don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2017.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So is someone saving these to put on the wiki later (We also need Kamiya's Bayonetta playthrough from Sega JP's YouTube as well)?

2. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    I was playing Streets of Rage II on the 3DS and was amazed at how good the 3D effect when retro-fitted into a Genesis game.

Shame that SEGA didn't 3D-fy Sonic 3D Blast as well.

3. Nexeno

Nexeno

They did it also with sonic 1 and 2. The Sonic 2 Special Stage is probably the closest we will get, but it might not be too late for M5( the people who made the 3D remakes ) to make one of 3D Blast.

-Nexeno

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't think M2 have any plans to continue developing 3DS ports, specially now that they're working on the Switch re-re-re-re-re-releases.

It's a shame, but that's what happens when something takes too long to develop.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qAnfh8X8wU

There are some interesting tidbits here. Fun fact. Twinkle Park's main theme from Sonic Adventure was one of the tracks on that Demo tape he showed a while back. It was supposed to be an alternate special stage song in 3D Blast, as they wanted Tails and Knuckles stages to have different songs. Also the Sonic 4 boss theme was cut early on as the guy just didn't like it :v:

The game was also originally called Sonic Spindrift. Weird.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sonic Spindrift is certainly new information.

I kinda want to hear how Twinkle Park would have sounded on MD hardware now =P

7. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    That's actually nice to know that both the bumper car section and the main section of Twinkle Park both came from Sonic 3D Blast, though the main section was unused special stage music from 3D Blast.

8. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    68000 to C compiler for the Saturn port?

What the hell?

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

He's been trying to get permission to upload the contents of said demo tape, but he's not had any luck so far. I hope SEGA ease up a bit.

10. Unbekannt

Unbekannt

Previously MiSHiKiS Member
    Considering that the Twinkle Park music was originally part of a higher quality demo tape, could it be hypothesized that the 3D Blast remixes we hear in Twilight Park's first section and the second section of Windy Valley aren't actually remixes but instead be Jun repurposing their original tapes?

EDIT: Its a bit vague, but from the contents of the video I assumed that the Twinkle Park music was from the actual demo tape. I don't know if thats actually the case.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    You know, I may have asked you this before, but just checking -- you aren't Kool Kat, are you? As in the person who used to write little messages on Sega Channel between downloads?

I save copies of most Youtube videos I come across like these, yeah. Just in case, you never know.

also, I can kind of understand why the name was changed from Sonic Spindrift. You would have had Sonic the hedgehog, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Drift, and Sonic Spindrift all being different games. To fans, not too confusing, but to a parent trying to buy a game for their kid for christmas or whatever? Super confusing.

12. I'm not surprised... IIRC, this is also what they did when porting Sonic CD to the PC. Not sure about Sonic & Knuckles Collection.

13. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Digital Eclipse did the same thing for the GBA ports of the Phantasy Star games. It was mentioned in an interview long ago. I think they also did something similar in Mega Man Legacy collection 1, because Capcom didn't want them to emulate the NES.

It's probably been done for several other games as well.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  15. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Apparently Pleasure Castle's track was suppose to be for Knuckle's Special stage

Someone want to get on making a mock up or 3d blast style remix of the track?

16. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    Ha, no, unfortunately not - I was only a subscriber of the service. :)

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I'm very curious what it was specifically with his work on 3D Blast that made Jun Senoue so inclined to recycle so much of it. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, a lot of it was great and benefitted from being used in Adventure, but it's strange this game specifically we had 4 tracks lifted wholesale for later titles.

I suppose it's possible that since Adventure in some form was probably being worked on for the Saturn in '96 maybe there was some crossover between development, but that's just conjecture. Just a very strange interesting subject.

18. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    I feel it's more that, from Jun's perspective, Japan never got to experience that music, since 3D Blast on the Megadrive never made it over there until Mega Collection on Gamecube.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or perhaps he composed those with the next main Sonic game in mind, before it was decided that they'd go in 3D Blast?

20. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    This is the exact answer I got from Jun when I asked him about this same topic (or at least asked on my behalf) in a Summer of Sonic Q&A back in 2011 (At the 12:50 mark if the link doesn't take you there)

It makes sense that he wanted to reuse his favourite tracks again since Japan never heard them.

MADE MAH DAY :v: