don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I wish this was a thing. With & Knuckles being a mode in the game it'd be nice if characters could interact with Knuckles like they could with Tails. They did have characters ride Knuckles while gliding in Sonic Advance 3.

Idk what they'd do with Sonic as a partner though. Hell him spawning back makes no sense when you select him, he just uses his peel out move (although it's odd that they assigned an animation to that at all, almost like they planned on us altering the game to enable whatever partner you wanted. Given their origins though I think they knew that would happen).

2. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Sonic doesn't look like a good friend to have at all.

3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I hereby vote against Knuckles riding Sonic.
    The physics of it just make me uncomfortable.

Also that second sprite of Sonic pulling Knuckles' hair is kinky as all heck.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I do hope they add in Stage Transitions to complete the ones we got in base-Sonic Mania.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Description for Mania Plus on Amazon Germany says the game will also be able to save/replay speedruns, as well as have optimized boss fights. Kudos for SonicWindBlue for pointing that out.

Optimized boss fights sounds like a megaton, considering they are arguably the weakest part of the game due to their pacing and providing minimal windows to attack.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Optimized boss fights? I wonder what that could mean.

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Really hoping this means they've fixed the unfair boss fights. About a quarter of the bosses in Mania aren't fair fights (such as LR act1 and PG act2). Boss fights should be tough, yes, but also fair (i.e with skill you should be able to defeat them every-time without taking damage).

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Wait, LR1 isn't unfair at all. The boss is super easy.

9. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    I had trouble with LR2 boss, but that's just me being bad at it. But hey, it made me laugh really hard.

10. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Especially if you do it the fun way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_W87ind94o

11. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yes, the LR1 fight is unfair.

The actual fight with the boss itself isn't the problem (and yes I also use the trick of hiding underneath when it lands after you've damaged it twice - allows you to beat it more quickly). The issue (which is perfectly illustrated in the video posted - 0:15) is the rocks/spikes that full from the ceiling which are virtually impossible to avoid without getting hit. They fall down too quickly not allowing Sonic or Tails enough time to get out of the way without taking damage. You can't react quick enough. Okay, yes it is occasionally possible to avoid the falling rocks without getting hit, but it's down to pure luck if you manage to and there's no obvious pattern as to how the rocks fall. Believe me, I've tried everything I can think of to find a safe technique, there isn't one.

The actual boss itself is a really nice concept, being able to use different methods to destroy it is clever. Overall though, like I said it's still not a fair fight.

You have a slightly better chance of avoiding the spikes when playing with Knuckles because of his shorter height...

We get the same problem with the Mystic Cave boss in the remastered version for Sonic 2, where the rocks from the ceiling fall down too quickly.

The LR2 boss is tricky, but not unfair. Best technique I've found with experimenting; position Sonic at the very corner of the screen (equipped preferably with the flame shield). When the HBH (on the motor-bug) moves past you on the rail above, jump up and attack. Timing is everything, but it's easy to do without getting hit. Then race to the other corner (just encase the HBH charges at you) and just repeat the same techniqie. I hardly ever get hit against this boss.

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Great, I'm gone for a few weeks and now Ray and Mighty are relevant again :v: What a time to be alive
    Anyway this look interesting, I'm just a bit frustrated with the way they handled the announcement; I find it a bit difficult to be hyped about a jpeg published on twitter. (No trailer ? Not even some screenshots, seriously ?)
    When the most up to date source of information is Amazon Germany, you know you done fucked up :v:

But I'm interested to play with Mighty again, and Encore mode sound interesting. Just wish we had more information, especially since the upgrade apparently isn't gonna be free...

13. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I think it's devspeak for: "We patched Oil Ocean Act 2's boss and you're still whining on your let'splays??"

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Outside of Oil Ocean 1 (because you can cheese it before the fight even starts), Studiopolis 2 (which Sonic and Tails can hit without any issues due to their increase jump height) and the final boss (which is just lame), the boss fights in Mania were the best part about the game. They we're actually fights and the variety of the encounters required some thought process rather than jump on Eggman 8 times to proceed.

He made a poor decision of sticking close to the boss that he put himself in an inescapable position. You need to have the reaction time of a slug to get hit by those spikes. They have a distinct shape and a slow in spawn before they drop down. The only area you should be focusing on is directly above you. Stay just far enough from the boss to give you room, pay attention and you won't get hit with any character.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And that may be because of the dodgy collision detection of the mace.

I found myself not getting hit by it many times where I should have taken damage, which was probably done because it would have been infuriating otherwise... but feels like a hack to an attack pattern that, perhaps, should have just been designed in a different way.

16. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    Iwill say, if FBZ and OOZ's bosses are more manageable, I have no complaints

17. I've seen a lot of complaints about the OOZ boss, but I'm pretty sure I beat it on the first try relatively quickly. What exactly is the problem people have with it?

18. Epicsuperleader

Epicsuperleader

While I'm with you, I think the major complaint with the boss is how much there is on screen at once, and how you basically cant get your rings back if you get hit due to the oil.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Can you guys beat that boss without getting hit?

20. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GuXCGLfng

All it really takes is some patience.