don't click here

Sonic Mania Adventures

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LukyHRE, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    YOU HEARD IT HERE FOLKS, PLEASURE CASTLE, AKA TWINKLE PARK CONFIRMED FOR MANIA ADVENTURES! Say no more, Tyson. I'm making a 10 minute reaction video on Youtube AS WE SPEAK!!!
    I'd better confirm this post as a joke because there's so many ironic reactions that can be had before one no longer becomes ironic :v:/>

Sounds like the reaction everywhere has been 110% nutty positive. Well deserved - 3 minutes of footage blew away any previous animated Sonic attempt *cough*notcountingtheholyOVA*cough* and it couldn't have been better. If I'd seen this on TV as a kid I would lost my shit .

I think this is fair to say. Regardless of each fan's stance on canon and timelines, it seems that both Mania and Sonic 4 are direct sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles (classic/modern depending) with not much wiggle room for in-between adventures.

I'm generally of the thinking that Mania is the beginning of a whole new blank slate of future games, with anything made 1995-1997 just being part of Modern Sonic's history instead.

Still, I'll be interested to see if we do see any call-fowards to Chaotix/Fighters/R/3D Blast in Mania Adventures, as there's no reason they couldn't be part of the Mania's canon either or instead.

2. i think now's the time to not only bring back Sonic ARGH, but get sega to make it 100% canon

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think the whole timelines distinction may be even easier than that...

You know how the Ninja Turtles in each universe look different? Classic and Modern Sonic look different as well so, perhaps, anything with "black pupils Sonic" just belongs to the Sonic Mania "dimension".

For example, the Sonic CD flashbacks in Adventure feature "green eyes Sonic", so those weren't referencing the game we've played but the similar events that happened in the Sonic 4 Ep. I & II dimension. Sonic R as we played it would belong in the Mania timeline, even if the "modern" timeline may have had a similar Grand Prix happening but with all the characters in their modern designs.

In a nutshell, Sonic Generations and Forces may be more Turtles Forever than Back To The future.

4. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Long story short, games that look like they're connected probably are and everything else is fanfiction? =P I believe we're doomed the day they announce a game that unifies all the plots.

5. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Yeah, I can definitely see it like that. It's a good way to look at it and that's probably more-or-less how Sonic Team are viewing the games now. (does this mean we can get 'Sonic the Fighters: Modern Edition'? :v: )

I mean, for the time being I'm sticking with my Back to the Future rules out of personal preference, but I'm definitely keen to see what the future holds for both Classic and Modern iterations.

Also, more mind blowing that curretly it's not through games that we're seeing continuations of Mania and Forces' stories, but through Comics and Animations of which both Tyson Hesse are involved with in some way or another. Couldn't have said that a few years ago!

6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    With that explanation, Sonic Pocket Adventure connects Modern sonic and Classic sonic together practically perfectly. through out most of the Game Eggman is in his classic outfit, but at the end he's in his Adventure gear.

7. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Art styles are just art styles. Sonic in 2006 for example is taller and lankier than the other games, it doesn't mean he's a separate Sonic.

ARGH was indeed the bee's knees

8. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    What can I say that hasn't been said? It's gleeful fun.

...Actually, I know what the tone reminded me of, and it's art from a certain ancient fan project:

[​IMG]

9. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The action picks up in later episodes, but "Man of the year" is more in-line with what we're going for. We have a fraction of the resources that a TV production schedule has, so an action epic isn't really an option right now. Maybe one day, but the fact that this is happening at all is pretty miraculous.

Edit: This isn't a defense of the shorts, it's alright be let down by them or just not like them at all. Just giving some context.

10. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    I guess the rest of the budget is going to Sonic Boom season 3.

While we got you hear, I got a question: Do you know if Iizuka ever played Freedom Planet? Really would like to hear his views on it if he did.

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Great job on these cartoon shorts! This is a real treat, even with all the questions.

Since the Mania universe didn't have the events of Sonic 4, it's the modern universe that has had the missing link for the past 6 years. I'm still wondering what would have been revealed with that secret sound effect at the end. Little planet must still be doomed in the modern universe and is perfectly fine in the Mania-verse.

12. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I don't know honestly, but even if I did I couldn't really be going around divulging the words of someone else without their permission, sorry. I don't think it's very respectful of their privacy.

13. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Fare enough, guess I got to wait for someone to ask about it in a Q & A panel.

14. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

That's your best bet. I hope my answer didn't seem harsh, I didn't mean it to be. I'm just generally not comfortable relaying second-hand information, lest it be misinterpreted.

15. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

You're fine. Your mouth can get you fired like it did this guy.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-14-nintendo-employee-fired-after-podcast-remarks-on-localisation-fans

16. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Actually, Tyson, tying both convos in this topic together at once - When you went on the Sonic stream with Aaron to talk about the process behind the Mania intro, and got asked why the pre-order trailer didn't have a CD button, you both made some jokes about it "being on a different elevator".

If you're being a lil more forthright in this topic, what the heck does that actually mean for canon? Does Mania literally replace it somehow? (If you can't answer, that's ok - just wanted to probe for the opportunity since I'll never be able to go to a SXSW...)

Reiterating that everything you've worked on is glorious (but not just because of you - major props to the exemplary teams alongside you, too!), by the way. ^u^

17. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I'd say think of the intro in more of the abstract than actual story representation. More like a music video, than say, the CD intro. Obviously there's no actual elevator in Mania, they don't fly through warp rings to get to levels, etc. That's all I can really say about that.
    Sorry guys, you're probably not going to get any satisfying answers out of me that aren't strictly boring stuff about like, the animation process.

18. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A

Looking at the design of the elevator, the CD wouldn't fit. Same thing with Knuckles Chaotix or KC.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Which is not boring at all. I was wondering myself which programs are you guys using through the whole process and why were they chosen over the alternatives. =|

20. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

[​IMG]
    Elevators were a mistake