don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Turbohog

Turbohog

Are you living in an alternate reality? They are charging for it. It's called Mania Plus.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Apparently the level transitions are part of the free update, the Plus-exclusive content is behind the DLC menu.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

Oh, my mistake. Well good on them! That content should have been in the base game in the first place, so I'm glad they are supposedly going to release it for free.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, that's some nice stuff coming soon. Can't wait.

...What's he supposed to be doing at the beginning? Is he going to do that all the time now? I don't get it.

5. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    It looks like it, yes. And he's just charging up. It's a super saiyan thing.

6. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Really upset at..

...majority of the Metal Sonic fight changes.

To get the good outta the way, I like:
    - Destroying a Mini Silver Sonic releases 4 energy balls.
    - Metal Sonic Kai

Changes I don't like about this fight:
    - The phase where Metal Sonic summons the Mini Silver Sonics only takes 3 hits to defeat him instead of 4, nerfing him.
    - The path (where you dodge Metal's attacks) towards the last phase was shortened.
    - A checkpoint star post was added before the last phase
    - The original last phase was replaced with Metal Sonic Kai instead of just adding Metal Sonic Kai as another phase.

Sonic bosses for the most part are usually always pushovers... Why the difficulty nerf? The boss isn't even that hard to begin with... In addition I've seen the argument of the original last phase with Metal and the wall being too easy since the wall hold your rings, but this could have easily been patched so the rings go through the walls. As well, Stardust Speedway act 2 is a short stage, so is it really necessary to make the boss short?

Probably not going to update my steam version. The Metal Sonic changes rub me the wrong way.

Everything else in the update as a whole I love.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Good to see level transitions are being worked on. I think it'd be a good idea to play the final boss music during that SSZ>TMZ cutscene.

8. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    just to be crystal clear: every single bit of leaked stuff we are seeing is from a patch to the base game that enables the purchase of the DLC at all. No one was able to buy the DLC.

9. Fadaway

Fadaway

The animated ice block sprites are in. That's all I ever really wanted. I've never been a fan of wasted sprite animations. So far, this looks GRAND. They're sticking the landing with Plus phenomenally.

Thank you, whomever “accidentally” leaked this update. It definitely helps towards passive gamers' continued interest.

The new Metal battle looks great. Being that I'm not keen on wasting sprite animations (nor boss gimmicks), what will become of Metal Sonic's supercharged electro-ball attack during the 3rd phase of the boss fight?? It was a genuinely nice touch, to be honest. Everyone needs Metal Sonic's electro-balls in their, um, lives. Maybe have Metal Sonic do the attack only once, just so it's in the game in some way. Right before the little silver bastards are birthed in phase 2, perhaps have Metal catch the seasoned Mania player off guard by launching his balls? :D

Also, I'm still holding out hope they tease a new zone at the last minute and blow everyone's minds (it could happen!!)

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I'd like to think that this is Sega allowing the Mania staff to work on to other/personal projects, while still having them on speed dial for when they're ready to greenlight another classic Sonic project in the future. I've also said it before that if Sega's going to make a Mania followup, I'd prefer they take their time with it and give an expanded scope/budget, instead of quickly churning it out and making what's effectively a straight Mania 2. (Though I'd allow for a straight Mania 2 on the condition that the developers used the notion of remixed zones and ideas to give the Genesis gameplay a proper 3D debut.)

If anything I'd say whether Sega would pass on a Mania 2 or not was a lot more uncertain a couple of months ago. The fact that Mania Plus (mainly the retail release, the DLC also applies) and the Mania Adventures miniseries exist (with Sega bringing in additional studios for both projects nonetheless) gives me hope that even they aren't that clueless.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They don't do that when charging, they stand still with their hair moving just like he always did. He looks like he really needs a toilet now.

12. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    They do that when charging up. It's not the exact same, but it seems clear to me that it's reference to that, specially considering the extra sparks when he makes that pose.

13. Nexeno

Nexeno

Usually I can't use the TV at home and weekends and holidays are usually spend somewhere other then home, if we are at home on a holiday then I can't use the TV. Sigh. That's why I was planning to buy a Switch(if I can use the TV:Dock, If not: Undock). But I wondered if there was going to be Sonic. And I saw that there was Sonic Mania and oh boy how happy I was. But I didn't get a Switch last year. But I would be getting one this year. I woundered how long Sonic Mania would be new. Then... I see..... SONIC MANIA PLUS![\B]

But then I see the release date and... It's close to my Birthday! Almost all odd are for me, So I am Hyper mode excited about Mania Plus!

Thanks Team Mania(I invented that name)

-Nexeno

Thanks for reading this too!

14. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR

Provisional Member
    USA, Florida
    http://leafosgaming.wixsite.com/leafos
    There isn't much information about this Sonic Mania Plus, but I am really hoping to be able to play through all the missing levels from Sonic 1, 2, 3, and CD in one huge pack/transition system. Would love to see all those levels packed into a DLC and be able to run through all of them remixed and redesigned. Ice Cap Zone music was godly tune that I couldn't get out of my head, and I am not talking about the PC version, but the original original. Before this weird micheal jackson comparison came to play.

Here is hoping Sega/Developers take the challenge. If not, hope modders do.

Really also want to see Sonic Classic Heroes on this, where is that flamewing dude.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I get that we're all very excited about the Plus expansion but, being realistic, we'll be lucky if we get any additional level.

16. Felik

Felik

Loving all the little things they added/tweaked except for one thing. That Super Sonic idle animation. Not sure if it just looks out of place or it's the grumpy old man speaking inside of me but I think it looks weird and unnecessary. Super Sayan or not, I prefer the way it was before.

17. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    This game is really made with love. The changes are everything we hoped.

18. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Spoiler tags, guys.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The original Metal Sonic fight is probably one of the longest in the game. It has like 4 phases and Metal can get in a lot of cheap shots in an area not exactly littered with rings. To top it all off the final phase is just cheap. It was just attack during invincibility frames and get your rings back, that and there were pacing issues. You could go too fast and Metal would be just out of reach or too slow and get trapped by the wall.

I think the changes they made were fair and the new final phase just looks more interesting and is a nice nod to Chaotix

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... I also think that all those changes were for the (much) better.
    The whole fight did feel a bit too long and changing a kinda-lame moving wall for a new effing Metal Sonic Kai is probably the best change they made.

EDIT: Also, I just love how the badnik bounces the Ruby away and jumps cheerfully at the end.