don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. EnderWaffle

EnderWaffle

Ghostly Friend Member
    I mean, wouldn't they still be allowed to use it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the designs for the cars belonged to SEGA, not Sumo.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah to reiterate from before - I'm also hoping the Sonic R reference used in the marketing means something important for the game. The closer to a spiritual sequel to Sonic R they can get the better. So it's quiet on the news front as of late. Would have thought something will be appearing at some point this week - around the time of Mania Adventures Episode 3 (also due this week).

Sega's teasing heavily inferred "this month" meaning this week - so we'll see soon hopefully.

3. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    If they bring back TJ Davis and Richard Jacques to do the soundtrack (SEGA, please do this if you can!), and give them the direction to create music tracks/sing vocals in the style of Sonic R (And '90s in general.)* it would make me extremely happy.

I absolutely love everything about Reactive Factory (Work It Out), and if this new racing game brings at least 1 more great music track like that, I would be fucking ecstatic.

* While I personally mostly prefer those '80s to '90s vibes, I'm not discrediting the music direction in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed whatsoever. That game had some right bangin' remixes; what Richard Jacques did for Ocean View and Sanctuary Falls is some really groovy shit. Also, all of my yes to the recurring theme and various remixes of it seen throughout that game's U.I., more of that please. :-3

4. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Your sir, have beyond excellent music taste. This was my favourite Sonic track growing up - as someone that had Sonic R and a Saturn. Also hoping for the same thing as you.

5. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
  6. Axanery

Axanery

Wal-Mart just accidentally revealed the title, screenshots, and gameplay info on a store page on their site. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Team-Sonic-Racing-Sega-Nintendo-Switch-010086770070/481595318

7. As others mentioned, they have missed a trick by not calling it Super Sonic Racing but if I was ok with the long-winded Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie then I'll be fine with this too.

The team aspect makes me a bit cautious, personally I can't ever remember that being an enjoyable feature in a racing game other than in Double Dash. However, I have loved all of Sumo's racers so I am fairly confident I will be happy with this one.

That looks a bit like Planet Wisp in the screenshots, glad the first reveal wasn't the standard Green/Seaside Hill. Here's hoping they go all out with track locations, Galactic Parade was one of my favourite tracks in All Stars Transformed. Any of the new Mania levels would be incredible! (On that thought, I hope we get Classic Sonic in his Drift car)

Looking forward to the trailer and more info.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Looks... disappointing to be honest with you. The artstyle is again following the slightly more cartoony look of Lost World and Forces, rather than the realstic but fantastical stylings of Generations and Colours. I'm growing to dislike this artstyle. In general though the graphics just don't look too hot. In this art style, Planet Wisp looks artificial and unappealing. There's none of the beauty it had in Colours/Generations.

And it's a shame to see that, despite hyping up a Sonic R connection, that this looks like it's solely going to a car racer. If there is going to any foot-racing involved, it's going to play second-fiddle. But I'm honestly not really expecting it to be there. 15 characters is a woefully low number too. There's bound to be a bunch of fan-favourites missing. Getting rid of the SEGA characters and not going wild with the Sonic character cast feels like a huge missed opportunity. And they're seriously using an Egg Pawn over an actual character? That's weak.

On the plus side, ASR and ASRT are fantastic games. I don't doubt for a second that Sumo are going to drop the ball with a  sub-par game (assuming it is being developed by them, of course). The team racing aspect of it sounds interesting, as do the Wisps; finally the Wisps are making a justified appearance. I'll look forward to hearing and seeing more when it's announced officially. It's a poor start though...

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Most of my opinions are gonna stay on SSMB, but in general I think it's looking pretty neat. I have little worries for the core gameplay, so my three biggest things are all related to the character roster:

1. Fifteen characters isn't enough when Egg Pawn is one of them.

2. If that's gonna be the case, utilize the fuck out of those optional skins. I know that one Egg Pawn is just blue, but you don't need to limit yourselves to that for other characters. Make Metal a skin for Sonic, or Tikal a skin for Knuckles if you have to.

3. If you're not putting all this shit in the main game, DLC the fuck out of it. I'll buy it all.

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Wow, Amazon aren't the ones leaking the game ? Look like they need to step up their game :v:

Anyway this look neat. Hoping for some gameplay soon.

11. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Had anyone else noticed that
    One of the screenshots features the return of Chao in Space posters?
    [​IMG]

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Found this guy just to the left of the boxart and I've been trying to make sense of him ever since. Doesn't seem to match up with any existing character, and the vehicle he's riding seems rather Eggman-like, so perhaps it's the good Doctor in disguise? If it's not, then I just can't reason why he'd be on the box in such a small capacity, since new characters are usually much more prominent on Sonic boxart.
    [​IMG]

Other than that, I agree with comments made on the art style. Sonic and co. look the best they've ever been in a racing game (far better than All-Stars certainly), but the environments they're in? Not so much...

Also, I know it was never given any thought or implication, but seeing the Sonic R style in the logo really makes me wish that the game used Sonic Drift styled cars...perhaps when Classic inevitably shows up...

who am I kidding he'll probably just use a smaller version of the Speed Star

13. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I'm astonished that anyone was expecting on-foot racing since the very first tease we were shown had Sonic's ASR car in it.

I knew exactly what was coming but I'm still disappointed to see it for real. The SEGA part of the last two games was the bit that most interested me. I'll keep dreaming for a SEGA racer with an OutRun mode that lets me drift through Tokyo-To as forklift driver Ryo.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I wasn't expecting it personally, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to have expected on-foot racing to have been included in some form considering the fact that this game is using just Sonic characters and that they were peddling a connection of sorts to Sonic R. Everyone knew it was going to be a car racer because there was no ambiguity about it. People just wanted the foot racing to be in there too.

I'll look forward to the official announcement for now. The more I look at those screenshots though... the worse the game looks artistically.

15. MiSHiKiS

MiSHiKiS

What are the chances that the race tracks will be tracks based on the Generations levels

16. Turbohog

Turbohog

Zero because that would be stupid.

Anyway, I'm disappointed. I'm pretty tired of kart racers so they've already lost my interest.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So I'm guessing the character line up is basically going to be Sonic Heroes plus Silver, Blaze, Egg Pawn, Eggman, and Classic Sonic while Cream and Big get tossed.

15 Characters for races with 12 characters isn't a whole lot though. Maybe they're only advertising 15 because other racers are unlockable? I hope so because with only 15 a number of fan favorites probably won't make it. If Egg Pawn gets in and Metal Sonic doesn't though I'll be annoyed.

Planet Wisp is an interesting choice for an opening level though. I'm shocked it's not Green Hill or Seaside Hill for the 8000th time.

Also I hope you can pick your teammates and it's not like Sonic Heroes where you pick a pre set team. That'd kinda suck.

18. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Why did they do the "Sonic R" logo link tease? That just set up the expectation that would have an on-foot mode (in addition to the cars). This has nothing to do with Sonic R and so the logo link just creates (totally avoidable) disappointment, as it's just empty nostalgia.

19. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    When I think about this a little more, it sadly reminds me of the way Sonic Forces plastered inconsequential fan-favourite characters in its box art and marketing, which can entice consumers in with a false sense of plot and gameplay significance. I feel this may unfortunately be a repeat of that practice. :-/

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I agree with this. Using the R in the logo is a nice touch and a cute throwback, but teasing it as though it's actually relevant to anything feels like it was intentionally misleading. Like you said, it's no different to what Forces did. They shouldn't have shown off the logo at all until the game was fully revealed.