don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I wish I could remember the specific things people said about it - maybe it's less of a 'hard' fight, more of an awkward one? Also, wasn't there also an instant-death glitch with that boss? 99% sure it got fixed, but they may have been a factor in the initial complaints.
    I think one of the gameplay reasons I read was that it was a bit of a pain fighting it as Knuckles due to the lower jump height, which mucked up your platform recovery options.

Personally I think being a late-game boss it's pretty appropriate difficulty, but I just recall it standing out as a common moan online for the first few weeks..

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  3. Turbohog

Turbohog

My biggest complaint is that some bosses are nearly impossible to best without being cheap with Knuckles. Hope they fix those. Also I wouldn't mind some improvements to the Silver Sonic phase of the Metal Sonic fight. That part makes me want to quit playing the game entirely.

4. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

There's nothing wrong with that part. That is where you just need to git gud. The spindash is the key, and they will always hit Metal from the ground with how they bounce off the wall.

5. Fadaway

Fadaway

I'm a big fan of the Mania bosses. Some could possibly be tweaked a bit, but each one is enjoyable and some of the fights are downright cathartic. Heavy Rider is one of the best Sonic boss fights I've ever played. And, Titanic Monarch's end boss is pure greatness, IMO?right up there with Big Arm. I have zero complaints about the bosses.

6. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Honestly, I think the bosses I really hate most in stock Mania are FBZ2, HCZ2, LRZ2 Sonic/Tails, and TMZ1.
    I found it really difficult to develop a reliable rhythm in bouncing the spider into the spikes in FBZ2.
    The HCZ2 boss is just tedious; why did they think adding the entire S3 HCZ1 boss, slow and difficult to hit without cheesing it with invincibility frames as it was, was necessary, especially after there was already a long autoscroller just prior to it?!
    I also found it really difficult to work with Heavy Rider's attack patterns to hit him reliably, again, unless I cheesed it with invincibility frames.
    And Red/Crimson Eye's always just been a pain to deal with, especially as Knuckles, though of course the difference with Knuckles is that he doesn't have to fight it in S3 whereas he does in Mania.

I mean, I readily admit that I suck at video games, but some of them could stand to be a little tiny bit more lenient.

That said, I actually do like some of the bosses people tend to complain about. Heavy Shinobi is surprisingly fun for me, and my main beef with Oil Ocean isn't the bosses (which are mostly fine, though Meter Droid is a bit boring) so much as the level itself. It feels tedious to go through, especially in act 2 where the threat of toxic mist is always hanging over your head.

7. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    A lot of people had trouble fighting it with Knuckles. His lower jump height meant that if you ended up in the oil, getting back on a platform was not an easy task.

8. Felik

Felik

Not only that. If you don't have a shield you're practically screwed because you either have to wait for prolonged periods of time to safely defeat it without getting hit by bullets. Or bruteforce through it praying to get lucky and not get hit by bullets twice since you're practically guaranteed to get hit and lose all your rings at least once.
    Also amount of just waiting and having nothing to do through it's invulnerable phase is insane.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Very random post, but I had a dream last night where this came out and for some reason Ray's sprites were grotesque and off model and suddenly all the menus of the game looked like they were slapped together in MSPaint. Also I think Sally from the Archie comics was a playable character for some reason.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, the long, mandatory waiting time until you can inflict damage was also a quite annoying problem with the Hidden Palace boss, in the Sonic 2 remake...

11. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Just remembered as well. Was there ever an obvious way to defeat the TM Act 1 boss as Knuckles without just damage-boosting it? I've yet to do a successful no-damage run on that boss as Knux.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    https://track6.mixtape.moe/ewqrfx.webm

13. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Oh cheers! Wow, you really have to scrape the top of Knux's sprite to get that hit in. For some reason my mind never thought it possible without standing right underneath. We can close the book on that one then! :)

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Worth noting that every non-Sonic scener I've spoken to who owns Mania has said that the OOZ2 boss is the hardest one in the game. I believe it's also the only one in the game now I still die to.

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

I guess I just find that part of the boss unintuitive. If you don't know to do that it's a nightmare. I doubt they'll address that, but I think they absolutely should address problems with boss fights that occur simply because of Knuckles' lower jump height.

16. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6twUWnga2Q

(Disclaimer: Any and all condescension displayed in this video does not apply to people taking issue with occasionally getting sucked down with the platforms into the oil while standing on them. That shit sucks, and though it's not something I run into hardly ever... I get it.)

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Tip regarding OOZ boss especially when the tentacles are up firing at you. Just hold down the jump button when hitting Eggman on the top, it's really that simple.

18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I actually like OO's act2 boss (and the whole zone for that matter).

As soon as the fight starts you can immediately get in four quick-hits (Eggman always rises in the same place at the beginning). Then when Eggman rises for the second time you just need to jump on top of him again to land another four hits. So it doesn't take particularly long to beat at all. Even if you don't have a shield you can still beat without taking damage-even though it takes a bit longer. I prefer Mania's version over Sonic 2's.

The only boss that I ever die against is Heavy Shinobi in PG act2. I'd actually really like that boss if it was possible to beat without taking damage (I can beat it without getting hit about 1 in 50 attempts). The problem I have is near the end when it throws three of those shurikens at Sonic. It leaves hardly any room to maneuver to avoid damage whilst trying to attack. Even having the flame-shield equipped doesn't really help. So every time I fight Heavy Shinobi I just go Super Sonic. If anyone here has the perfect technique for defeating that boss, then please show me XP

Some of the bosses are a bit rough around the edges, but overall Team Mania did an amazing job with them. It will be fascinating to see what tweaks/improvements they make to the bosses for Mania Plus.

I like all act1 bosses, except for LR1 (for the reasons I stated in my previous post) and TM act1 boss. I just think it was a poor decision to bring back the last act1 boss from S&K. IMO the final act1 boss in Mania should have bean a completely new boss fight. I'd hardly call the boss fight in S&K Death Egg act1 particularly memorable. Just seems like an odd choice and they even went to the trouble of re-imagining the second phase of the fight. So they may as well have re-designed the first part as well.

19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It could be worse; the cockpit itself could fire a laser from its snout to shoot at whoever has the misfortune of being on the side its aimed at. :v:

20. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    You're joking right? Honestly can we try to be a little more mindful of others' complaints?
    No, it's not terribly hard, and there's a surefire way to hit Metal every time.
    But seriously, there IS something wrong with it.
    It's terribly boring and honestly not very fun at all.
    It doesn't quite make me want to quit playing the game, but I am consciously thinking about how boring it is while I play it.