don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Harmony Friends, Apr 25, 2018.

1. IndyCotton

IndyCotton

So according to a translation on Mighty's and Ray's abilities on Tumblr:

I kind of hope Mighty's ability isn't gonna be a letdown compared to Ray at the moment, since Ray's ability was more described here and sounds infinitely more fun. So far Mighty's sounds like hardly any different from regular Bubble Shield Bounce or Sonic's Stomp-move from Modern-games.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Now if only we could affirm a Max Control option for realsies to our saves.

3. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    It can be used to destroy spikes. This was in the trailer at 1:18. I'm assuming he's invulnerable to enemies as well given he's an Armadillo.

4. Those were icicles, to be precise. Breaking regular spikes sounds a little overpowered, though I haven't seen anything so far that contradicts it either.
    Either way, it does seem like it there's more to that Hammer Drop than meets the eye: https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/989167727062335489

5. IndyCotton

IndyCotton

Neat! Dunno how many zones like that are out there with hidden boxes though. But hey, Mighty-only routes? Count me in!

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Calling it: Angel Island is little more than a 'tutorial zone' (a la Chaotix) for players to get used to the new tag mechanic.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That may be but eh, I'm still happy to see it. Besides the green part of Angel Island Act 1 in Sonic 3 lasts like 30 seconds, so a short Angel Island is nothing new.

It's also probably a zone that takes advantage of Mighty and Ray's abilities as most of the game wasn't designed around them. Speaking of which, what's their Mirage Saloon Act 1 going to be? Is it going to be Sonic and Tails' act? Probably can't be Knuckles since they don't have his abilities. So is it something new? Is this a replacement for Mirage Saloon Act 1 maybe leaving Mighty and Ray with only Act 2? It'd be a bit weird.

8. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Hmm, yeah, it'll be interesting to find out what Mighty and Ray's MSZ Act 1 is for sure.

Really nice trailer--love how it's playing off the pre-order trailer from last year.

Mighty and Ray's abilities seem rad. (Sure Ray's is highly derivative of the "SMW" cape, but eh enough time has passed and so few other games have bothered to copy it that it'll be nice to have it in another great platformer--animation for it looks pretty nice, too.) More excited to do playthroughs with them than I thought I was going to be.

A bit odd no footage of Angel Island was shown yet there's the screenshots from the Famitsu article and the one released today that OcelotBot posted on the first page of this thread. Maybe they're saving footage of it for a launch trailer right before release. Also I hope they only show footage of Act 1 and not Act 2 (presuming Act 2 is quite different from the original like how a lot of Act 2s in the main game were)--would be nice to be surprised by the new additions to it when "Plus" comes out.

I like the idea of new color palettes of the existing zones for the Encore mode, and think Green Hill and Chemical Plant look great. Personally not as big on Studiopolis. Mirage Saloon looks nice, and fits since we saw it with a tinge of purple at dawn in Sonic/Tails Act 1 in the main game before transitioning to daytime, and how it looks in Knuckles Act 1. But yeah so far purple stands out as a dominant color/theme for the Encore mode (even the water in GHZ and some striped patterns in the background in CPZ have it, though thankfully it's not the primary color in either zone). Which of course totally fits with the Chaotix vibe/aesthetic they seem to be going for. I'm just hoping there's a little more color diversity for the other zones not shown yet--Flying Battery, Press Garden, Stardust, Hydrocity, Oil Ocean, and Lava Reef already have a decent amount of purple in 'em. Don't get me wrong--purple is one of if not my favorite colors. Again, simply hoping for a bit more color diversity from the other zones in Encore mode. Especially looking forward to how Press Garden, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity, and Metallic Madness look.

$5 for just the digital DLC is a great price for what's being offered--kudos on them for choosing that.

Regarding that new remix, wonder if it'll play during the opening animation when you're in Encore mode. That'd be a nice little touch.

All in all love how this turned out--great work again by the dev team. Will definitely upgrade my PC and PS4 digital copies and get the physical Switch one for the nice packaging, art book, and of course most importantly being able to own a copy of a new 2D pixel art Sonic game in 2018 on a cartridge.

(One humble request for the update to the Steam version would be to please include native Direct Input controller support. Yes Steam now allows you to convert/map DirectInput devices into XInput, but it's a kinda clunky interface/process and an additional step some users won't know even exists. Plus I'm not sure if those settings are saved in the cloud/carried over if you do a clean install to a new OS. It'd just be nice to have SLS USB Sega Saturn controllers and original Saturn controllers+the Mayflash USB adapter just work natively with the game without additional futzing. Not a big deal if this is sadly not included, though.)

Also this image seems to imply there's going to be a collector's edition of "Mania Plus" that includes the soundtrack on a CD and an introduction manual (slightly different from the one that was given out at events), in addition to the art book that's in the standard $30 release. Would like official confirmation/details on that, if so, aside from this person who posted about it. Hopefully Aaron gives us them deets soon.

9. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Glad you liked it. Just me and my wife animating on this one, though. It was a short enough concept we just did it ourselves.

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

The Japanese version is definitely looking great since it comes with a soundtrack. Might even get the DX version to get the shirt and 4 prints.

11. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Congratulations to you both. It was magic. Gotta ask though, whose idea was the Bromance between Knuckles and Mighty? Loved that bit at the end.

12. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I hope the level design for Encore is more different than it appears. From what I've seen it looks nearly exactly the same minus palette and slight object changes, which is a disappointing "my first rom hack" kind of thing.

13. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

That was me, lol. There wasn't a lot of time for character stuff in this one, but I wanted to do a little bit of subtle acknowledging who has met who before.

14. Fadaway

Fadaway

Tyson, the animation is top-notch as always. The amount of work put into this from the ground up is stunning and noticeable. It's the best Sonic animated content I've seen yet, and some of the best 2D animation I've seen in a while anywhere.

I'd been hoping for a Mirage Saloon-at-night motif in Plus because a glalaxy of bright stars in the desert sky at night makes too much sense. Nobody would want a missed opportunity like that! I'm happy seeing these screens so far (still hoping we'll see a full starry night sky happen, but so far, so good with the night vibes). Now, if only Ristar could make a cameo.. (hint hint, nudge nudge) :D

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Aaron mentioned on twitter that this would be the last trailer for Sonic Mania.
    I personally would've liked at least one more, but that doesn't mean they won't give us more information about the game...hopefully ?

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Shame the trailer doesn't include Angel Island, I feel like that's something they should've featured and highlighted more. Other than that, I'm liking most other stuff that was shown. :)

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The Hyper Potions remix featuring Jun Senoune is now available to purchase on Google Play.

18. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I always thought that the developers made a mistake in PGZ1 by putting a regular shield in the beginning when you actually need a bubble shield to access the 1-up just a few steps away. With Mighty's new move I guess the 1-up was always just meant for him. (I still think they should change the shield, though)

I can't add anymore positive things to the convo that hasn't already been said, but this right here is bugging the heck outta me.

This here is pretty ugly. The colors are just bad. Brown sky? Dull orange and purple watter? I understand that they're trying the envoke Sunset Hill from Megamix, but all the brown looked bad in that hack too. Sonic Advance 3 did it so much better in 2004

[​IMG]

If they couldn't be bothered to change the sky and watter to fit then maybe they should've just made a pastel morning palette or a night one. Really surpised that this is what they went with.

That's really my only major gripe with what I've seen Mighty's ability is also underwhelming, but it's not bad. Love the way the he and Ray run. Can't wait for the release

19. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Is it July 17 yet

20. Pengi

Pengi

https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/989236632971755520

Aaron Webber just tweeted: