don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    [​IMG]

Master Emerald: "Someone tell me why we should listen to Iizuka when 99 out of 100 times he's lying."
    Everyone Else: But what if that is that one other time?

Alright, shitposting aside - You're right that Mania Team aren't going to fuck the gameplay over, but I still feel like it's worth a discussion even if it turns out to be a non-issue because... well, nothing else to do till the release date :v:

2. Feanor

Feanor

France
    Hello! I haven't come here in a veryyyyy long time. :)

I wonder if this means that the only teams possible are Ray/Sonic and Mighty/Sonic? It would be great if we could pair up with any character with the ability to switch at any time.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean I'm sure hackers will figure that out on the PC but that doesn't sound right as we've seen Tails and Knuckles in Encore mode too. Why would they put such a limiting restriction in place?

Also why wouldn't Mighty be able to team up with Knuckles :colbert:

4. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    This was BRUTAL

If anyone from the dev team is listening, I do have an idea for a one button Classic Amy implementation.

Edit: In order to get the media tag to work, it has to be http NOT https. Fascinating.

5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    That was a neat little video. I know including a playable Amy would probably be outside of the game's budget (especially if they do her properly and make her a slower paced character), but I hope she does make a bigger appearance in Mania Plus.

6. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    I would like to state for the record that my idea is NOT to make her a slower based character. She would still have her hammer too.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    That video is hilarious. If Sega had revealed the Mighty and Ray trailer sooner, something like this would have been a hilarious April Fools joke.

8. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Great video that gets the point across even better that many people would like to see Amy become a playable character.

That said, I highly doubt she gets added to "Mania." We've seen at least three members of the dev team say they are looking for work now that "Mania Plus" is close to being done. Sega/the dev team came up with a good amount of new stuff to add for "Mania Plus" to incentivize people to get the physical version or upgrade their existing digital versions, but if Amy was added to the game and nothing else was done (no tweaks to the zones to accommodate whatever unique ability they gave her, etc.) it'd be hard to charge anything beyond $0.99-1.99, and she also wouldn't be on the physical copies of "Plus." (I mean, even if they did do the work to alter the zones to accommodate her unique ability, it'd still be hard to charge more than $1.99-$2.99 for that, based on everything that's in "Plus" being only $4.99.)

But I do think stuff like this video and the accompanying campaign of telling Sega there is "room for one more" in a game like "Mania" is a great thing to do to try to further get the point across to them that all of us who love "Sonic Mania" want to see a great sequel to it (with all original zones, even greater/more detailed pixel art and animation, and so on). There is clearly a demand for Amy, and they should realize that by adding her in the sequel they are broadening the demographics of who the game would appeal to--there are women who already love classic Sonic games that would be jazzed to see her, but also think of all the parents who would see Amy on the "Sonic Mania 2" box art in a store and pick the game up for their daughter(s). Hell, they should probably even have text on the front of the box/cover art that says something like "You can now play as Amy!"

If they drop the inane "obsessed with Sonic" shtick, have her design and unique ability be rad, and market her inclusion well, her being added could go over very well. (Of course you still primarily focus on Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles since they've always been the main characters, especially the first two.)

It'd be a great thing to add to try to have sales of the sequel be better than the first, though we also need to stress to Sega it's definitely not the only component needed--they need to give the "Mania" team more money, time, and resources to enable them to make a game comprised of entirely new zones (of course taking inspiration and elements from the past like the new zones in "Mania" did), to be able to push the pixel art and animation even further and have it be the most beautiful pixel art game made thus far, have many new original badniks and gimmicks, etc. Such a game could go down as the greatest 2D platformer ever made, and the even better critical reception to it should also help lead to better sales than the first one. Let's hope Sega enables this to happen!

9. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I think it's far too late to add Amy to Mania/Mania Plus.

SEGA/Team Mania are surely well aware by now of the desire fans have for Amy to be playable in her classic form. So, I think adding Amy in Mania 2 (if we ever get a sequel/brand new 2d game) is a no-brainier. In the meantime Ray and Mighty being playable in Mania Plus more than makes up for her absence.

It would be really cool if Amy was to make a cameo at the end of Mania Plus story.

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Oh shiiiiiiiiii

That was good. Like, incredibly good! This just won the troll game and made me incredibly sad to almost tears. Makes me want Any now more than ever even though she was never a playable character in 2D until Sonic Advance.

11. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicMania/sp/index.html#contents-soundtrack

Soundtrack listing for Mania Plus in Japan confirms a Pinball Bonus Stage!

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Well now, at least it appears there'll be something after all the Blue Spheres are done. Good improvement, if that's the direction. Now is it more S&K or Spinball pinball bonus stage?

13. Wow, that's pretty neat! I wonder if they'll go for a Spinball homage. Maybe have it play like one of the bonus rounds from it, with little sonic-themed objectives you can do.

Honestly, all these people are upset about Amy getting nothing, when I just wanted Toxic Caves or Lava Powerhouse to have a fully-fledged Zone.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well the sound track listing is Trap Tower, which was a SegaSonic level. So I'm guessing it'd be some kinda mash up between the S3K glowing sphere bonus stage and Trap Tower's aesthetic.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    No Nakamura tracks on the OST, it's a real shame :(

16. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Has anyone got any links to pre-order the Japanese versions yet? Would love to get my hands on all variations & the JAP one is the one I'm having trouble finding!

17. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

"Mania Plus" JP for: Switch

"Mania Plus" JP for: PS4

It selects the "Amazon limited" version by default, which seems to just add a smartphone wallpaper for about $7. Select the "No Amazon Limited Edition" if you don't want that smartphone wallpaper (at least I think that's what you're doing by selecting that--don't take my word for it). There's a bunch of other SKUs you can select by clicking the images below "Color"/above "Edition"--one comes with a large smartphone case, one with a medium smartphone case, one with a keychain, one with a bandana, and one with chopsticks. They all cost a bit more than just the game by itself and don't seem worth it, though I will say the bandana looks kind of neat and the price isn't too bad.

I don't think they are selling the physical version of "Plus" for Xbox One in Japan, which makes sense considering the system has sold very very few units there.

18. EnderWaffle

EnderWaffle

Ghostly Friend Member
    I'm unsure of whether or not I should buy the physical edition, mainly because I don't want to own a second version of the game (I've already got it digitally). I really only want that art book and slip cover.
    Who knows, maybe I'll just buy it and sell the cartridge on Amazon or something. :v:

As for the OST, I am so buying that.

19. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Why would you want a box with nothing inside?

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Collectors purposes? I have a Sega genesis box with the sonic 3 complete jp variant cover printed on it but nothing is in the box (to be fair I helped make that box art variant so I wanted it displayed).