don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    My only argument for GG games being seperate is that the Mega Drive JP manuals basically block any events from happening between Sonic's arrival on Westside Island (and meeting Tails), all the way to the end of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
    Also with each GG game being set on South Island with the plots implying the Emeralds are South Island exclusive, it does seem like the Game Gear games have their own seperate lore that clashes with the main series.
    In other words, I'm with Hitlersaurus Christ on this one. :v:

2. Felik

Felik

You do realize that by doing this strat you'd have to wait through at least three cycles of laser/claw attacks instead of just two, right?

3. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Yeah.

Actually, wait, not if you get those four hits in at the very beginning, which is super easy to do.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Also, implying those struggling with the boss haven't thought about dodging the projectiles is pretty stupid. Of course you have to bloody dodge them =P

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I also found it massively unintuitive. It wasn't until about my second or third playthrough that I found out by accident that spindashing it was the key - before I was juggling it by jumping...

...wait, you can destroy those little bastards?

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    You can get 6 in with proper timing and if you bounce from the side.

Not from the streams I've seen

Everyone tries to brute force the thing and wonders why it doesn't work.

7. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I haven't seen anyone try, really! Most of the complaints I've seen (again, aside from the wonky issues with the platforms sometimes) have been "whenever I lose my rings, this boss seems unwinnable", implying people aren't getting by without taking hits. Incidentally, if that doesn't apply to you, my video isn't directed at you! Not all Sonic players etc. etc.

I was pretty sassy for Fun Internet Video Points, but, like... y'all here give this boss so much shit, it gets kinda annoying. It's way more learnable than people seem willing to try.

8. Chebghobbi

Chebghobbi

In a couple of places, yes. Usually when they're near a corner angled away from the player. They release an animal but it's probably an oversight by the developers. Mind you, Grabbers, Jawzes and Jellignites only release animals when defeated, not when they self destruct...

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I know it's unlikely, but in Plus Mania I hope we get to destroy these suckers:
    [​IMG]

10. Pengi

Pengi

What did Iizuka say?

The Japanese Sonic & Tails 2 (Triple Trouble) manual's story describing Knuckles as "a stranger" cemented the Game Gear titles as a separate timeline, I think. In the Game Gear timeline, Sonic 2's Mecha Sonic (Silver Sonic) could be viewed as the precursor to Triple Trouble's Metal Sonic.

It's great to see elements from the GG titles make their way into Mania though - especially Fang. I hope the Silver Sonics are kept around as Metal Sonic's minions.

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    With all the complaints in mind, that's the last time they do 8-bit fan service. :v:

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean I thought the silver sonic thing was charming lol

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Eh, there's some basis. You get a similar, screen consuming flash in Lava Reef when the Death Egg fires on the Zone. Hang on, I'll find the general timeline...

Random tidbit relating to Sonic 2, hence the "early launch", the Death Egg appears to be incomplete, in an ironic mirror of Star Wars.
    [​IMG]

I wonder if we'll get a shoutout to that in the Mania subseries, it'd be interesting to see a half-complete Death Egg.

14. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    In response to that timeline, where does Adventure fit in? Does Modern Sonic start after the last game in that timeline? I realize there could be several ways of answering this, but I'm just curious to see what people think.

15. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    After Sonic Jam. It's even written under the Sonic Jam spoiler.

16. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    No Sonic Pocket Adventure in the timeline?

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Ah damn, I knew there was a game I was forgetting. Just put it before Sonic JAM, since Robotnik's absent in that game and SPA has him change to his Adventure outfit.

Actually, with Sonic Mania and Forces, I should probably add them somewhere as well.

18. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I can't find it now, but I think there was an interview where Iizuka didn't want the Game Gear games in Sonic Generations because he thought they were too old. Although, as I can't find it, I wonder if I am misremembering it. Although there is this interview where he describes Sonic Generations 3DS as "a celebration of Sonic's portable history". So perhaps the absence of GG games is a sign that they aren't part of the history (Although I admit that conclusion is a stretch. And yes, I know Generations 3DS doesn't feature any GBA games, but they were planned to be included based on the interview).

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    There we go, the Mania subseries and Forces (and Pocket Adventure) added, with my interpretation of the Phantom Ruby subplot. Bit fanon-ish, but let's face it we're never going to get a proper explanation for the Phantom Ruby. Also, once again, sod the alternate dimension stuff.

How do you guys think the Phantom Ruby works, anyway? Forces says it only causes illusions and I'm inclined to think that most of what we see are indeed illusions, including the sudden sand of Green Hill Zone, but illusions that can harm due to mental influence. You don't need to actually be attacked to be given a heart attack out of fright, and pain is the mind's alarm system.

It would pretty much mean Sonic Mania did and didn't happen, in that the group make their way around the illusions to get from Angel Island to Little Planet to stop Robotnik's plans, but things like Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant Zone didn't really happen.

Regardless, what are your thoughts on the Phantom Ruby?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sonic Pocket Adventure is probably telling how the events in Sonic 1, 2 and 3K happened in the "modern" dimension, judging by the green eyes. =P