don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah I noticed that... although it raises more questions than it answers :ohdear:

2. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    I just want to say, I really admire the effort y'all have to put in to document this stuff. Almost all of it is ephemeral, either by design (because that's how capitalism tends to work) or simply because of consumers...consuming things, as they do; nobody thinks that some random VCD or magazine or even cheap bootleg video game is worth documenting, but here you are, aiming to document...all of it. Despite stuff like information rot, here you are. It's genuinely admirable.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Are you ready for some top tier German ice hockey from 1992/1993???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's it got to do with Sega? Well... they're both "things".

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So this is a thing:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPzIj7z5qck
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPzIj7z5qck

5. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    [​IMG]

The cassette is about the three consecutive championships won by German ice hockey team Düsseldorfer EG (Düsseldorfer Eislauf-Gemeinschaft) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BCsseldorfer_EG , which culminated in the 92/93 season... their coach at the time was Hans Zach https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Zach, a German ice hockey player and coach, member of the German Ice Hockey Hall of Fame... this is something ... though there's no clue about Sega's involvement... my bet is ... it's probably something like this VHS cassette here... https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:SegaVisions_US_08.pdf&page=61 ...

6. itsstillthinking

itsstillthinking

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Dreamcast Website, Sega Saturn Netlink Voip
    Hey i found some images of the box to Dreamcast carrying bag. Be cool to see a article on Sega retro on this now
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/nses1csg5g1vbdc/Bag.zip

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Do they have SEGA's endorsement or do they just don't know that using their logos in commercial products is illegal?

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Great news!

[​IMG]

https://picclick.co.uk/Top-Trumps-Sega-Promotional-Edition-Football-382419090851.html

An exceedingly rare set of Top Trumps sponsored by Football Manager exists. I hear there's 30 cards in a pack - good luck getting them scanned.

9. jbr

jbr

Quiz Time! While clearing out some old cassette tapes I had when I was a child, I found a mysterious recording which sounds like the Megadrive sound chip, but I don't recognise the song at all. I'm pretty sure it's not a Sonic track or I'd recognise it, so I was wondering if the Retro hivemind might be able solve it for me. Thanks in advance!

Listen here: https://goo.gl/57MKka (ignore the closing bars of Hakuna Matata, apparently a was a child with wide cultural tastes).

10. Hm, this one might be worthy of a topic of its own. It does sound vaguely familiar, the best I can come up with is that it reminds me of music from the earlier days of the console. Part of me wants to say it's from Golden Axe, but I can't match it to any songs I remember from the game. My next thought was Revenge of Shinobi, but it's the same situation there where I can't match it to a song from memory.

11. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I've also trying to guess where it might come from. It seems to sound more similar to GEMS driver to me, so maybe some Electronic Arts published game might be it. I've checked those games, it would be cool if you published your checklist too if you try to guess it.

- GODS
    - Alyssia Dragoon
    - Shinning Force
    - Sword of Vermillon
    - MUSHA
    - Shadow of the beast 1 & 2
    - Sword of Sodan
    - Legend of Gallahad
    - Dracula
    -Blades of Vengance
    - Frankenstein
    - Warlock
    - Shadowrun
    - Blaster Master 2
    - Devilish
    - King of Monsters
    - Demolition Man
    - Mega turrican
    - Xmen
    - Pirates of dark Waters
    - Puggsy
    - Belle's Quest
    - Buck Rogers
    - Starflight
    - Stargate
    - Aerobiz Supersonic
    - Flink
    - Spiderman & Venom Maximun Carnage
    - Alien 3
    - Strider (Both)
    - verytex
    - trouble shooter
    - skitchin
    - Road Rash ( none of the 3)
    - Gynoug/Wings of wor
    - ranger x
    - Gauntlet
    - Ys III
    - the lost world
    - phantasy star IV
    - Landstalker
    - jewel master
    - Bio Hazard Battle
    - Dragon Slayer:The legend of heroes
    - Lawnmower man
    - Captain America & the avengers
    - kings bounty
    - budokan
    - powermonger
    - battlesquadron
    - the immortal
    - fatal rewind
    - chakan
    - Rings of power
    - Sonic ( none)

12. jbr

jbr

Thanks, if this keeps getting interest I'll make a dedicated topic! I know I never had Golden Axe or Shinobi though.

That's an interesting insight. I've tried to compile a list of the game which I recall having or borrowing when I was a child in an attempt to narrow it down, however I may have missed or forgotten something so it may not be exhaustive. Some of these are EA published though so I might try them next.

• Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
    • Desert Strike
    • Disney's Aladdin
    • Ecco the Dolphin
    • FIFA 95
    • Global Gladiators
    • Home Alone
    • James Bond 007: The Duel
    • Jungle Strike
    • Lemmings
    • Lotus II: RECS
    • Micro Machines (not sure which)
    • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
    • QuackShot
    • Road Rash (not sure which)
    • Rocket Knight Adventures
    • Streets of Rage 2 (already checked this soundtrack, I don't think it's this)
    • TaleSpin
    • Talmit's Adventure
    • Urban Strike
    • All Sonic games, but I'm pretty sure it's none of them.

Thanks for looking!

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Quick one:

https://segaretro.org/Template:AnnotationTable

Chrome/Opera/Safari users - does it render correctly?

Also, this is a long-shot but has anyone ever made accurate vectors of video game controllers? e.g.

[​IMG]

Something like this, but with correct dimensions, and covers all (or at least most) of the systems we need? My expectation is no - I can cook up some in Inkscape or steal some from manuals, but the results might be inconsistent.

If you hadn't guessed, I'm thinking annotated controllers to explain how games work. Making wikis purdy.

14. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Running Windows 10 64-bit on Chrome version 66, if you need that. The game-screen renders fine, while annotations four and five are slightly off-center for the Megadrive (five especially so). Resolution was 1366x768 on the monitor it displayed on, if that also makes a difference.

15. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    I'll make Crasher's words my own ... because I'm using the same OS, browser and the same screen resolution (if that counts)...

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Not sure how you're planning to use these annotations, but do note the table-based nature of them means they inherently break with resolutions smaller than the annotated item themselves (for instance, that particular test breaks at anything under 800px wide.) My kingdom for Mediawiki to offer an easier way to use divs instead.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I too have no idea what I'm going to do with it - my original plan was to clean up this but having since learnt that Flamewing didn't invent that colour scheme, I can turn it into a pseudo standard, when and if collision is described more broadly.

i.e.
    "here a page describing how collision works in 2D Mega Drive Sonic games"
    "here's a page describing how collision doesn't work in 2D Mega Drive Sonic games" (Sonic collision bugs)

I'm less worried about sizing - the concern was that the margins would be all over the place and the annotations wouldn't line up. The widths are fixed so I would expect it not to fit on smaller screens (but as long as the annotated bit is drawing correctly that's a win).

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because I'm a little bit strange:

Streets of Rage 2/Comparisons

Now is the era of the sub-page. Digging into games and documenting them properly, similar to Sonic Retro (though probably without individual enemy pages).

With your help, we can create a definitive list of Japanese Mega Drive games missing trademark symbols on Sega logos.

I forget if there's special versions of Gens that will save video as animated GIFs. Could be an opportunity to get a "full" set of animated Segas.

19. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Wouldn't lossless x264 be better? Then we'd have the audio as well, and TimedMediaHandler can output screenshots.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Quite possibly - I'm not up to date on video formats.

I've been inspired by some of the stuff on Neo's Sonic 3 blog:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Having the animations side-by-side... it's fun to look at if nothing else.