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong, there are some sweet exceptions. :)

Sonic Mania's initial reveal trailer (Barring technical issues at the time in regards to the live event.) was nothing short of phenomenal. ^w^

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Glad to see SUMO's on board at least! Also, anyone else picking up the Jun Senoue vibes from the music in this trailer?

9. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

Another Sonic game worth skipping? What do you guys think

10. Felik

Felik

They could make a unique and original racing game for once (given the nature of the franchise and it's legacy)

Decided to play the safest way possible yet again.

Every time, SEGA.

Also:

Dude, don't play with my heart like that. I know that it'd be too cool to be true, but I too got excited for a second when I've seen the first picture in your post.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well it's a kart racer. So the question pretty much comes down to "Do you like Sonic" and "Do you like Kart racers." If yes to both of those get this game, otherwise avoid it.

Sumo's making it and they have a proven track record for this kind of stuff so this game should be at least decent.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The game looks disappointing so far, but that's not the same thing as "looks bad" at all. Sumo Digital have a track record of making brilliant SEGA/Sonic racing games that I prefer to all of the Mario Kart series bar MK8. I'm pretty certain that it's going to brilliant.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Probably right, but not instilling much hope. Teamwork? In a racing game? No thanks.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av07I2G6fkQ&t=0s

Wanna hear the Traveler's Tales guy's opinion about this game? Sure why not.

Yea he's confused as to why they used the "R" logo too. He's also disappointed that Sonic's driving a car, particularly due to the "R."

On a side note, anyone else hoping we might see something like a Mania level? Or maybe an obscure Classic level? I'm actually excited about this just being a Sonic racer because of the track potential, there are so many environments that'd be great to race in. Can we have like Toxic Caves from Sonic Spinball in a Waluigi Pinball esq fashion? Or a Chaotix stage? Or Studiopolis in 3D?

I don't want to see a Lost World level though. We don't need that. We also don't need to see Not Bowser Zavok or his friends either.

EDIT: The hell happened to my video? Ok here's the right one again

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'm gonna make a guess right now that most tracks will be levels that have pre-existing assets made relatively recently.. So I'd bet on any level from Sonic Generations, Sonic Forces, and Lost World getting a track. If we get tracks based on locations we haven't seen yet, I'd be pretty happy.

16. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Heck, that boxart looks suspiciously memetastic to me. This has to stop. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe spread disco vibes, this has another kind of cheesiness. Just what is this game!? The screenshots look great so far, just not as good as S&SASRT. And I like Sonic's pre-rendered fur. They nailed it this time.

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah - to echo everyone else I'm also super disappointed the Sonic R connection was just an empty marketing ploy that didn't mean anything - even if I suspected that beforehand. This is just another All-Stars game basically but without the draw of Sega's legacy to make the game enticing. Granted this'll probably be excellent because it's Sumo but they totally fucked the marketing for this.

I'll check out the game when we see more like gameplay and God I hope we get Mania levels like a Studiopolis track - but I really wanted the Sonic R thing to mean something. Disappointed.

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm wondering if the cat character in the background has something to do with the story. Maybe the one that sets up the tournament?

Also, put me down for a Studiopolis level.

19. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I can't gauge the track design from the screenshots. It looks extremely bland from the two curves we can see though. I wouldn't call them highlight screenshots. Without the transformation and potentially the track changing mechanic I'm hoping they don't regress into blander tracks. Planet Wisp just looks generic from the shots of the cliff and falls in the background.

I do have faith in Sumo delivering a solid game though. I will withhold any judgement until we see some proper gameplay since Sega couldn't be bothered to throw some of the important things into the trailer. I'm not really sold on "team" racing with word of a tiny roster and riders-esque character classes...

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Was thinking about this earlier, but the talk of Sonic Mania tracks makes this a lot more topical, so here's my pitch:

Would you guys take Classic Sonic (again) if it meant we could also have some or all of the Hard Boiled Heavies with him, or maybe even the Hooligans? While I don't think the HBH are wildly popular as far as Sonic characters go, they're certainly quirky and fun villains and it'd be really fresh to see some proper classic era representation beyond the usual Classic Sonic, Tails and Eggman. Heck, with Mania Plus on the horizon maybe this game could act as the reintroduction of Mighty and Ray into the series, with new, Modern designs.

Of course this is all very unlikely given that there are only 15 playable characters, but I was wondering what the general consensus on such representation would be.