don't click here

Sonic Mania Adventures

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LukyHRE, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Montblanc

Montblanc

I thought these were the Eggrobo's digging holes from extracting the Phantom Ruby in Sonic Mania's introduction (were all began). At least the music, the beach and the vegetation seems from Angel Island.

It's me or all the artwork for Mania Adventures that was shown was from this episode? Eggman laughing face, looking back with one eye visible...

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Probably this. We see the Ruby get pulled up in Mania but who knows how many digging attempts it took? Probably just going off a vague signal in the area..
    Assuming this is still grounded Angel Island of course, at least the framing and music of the scene seems to call back to that.

3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    This is what we should have had over the last 25 years.

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I watched this with my girlfriend who is totally not a gamer, and we both laughed with glee the whole episode. This is just plain awesome. I completely LOVE the whole artistic direction they took; this feels like a classic Tom and Jerry episode from the Golden Age of Animation.

I can't find a single fault with this, except its short duration. Can't wait for the next one!

5. So how is Metal Sonic present if he wasn't recovered till Sonic 4?

6. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    Sonic 4 doesn't apply here. Different timeline/dimension now.

7. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Where did Sonic get that emerald
    Where is the emerald from TYSON
    TYSON WHERE IS THE EMERALD FROM
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE CANON

The Sonic ride reference was awesome, I used to watch that short all the time as a kid.

He was already fixed in Sonic Mania, too, but I guess that could have been an illusion.

8. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

We intentionally didn't show anything from later episodes at the reveal. We didn't want to spoil the whole thing, after all.

9. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    So how much input did Sega/Sonic Team have on these shorts? Are there any guidelines or story elements they wanted you to put in it were you able to just make whatever you wanted to?

10. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I can't go into specifics, naturally. Hope you'll understand. All I can say is that it was a pleasure collaborating.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

No matter the details, the end product seems great! Great work man. Excited for you and those involved.

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Completely understandable! Thanks for the answer!

It always makes me really happy to see when things like this end up being a positive experience.

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    About Metal Sonic: Sonic 4 messed up with Metal Sonic anyway, as it was stated that he was revived in Chaotix.

14. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

And also he was in the tube in Adventure.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I don't think Sonic Team ever really considers Chaotix when they make stuff. It was a spin-off on a failed console that not many people have played, and the “main” members of the team weren't involved in it. If it weren't for the comics, most people probably wouldn't know about the Chaotix before they were basically rebooted in Heroes.
    That being said, there's nothing saying it doesn't happen after Sonic 4, so you could probably just slot it in there:
    S1 -> CD -> 2 -> 3K -> S4 -> Chaotix -> R (since it's apparently canon according to Ian) -> SA etc

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Watched the first episode yesterday and it was great. I didn't expect it to be this funny, I was laughing during the whole thing
    Characters animations are great too. However, I'm not a big fan of the environments. Something about them feel a little out of place. Maybe it's because the characters have black outline and they don't ?

17. Felik

Felik

Watched the first episode and it was good.
    TBH I was expecting more of Sonic CD opening/ending but got more of "Man of the year". Which was a bit of a letdown but hopefully next episodes will be me action/adventure rather than slapstick.

18. Pengi

Pengi

There are a couple of things going on. First is that it's best to assume Iizuka really wasn't kidding when he said that they were treating Team Chaotix as new characters in Sonic Heroes. The writers weren't just having a laugh when Charmy asked who Eggman was. Sonic Team were treating Chaotix 32X as non-canonical, and stuck by that decision.

Second is that, as of Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are considered to be separate universes. Sonic 4, since it used the modern designs of Sonic, Tails and Eggman, would be considered part of the Modern Sonic universe. In an interview last year, when asked about Mighty's absence, Iizuka said that he was part of the Classic Sonic world and still exists there. He also doubled down on the other Chaotix characters having been "interpreted for the modern vision of the games". So the intention is clear - Sonic Team don't consider SegaSonic arcade or Chaotix 32X to be canonical to the Modern Sonic universe. However, both those games could still be canonical to the Classic Sonic universe.

The slightly confusing part is that events very similar to Sonic 1, 2, 3&K and CD have also taken place in the Modern Sonic universe. So there is some overlap. I think it's going to be treated like it was in SA1, where we saw a flashback to Metal Sonic chasing Sonic and Amy, but it was the 12 year old, red dress version of Amy.

So taking everything we've been told into account, the continuities of the two Sonic universes probably look something like this:

CLASSIC SONIC
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    (SegaSonic the Hedgehog??)
    (Sonic the Hedgehog CD?)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
    (SegaSonic the Hedgehog??)
    (Sonic the Hedgehog CD?)

[Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations]
    Sonic Mania
    [Classic Sonic in Sonic Forces]
    Sonic Mania Adventures

Since Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles form a continuous narrative, it's still unclear whether SegaSonic and Sonic CD take place before Sonic 2 or after S3&K. It's also unclear which happens first, SegaSonic or Sonic CD (usually I'd say whichever was released first, but Sega have been inconsistent about what month SegaSonic was actually released).

Then there's the question of whether Sonic Mania takes place before or after Chaotix. In the Press Garden to Stardust Speedway transition, it looks like Eggman is trying to ascertain Metal Sonic's location on Little Planet, which would indicate that he's been missing since Sonic CD. On the other hand, the boss battle has two tubes with wrecked Metal Sonic shells. Are these shells from CD and Chaotix? Or are they from CD and Generations, since both were in Stardust Speedway?

I'm inclined to say that Mania takes place before Chaotix. I guess we'll have to see if Mania Adventures or Mania Plus sheds any light on the matter.

MODERN SONIC
    Events similar to Sonic the Hedgehog
    (Events similar to Sonic the Hedgehog CD?)
    Events similar to Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Events similar to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
    (Events similar to Sonic the Hedgehog CD?)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4
    Sonic Adventure
    Sonic Shuffle
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Advance
    Sonic Advance 2
    Sonic Heroes
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    Sonic Forces

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe the follow up to Sonic Mania will be "Sonic 4 Classic". :v:

20. Felik

Felik

Well technically the "Sonic 4" title is still not taken.