don't click here

Sonic After the Sequel DX

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Whimsicott

Whimsicott

Didn't see this coming at all, a very pleasant surprise! I replayed the original in preparation for Mania so it'll be fun to play through it again with the new improvements.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    This is fucking awesome of you dude. Played your other fangames but believe it or not I'm yet to try ATS. I've been meaning to since forever as I've heard such glowing things about it - so it's awesome that when I do so it'll be with a much-improved and updated build. Thank you. Also: any chance of future wide screen support?

EDIT: And just downloaded it via your recent Mediafire link. Thinking of firing this up tonight. Impressions forthcoming.

3. Retroman

Retroman

Beautiful

4. WhoWhatWhenWhale

WhoWhatWhenWhale

Wouldn't you still be able to even if it was implemented like Mania? The drop dash only triggers when you hit the ground and uncharges if you let go, so if you tap jump it won't lock you into the dropdash, meaning you can set shields to be on doubletap and the drop dash to be on doublehold. The way ATS DX does it makes jumping to your maximum height akward, unlike Mania where you can jump as much as you want without the fear of accidentally dashing off a platform.

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    OH homebrew-centric ports of Clickteam stuff

Yeah, not happening. Though you can develop and run UWP stuff on the Xbox One for free; you just run an activation thing and bam, you can freely switch between retail and devkit modes. Then you can load and run your own code on the Xbone in devkit mode. That's probably the closest you'd get to the scenario you desire.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So any word on the bugs? Sorry, as much as I love this game, this port is riddled with bugs.

7. ohhhh shiit how did I miss this!! Instant download. One of my all time fav Sonic games

8. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I don't think anyone's mentioned this but is there a reason the Foliage Furnace intro cutscene has had its music changed to Star Fox? And several other cutscene tracks removed altogether? I can't imagine a reason for these things other than some kind of oversight and it kind of makes me feel uncomfortable for the OST's songs to be missing.

EDIT: Parhelion Peak's opening cutscene has had its music changed too. Why?

9. CyberT

CyberT

Texas
    Always working on fanart. Maybe working on a mod.
    Oh man it's my favorite Sonic fan game with a new update! There goes my next 3 hours.

List of possible improvements from what I've noticed so far:
    • Drop Dash is activated slightly later than it's Mania counterpart. (I mean like 2-3 frames later)
    • Modifiable controls
    • Widescreen
    • Cutscene fixes
    I seriously hold AtS in high regard. I like some parts of AtS over Mania. Maybe when the Mania modding scene dies down I'll try to see if I can toy around with the source.

10. Foliage Furnace is up there with the best of them, imo

11. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I've been meaning to check this game out but got sidetracked from buying a new machine that can finally run Sonic Generations at 60 fps. I've been having a blast playing that.

I shall be checking out your game shortly however and will be providing impressions and feedback. Looking forward to playing this. After Spark you're a gaming development god as far as I'm concerned.

12. Amnimator

Amnimator

The drop dash really helps recovering from the gotcha level design of ATS. Often I find myself predicting the next jump, landing on the middle of a slope. Drop dash makes things more forgiving.
    Also, this version seems more glitchy than ATS was. For some reason the game runs at half speed during the setup screen, but full speed in game. I might be an edge case, however.

13. Check it out, now

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    lol, definitely intend to mate! Heard glowing and wonderful things about it. Sounds like a must play. I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

15. Chaud

Chaud

Wow, this feels SO MUCH BETTER. I love it! The strange physics was essentially the biggest problem of the game in my opinion.

Amazing job, Lake. I mean it. Thanks for everything! :thumbsup:

16. Just bringing this thread back from the dead to say how much I love this game.

Prefer it to Mania

Completely forgot about the DX version, so will spend an evening revisiting this classic fangame

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Someone NOT LakeFepard is remaking BTS? Consider me not interested... That said, I'm gonna play this ASAP. Awesome LF!

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wouldn't dismiss it off the bat. Just because they're not LakeFepard doesn't mean that they're not qualified to make a decent Sonic game. Besides aren't all the materials for BTS public domain at this point? It's not like they'd be starting from scratch.

19. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    You are absolutely right... and I should've worded my displeasure in a more clear manner. Let me try again:

Not to do any disservice to the person/people behind the BTS remake, but color me disappointed that they are opting to remake Lake's game instead of putting their talents into an original Sonic project, or original work entirely. Despite the fact that it may very well be good, it's just not going to grab my attention the same way. For that reason, I'm not as interested in it as I am LakeFepard's remake of his own work.

20. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

something something bird guy something Member
    Source?