don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Just to give a little update if anyone cares!

All level layouts for Sonic Classic 2 have been completed. All Bosses bar the final boss have been completed. Right now I'm in the stages of heavily refining these stages to avoid the mess the original's first release had. Also wondering if there's any interest in the following.

Sonic 1 levels - Its 90 percent ported over. Added new paths and such. Wondering if anyone would mind pushing back release date to include it?
    Sonic 2 Levels - its around 15 percent done. Same as above

Other than that, Sonic Classic 1 improved version is included as well, with heavily modified layouts and glitch fixes.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    That's great news, congrats on reaching such a major milestone! Must feel good.

I feel like if Sonic 1 is almost done, it'd be worth including at launch, but if Sonic 2 is gonna hold things up in a big way, maybe make it DLC?

Will you have to beat Classic 2 first before getting to play the revamped Classic 1 stages? It'd be nice to have a (secret?) option to play through them both back to back from the beginning in one spot.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Personally, I'd be happy enough with just Classic 2, and a revamp of Classic 1... but if you want to include S1 and S2... I'd like to see it as a later DLC. Really looking forward to this release. Have been for years.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I think it would be worth including S1 at launch at this point, you're so close!

5. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Gonna echo those thoughts; if Sonic 1 is already almost done, you might as well include it. Sonic 2 on the other hand, I feel would ne better as post-release content that you could even change or improve based on feedback to the Sonic 1 levels.

Tl;dr: don't hold back the release because of levels we've all played 1000 times :v:

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Fucking awesome update Hez! I along with everyone else are super excited to play this. Must have missed it but I had no idea we were also getting a revamped Sonic Classic 1 with this. That's awesome news. You must have been working ridiculously hard to have the game almost complete. I can only imagine the amount of hours you must have poured in to this. Classic 1 was a joy to play and an awesome retro-throwback to the classic Sonic era so I'd love to experience it all over again with a sequel. As for the additional content, in my opinion Classic 2 which is all completely new original content + Classic 1 heavily improved/revamped is above and beyond the call of duty already. I mean that's basically two new games. So I'd just focus on releasing those with the Sonic 1 and 2 content potentially being post-support DLC?

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Sounds like I'll include Sonic 2 as DLC!

As for some questions for how Sonic Classic 1 was going to be implemented. I planned on having a separate exe to play JUST top play it as it was "intended" sort of. Then, have it as an unlockable in SC2 using SC2 sprites etc. I would, however, not be opposed to having it there right away and being able to jump right into 2 from 1? Thoughts?

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Could always go the "Game Pack" method, and just have the game load up with a menu where you can select either game from the start.

9. DustinVG

DustinVG

Super Ancient Keys
    Classic 2's main game is what I'm really looking forward to playing. Anything else is just icing on the proverbial Classic 2 cake.

So yeah, gonna echo what others have said here. If something is close to being done, sure, finish it, but don't let the extra fluff hold it back.

10. Felik

Felik

Personally I wouldn't include Sonic 1 sages in the game and later release them as DLC with some major alterations to the gameplay to make them feel fresh. Lets face it, emulations or Tax' ports will always be the preferred 'proper' way to play original games for most people. What the point of porting them if 95% of people will never even touch them?
    On the other hand if you'll manage to make them feel fresh, people much more likely will play and enjoy your takes on original games.

Just my two cents. Can't wait to play the final product.

11. ScarlyNight

ScarlyNight

Ultra Ring Member
    Netherlands
    Sonic Legends, Sonic XG other stuff
    Pretty exciting stuff right here! I've been following the game since the first few previews of it arrived so I'm really stoked to see it hit the finish line after all this time!

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Looking forward to finally playing Sonic Classic 2 soon. ^_^

There are few games I have played more than Sonic 1, yet I would happily play through those levels again with Sonic Classic 2. It can also be a massive pain in the ass getting Android emulation to work well on PC. Hardly anyone speedruns the best version of Sonic 1 because it's iOS/Android exclusive. [LINK] It's unfortunate the best version of Sonic 1 wasn't released on PC and consoles.

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    My opinion is pretty similar to the other people here: Sonic 1 is almost over, you might as well include it, but Sonic 2 would be better of as DLC.
    I also want to congratulate you for being almost done with this bad boy; it's hard to believe I was 11 years old when you started working on it. I've been following this project for so long, it's hard to believe it's actually gonna be complete :v:

But I'm getting ahead of myself here, good luck with the rest of the work :specialed:

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Small, fairly spoiler free update.

Fang/Knack's secret paths. Also going to have plenty of these hopefully throughout Sonic Classic 1 when you play again as him

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Levels are mostly done for SC2 and SC1 remaster, but its a while until release....I'm making sure this thing is polished. May need beta testers within the next two months though.

EDIT:Wrong order.

15. Ice

Ice

I'm gonna make a sonic fangame one day BELIEVE IT! Member
    Sonic Alpha
    This is gorgeous looking. Glad to here progress is close to finish but you're polishing the game. I like the fact that you gave fang is own routes as knuckles would have in the classic games. nice touch.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Right now I'm debating on Mighty's moveset. I may change it to better match Mania's so there's no confusion (and its the official move-set of Mighty). He currently has a very similar ability (Mighty had a "drop dash" sort of feature and the ability to swim under water) and was able to get to his paths via smashing rocks underneath the level, so not much manipulation would be required.

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Awesome update Hez. Your work ethic and dedication/commitment to this project knows no bounds. You're giving this the care and attention - and depth - that early Sonic Team gave to their games.

So excited to play this when it's released and I'm sure that's true of most of Retro. Classic 1 was a beautiful game and Classic 2 looks set to significantly surpass it. Excellent work dude.

18. Ice

Ice

I'm gonna make a sonic fangame one day BELIEVE IT! Member
    Sonic Alpha
    YOU'RE ADDING MIGHTY IN YOUR GAME TOO!?
    And here I taught I was the only one, he was planned to be in my fangame before I even started making it. Of course his moveset will include that fancy hammer drop from mania. I mean its so cool I couldn't resist but to add it.
    If you would like to see my code or anything lemme know.

19. Felik

Felik

I know that it's a fangame so level of general game understanding is significantly higher among the playerbase but I'm 100% sure that if a random person came across this switch they'd keep throwing themselves at it and be puzzled by the fact that it doesn't work (you know like like Lava Reef door switch).

20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    My hope is that while playing as fang, the first level only allows you to go this path, and hopefully players will get frustrated and shoot at it figuring it out. All other paths are unacceptable for the first level for Fang. So there is some guidance. I'm up for suggestions though if anyone thinks its not obvious enough?

Also still looking for pre-alpha testers.