don't click here

Sonic Ready to Take 2018 by Storm at SXSW 2018

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Oh no I wasn't talking anything about any new game stuff lol sorry again. You won't hear me talk about anything like that here, I'm not gonna spill someone else's beans. There were a couple conversations happening at once I should have specified, sorry.

2. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Nothing happened :specialed:

Wondering if march 22nd was a miscommunication and they meant 23rd (why a thursday...?), otherwise maybe something glitched idk

Best bday present is no sonic news ? yeeeeeeeeee

Forreal hopefully we hear something soon just so we aren't left guessing lmao

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yeah, I mean, everyone's happy with Angel Island ups and downs in regards to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and everything was back in it's rightful place at the end of that game..

My main gripe with it being seaborne again in Mania is that Knuckles is not reacting in any way to what's going on in his intro. He would definitely be going straight to HPZ to sort that shit out if something was wrong rather than chill and relax right next to the sea.
    Regarding the "Why", I like the theory of the HPZ machinery, and I like to think that strange rocket-like machine in we see in the background might have some significance.

Sadly the only real answer right now is "because we want to copy Sonic 3's introduction" rather than any of that dreaded LORE getting in the way. ;)

Alternatively, Knuckles parking Angel Island by the sea for a giggle could work, but I think I've posted these same thoughts too many times now. :v:

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    If they wanted to shrug it off, they could just say something like it has periods where it floats down to sea-level, but could still rise back up any second.

5. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

If nothing else, Aaron needs to get work that Sonic 4 lore magic again and get Big the Cat to sign off on something like that, just so we can all sleep at night.

6. Man it's been ages since I really worried about this, but I think the general idea is something like "Angel Island is usually in the sky, but then a moon space station crashed into it knocking it down to the land and the Master Emerald was stolen right around the time the space station re-launched so it stayed in the water except when you play as Knuckles but this is run-on sentence is getting too long so let's end it here."

I have no idea why it's in the sea again in the Mania intro, but I'm not really that worried about it. I guess Knuckles is just okay with being at sea level after integrating with society a bit or something? ...can he control how high Angel Island is floating?

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    -The Phantom Ruby appears on Angel Island.
    -Island falls again due to the ruby interfering with the Master Emerald's power.
    -Knuckles goes to check on the M.E. and sees it's still there.
    -He thinks "Oh well!" and takes a nap.
    -The Heavies steal the Ruby.

Text in italics may or may not have ever happened. :specialed:

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

This is now canon. Let's get this in stone. It's not like Knuckles knows what the heck is going on with his Island most of the time anyway.. :v:

[​IMG]

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Not to assume there has to be canonicity, but even in Sonic Adventure, in the past when we see the destruction of the echidna tribe, Angel Island is in the ocean. And there's a permanent bridge to it from Red Mountain so we can assume it's been a permanent part of the landscape. The master emerald and the chaos emeralds have been in place for an indeterminate amount of time yet the island doesn't float.

Unless the whole place is Angel island and all of it floated in the past and now only the shrine floats. Ala Sky Sanctuary zone.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    For what it's worth this was always Fleetway canon (possibly Archie as well?) so I don't see why it couldn't work in the game universe either.

11. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Although SA1 isn't clear at showing it, that whole "Red Mountain area" (including Red Mountain and Ice Cap) is all Angel Island. The floating area connected to Red Mountain is just another Master Emerald shrine away from Hidden Palace Zone it seems.

Regarding Angel Island in the past, we know that it was definitely a part of the main land, specifically the Mystic Runs, but after the Echidnas were wiped out, Angel Island was 'thrown' into the sky.
    Although Sonic Adventure doesn't outright say it in-game, I believe the Japan guidebook mentioned it. Either way, here's some wiki excerpts.

- Sonic 3 - Japanese manual
    "In an ancient time, the "mystery island" was part of the main continent. A people with an extraordinary culture inhabited it. That civilization had built a peaceful and happy society using the energy of something they called "The Mighty Stone". But at a certain point, a faction of dark-minded elders tried to steal the energy of the stone, and by accident made that energy explode.
    The civilization was wiped out in a second, erased from history. Time passed, and a god descended from the sky to the newly created "mystery island". The sky god restored part of the civilization to the island, and threw the "Mighty Stone" into the open sky... "

- From Retro's Wiki on the Knuckles Clan
    "...Their civilization was wiped out almost overnight, and the energy backlash from the Master Emerald threw Angel Island into the air."

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I remember reading the story from Sonic 3's manual, and it makes sense that it could be Chaos' doing, but it doesn't explain the master emerald causing the island to float. Unless it's actually Chaos in the emerald causing the island to float after the destruction of the echidna tribe.

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

I just thought the Master Emerald has some form of sentience and it caused the island to float so history wouldn't repeat itself, but obviously that's just headcanon.

14. Pengi

Pengi

The prevailing theory at the time was that the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald counter-act each other.

3000 years ago, the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald were in the same altar, so they remained on the surface. After Chaos used the Chaos Emeralds, they were lost and the Master Emerald was alone. Without the Chaos Emeralds the Master Emerald's power lifted the land into the sky.

In Sonic Adventure, Knuckles restored the Master Emerald and Angel Island was lifted into the sky again. But because he'd placed Chaos Emeralds around the Master Emerald, it soon came crashing down again. (Knuckles only had 6 Chaos Emeralds, so that could be why it took a while to take effect.)

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Could have had something to do with Tikal's " The 7 Emeralds are the servers-" speech. Like, maybe the spell that sealed Chaos also acted to get Chaos as far away from the world as possible (aka - high up in the sky).

Yeah, not really something SEGA are going to elaborate on in future sadly but it's nice that up till SA1 we were seeing more backstory and world-building to the Emeralds

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I always assumed it was like the energy from perfect chaos inside the master emerald that caused it to make the area around it float, or something like that. It kept floating afterwards because, uh... Reasons.