don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Pengi

Pengi

He flexes his arm when you select him in SegaSonic, so it seems that the "strong man" aspect of his character was there from the start.

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Just a heads up to warn people that there's some Mania Plus footage in the latest Mania Adventures episode in case you weren't planning on watching it (but seriously why wouldn't you want to watch it)

3. LajosFace

LajosFace

Gyöngyös, Hungary
    Sonic & Crash: Dimension Disaster mod for Sonic Mania
    Am I the only one who is interested in Plus, because of the expanded modding capabilities thanks to Mighty and Ray?

4. SHowin

SHowin

I'm interested in the modding abilities as well! Considering the site we're on I bet we certainly aren't alone here. I think we'll probably see an Amy mod replacing one of them almost instantly after its released. (but we'll hopefully see more expansive stuff later)

On another note, does anybody know if Mighty still has is chaotix wall jumping alongside his new stomping move or is it currently unknown. In all honesty his new move doesn't look all that useful if that's all he can do.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    To be fair, I'd take what we're getting over Mighty basically being an inferior Knuckles, and considering he will at least be able to uncover his own exclusive paths in Encore mode, as well as the fact he has what is more or less an on demand shield, I certainly wouldn't say Mighty is useless.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I'm not sure what "expanded modding capabilities" you're referring to.

7. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Mighty and Ray are the only reason I care about the expansion at all. Encore mode feels like a waste and I have nobody to play the expanded multiplayer with. I just don't know if I'm willing to spend $5 just for two characters in a game I've already played to death.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Cross-post from the spoiler thread so all of you spoiler-evasion folks see the news:

NOTE: Sonic Mania Plus screenshots that I think are new are at the Famitsu link - so don't click if you're spoiler-evading anything and everything.

New interview with our main man Iizuka via Famitsu here. New screenshots at the link. He says that Mania is super popular amongst young children of primary school age and at the moment he "hasn't thought about" the future of Sonic or Sonic Mania following the release of Sonic Mania Plus saying plans haven't been made yet. We might need to get a more accurate translation before we speculate - as I'm going from ResetERA's rough translation here. If it is an accurate translation it looks like Mania 2 hasn't been green-lit just yet - which would explain Team Mania being released from their contracts and being idle for the moment. At a guess they're waiting on Sonic Mania Plus' sales performance? Seeing if it does another cool million like Mania did?

They'd be insane not to green light Mania 2 by at the very latest the end of this year. Can anyone accurately translate the entire interview?

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    This was always something I was worried about to be honest. Sonic Team have no idea what they are doing and SEGA have often made dubious decisions in the past. A Mania sequel is the obvious step forward but who knows. It also doesn't help that Sonic Team are ths estanlished ones and Team Mania have to keep proving themselves (despite being far superior).

When I saw Brad Flick look for other work, I didn't really want to see him get contracted by another company because he designed some of my favourite levels. But then if I was in his shoes, I definitely wouldnt wait around hoping to be contracted for another Sonic game that might be another one time deal. So I totally understand where hes coming from.

The whole thing is so dumb.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Really? Encore mode looks like a fun reason to give the game another whirl. Honestly, I think $5 is too low for all the content that's being provided. I was expecting it to be at least $9.

Although I do wonder how normal people will take it. On non-Sonic forums, I've seen people very confused by Mighty and Ray, with someone of them bemoaning a return to Sega's old mistakes of having too many characters. It doesn't help that the Arcade duo have a very cookie-cutter design, which makes people unaware of their history see them as lazy additions. I do hope including them doesn't backfire.

I dunno... I think the fact that the Mania team are looking for work shows that Sega is no in hurry. Given how talented the Mania team, they will most likely get hired and so probably won't be free for another 6 to 9 months. If Sega wanted work to start on Mania 2 this year, then you'd think they would be hiring the Mania team now. Granted, I don't really know how the game industry works, but the situation at the moment doesn't make sense to me.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That confuses me, as unlike the modern games the whole point of extra characters in the classic games is that they're optional. How is this any different from, say, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze which also has 5 characters now due to Funky Mode on the Switch.

But yes I can see how those unaware of the characters would be confused at the fact that Mighty and Ray look just like Sonic. It's likely one of the reasons why they haven't been used for this long to begin with. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised though when they see the care that goes into their sprite work and animations though.

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I suppose for Sonic multiple characters carry bad connotations, as there's barely any games that have done them right. Not to mention that in a lot of Sonic games with multiple characters, the Sonic gameplay tends to be underdeveloped. Sonic 2006 is probably the most famous example of this.

Games from other franchises usually handle multiple characters well, so I can see why those outside of the fandom are a bit nervous and confused.

13. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Don't you guys remember the Ray in Sonic 1 hack? He could basically glide like Knuckles except he didn't have his fists out so he would get injured if he flew into something so you had to let go of the button before crashing into an enemy. He couldn't climb walls either.

14. Axanery

Axanery

As a modder myself I'm super excited, but less about Ray and Mighty and more on seeing if there's any more entities and other objects I can put to other good uses.

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

I am honestly afraid that Sega hasn't hired Team Mania for a sequel yet because they'd rather have SonicTeam shart out a sequel. And we all know the quality that they're capable of.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    On the topic of Mania appealing to young children, the Famitsu interview (which was said to be translated by PlayStation LifeStyle) in the ResetERA article has Iizuka say this bit:

It's almost as if the original Genesis games Mania is directly designed from were themselves designed to appeal to and be enjoyed by a very broad age range in the first place... :thinkingemoji.gif:

As for the lack of plans / uncertainty on a Mania sequel--I was actually on the skeptical side about Sega likely sitting on Mania's success and doing nothing on it but --as I've said before-- I think the fact that we're getting a retail release, DLC, and a tie-in miniseries within a year of the original game's release does show that Sega isn't entirely clueless about Mania's reception. I've also said prior that it's good for the developers to work on other projects and good for the Genesis playstyle to get lengthy periods of rest. At the same time though; I don't really have any expectations to believe that if Sega commissioned a Mania sequel, they would be able to get all of the (key) members of the band back together. And I have zero interest in a Mania sequel that has a chance of being creatively stymied by Sonic Team's general ineptitude (to say nothing of a Mania sequel actually developed/designed by Sonic Team themselves).

17. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    At the same time, though, we don't want Team Mania to be forced to crank out sequels so rapidly that they get sick of the franchise and stop caring. Let them take a break and come back fresh.

18. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Not sure how reliable this link is, but friend showed me this today

https://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-29748-There-Are-No-Plans-for-a-Sonic-Mania-2-For-Some-Reason.html

I feel sad :C

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya that's been discussed. But just because there are no plans now doesn't mean that there won't ever be another one, and maybe they're no plans for Sonic Mania 2 because it's going to be something else that's similar.

I have faith that this isn't the last we'll see of this retro revival. Besides they know how popular it is, Mania Plus is a thing. You don't see them working on Forces anymore for example :v:

20. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Honestly, I take this news at face value - As in there are no plans for a literal Sonic Mania 2.

Which to me is fine. I'm absolutely stuffed full of 'celebrating Sonic's past', (note: Mania Plus not counting. I'm still over-hyped for that shit) and am fully ready for an all new original Sonic game made by the Mania team - especially since Mania's original Zones were among my favorites.

Whilst it's great spinning the imagination for what old zones to remaster, I wouldn't want Taxman and friends to be chained to constant old-zone pandering and remaking forever.

I reckon it's time to step it up to the next level.