don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Wall jump is good and goes without saying. Just wondered if they would give him a mid-air move since literally every other character will have one. He doesn't necessarily need one, though.

See, I doubt he will get the Insta Shield because Sonic already has that ability. Yeah, Stealth did work on Megamix, but if they want to make the character unique I think they would want to avoid giving him that.

2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Given his shell, they might change the way he bounces off of enemies and objects or something.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I hope that they find some time to animate the endings properly, by the way. They were a bit embarrasing to look at, after seeing the gorgeous intro.

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    All the endings need work, in my opinion. The game is filled with details, but the endings are really short, they leave you like "...that was it? This is the end?". I know there isn't much to tell, Sonic simply gets transported to Sonic Forces universe, but I don't know, S3&K gives a more accomplishment feeling than Sonic Mania.

At the very least, the credits in Encore Mode could have a proper ending medley song instead of Mania's Credits theme (which is awesome btw, no complaining, but c'mon, I know you all were expecting a medley).

5. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Sonic has it, but only as an unlockable that can only be used in no-save mode. I know a lot of people weren't too keen the latter part, so including it in Mighty's moveset could double as a way of addressing fan feedback.

Ray will control exactly like Bubsy. 1:1 physics and everything. My uncle who works at Taxman told me.

6. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

The range of Sonic's Insta Shield was reduced for Mania, so I wouldn't mind a character with a larger attack radius. Plus, Mighty could store and swap between shields at the expense of rings in Megamix, so that's another thing to set him apart. Doubt they'd do either of those things for Mania, though.

Disappointed about Amy not being playable. If they were gonna go with a Sonic clone, I'd much prefer Sonic with a hammer (provided the hammer + spring combo is nerfed/not implemented) than Sonic with a wall jump.

7. Someone's gonna have to tell those Sonic Paradox guys that they can't use that washed up Ray drinking himself into a coma sketch anymore.

And apologies, I don't have the time right now to read through each of the prior pages, but is Sonic Mania Plus a complete standalone game, or will it also act as DLC to the original? If it's only the former, that's kind of dumb.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's a physical release on it's own right but it will be DLC for those who purchased Sonic Mania originally, so both.

9. Thank You for clearing that up!

Praying that they fill in the missing level transitions. It's the little things that make the game feel wholesome for me.

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Well, at first I was mad that Aaron was so vague about whether or not it was free or paid, but now I've decided to just hand over some more money for the Plus DLC on Switch.

As for Mighty and Ray, I kinda envision Mighty playing like he does in Chaotix, and Ray playing like a speedier Squirrel Mario from NSMBU.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Same, although even if it costs money to upgrade I will certainly upgrade Sonic Mania on the PS4 and PC. Oddly enough the other day I was debating whether or not to buy Mania on the Switch I just got so I could play the game on the go. I'm glad I waited :v:

How is it that by the end of all this I'll have spent upwards of $130 on a $20 game...

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    As long as the DLC remains less than $5 (considering the base game is $20 and the physical is $30), it's a no-brainer. It would be a nice touch if those who bought the Collector's Edition get it for free, though.

13. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I'm just glad that my Mania Collector's Edition won't be such a huge empty box now. I mean, damn it's probably one of the biggest CE boxes I've owned for a game that until now doesn't even exist physically. Well now I can turn it into more of a Mania Shrine by putting more physical shit in there.

Keep it coming SEGA. I've probably got room for a CD Album and a physical BD of Sonic Mania Adventures as well! :v:

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Wouldn't Mighty's wall jump be near useless in a game like Mania? There are so few places to use it that it really seems like it wouldn't contribute anything to the game, nevermind that there are no places specifically designed for the wall jump mechanic. Knuckles' glide works pretty well with the level design, but the fact that areas of the game cater to that ability and reward the player for using it is what makes it such a useful ability.

It seems like most of the time you're in a position where there's a wall in front of you and nothing behind you, but I don't recall seeing many situations where there were walls on either side of you to the point that having a wall jump would give you any sort of benefit. Maybe it could work like Mario Odyssey where Mighty can jump off a wall and then double jump back onto the ledge, but even that doesn't seem to make much sense. I feel like Tax and Co are gonna come up with something completely different, and I'm more excited by that prospect than I am by the thought of having a wall jump mechanic.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Mighty's wall jump isn't a back-and-forth jump if I recall. He can scale a single wall.

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I'm screaming on the floor laughing with tears flowing at all the “But where's AMY?!????!!!” Comments. Like, really?

I get that she hasn't been a playable character in quite some time, but maybe there's just something I don't get. Putting her into the game and mirroring her Advance Moves would be possible, but then they would be solidifying a timeline they have skirted and would end up placing Sonic CD and Sonic R somewhere they wouldn't want to.

17. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    I'm not one for DLC usually, but it would be really cool if we got a few more bits of it for Mania. The level design and features were one of my favourite parts of Mania, so I'm hoping we might get DLC of planned but unused levels!

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Just popping in to say - loving the news re: Sonic Mania Plus. It's great to see the game being expanded and supported past its initial release, and even better that it's finally leading to a physical release for the game on all major consoles.

Obviously we don't know the specifics of what Encore Mode entails quite yet - given how the existing Mania Mode icon depicts Sonic/Tails/Knuckles, and given two new characters are being added in the form of Mighty and Ray, I wouldn't be surprised if Encore Mode consisted of brand new layouts for some of the Zones already in the game which are specifically tailored to Mighty and Ray's movesets - i.e. Sonic/Tails/Knuckles will only be playable in Mania Mode, Mighty/Ray would only be playable in Encore Mode, with all characters available in the upgraded Competition Mode.

Excited to see what the Mania team do moveset-wise for the new characters - Ray's never really had any abilities established despite his species offering some obvious ones, and Mighty's really only been used as a Sonic clone/substitute in the two games he's previously appeared in. The Mania team seem to understand a lot of what made the classics fun to play, though, so I trust they'll come up with something to make these characters unique gameplay-wise.

In terms of tweaks to existing assets, hoping the team has also been given the go-ahead to fill in any missing level transitions in Mania Mode as part of Mania Plus...!

Anyway, looking forward to more details as we get closer to the release of Mania Plus - hoping it (and the physical release) does well so there's more likelihood of a true sequel in future...! = )

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    If you didn't know the answer to that question you wouldn't be on Retro. =P Mania is easily worth the price.

20. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Anyone want to theorize that Team Mania originally planned Metal and Any, but Iizuka chose Mighty and Ray since he's been teasing then for so long?