don't click here

Sonic Fan Games (The older ones)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by DC.17, Feb 18, 2011.

1. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Out of interest if anyone has a working build of Little Chaos, I'm sure the original dev would like to see it as neither of us has had a working copy in what must be well over a decade now.

2. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

kakyoin did you lay this egg Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    For those who are interested, I uploaded to the wiki a compilation of all the available demos of Sonic XG (from 2002 to 2005):
    Sonic XG - Older Demos (2002-05).rar

And on the other hand... Sonic Frenzy Adventure (including its SAGE 2008 version). Which I asked a staff member of emulationzone.org to have it:
    Sonic Fresty Adventure.rar

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thanks dude! And you went above and beyond the call of duty too. There was a user asking for Frenzy Adventure (in the now locked thread in fangaming discussion) so I'm sure he'll be pleased.

It's always awesome when we get new uploads even just for archival purposes. Perhaps we could develop a master resource at some point collating all the known releases/demos we have because at the moment everything's scattered in multiple archives and links and uploads tend to go down over time and so on.

4. Skeit

Skeit

I just asked for this. Thank you very much!

5. Skeit

Skeit

Yeah! I was so pleased! Thanks for your reply to my now locked thread.

I read many of your posts here as a pending member, by the way, and I felt that we shared somewhat common priorities on Sonic fangames. Sonic XG (final release) and Sonic Classic 2 would be both the best fangames I expect most, for example.

6. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Happy for you! It's awesome to see Retro come through for you, and so quickly too. Also I appreciate you saying that. I do contribute a lot to this forum so it's lovely to see you share that sentiment. Yeah Sonic XG and Classic 2 are on my radar as the two most promising projects because of the legacy and talent behind them. Check out Sonic Axiom if you haven't yet. It's my favourite Sonic fangame in recent years.

Hope you get approved as a member. It'd be great to have you here.

7. Starturbo

Starturbo

United States
    Roblet Land
    Was actually kind of wondering when someone would add the older demos to the wiki! Surprised to see you found some that I couldn't find too.

I've been wanting to try Frenzy Adventure as well. Great finds!

8. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    You're welcome! It's good to see that my search hasn't been in vain.

Effectively. Although I really don't know where we could save them all permanently... And I doubt that a public folder in Google Drive will resist THAT much. Meanwhile I'll see what other recognizable fangames have multiple versions, and thus be able to find them all.

On the other hand, I added Sonic Unity (the last fangame made by Magicgrafx) to the wiki with its both 2002 and 2004 demos available, being in my opinion one of the best fangames of that then. Also, it would be good to you guys recommend me some other important older fangames that wasn't archived yet, so we don't overlook this and save them all while we can.

Although if I did something wrong about adding Unity to the wiki, don't hesitate to delete it.

9. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Awesome dude! I'm sure we could find a decent host with multiple archive parts if need be. Just feel we need to be doing more for archival purposes. Your efforts are super appreciated however.

Sonic Unity is an important legacy game given if it's the last one Aytac worked on before his exodus. He worked with HooHaz on graphics if I remember and Unity was meant to be an evolution upon and superior to his extremely well-received Chaomega which I worked on. Fun fact: Aytac wasn't that great at English so when we were in contact and good friends he asked me to name the game so I named it Sonic Unity.

God I miss him. Best fangame creator of that era. He hasn't been in the Sonic scene for over a decade now. Chaomega/Unity remain the best games of that period. To this day.

10. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    And I am surprised that nobody archived them here since then, because i think they were some important pieces of the community. That's why I dedicated myself to create a page for Chaomega, with more or less enough information to make it look decent. Even so, I would suggest you guys to take a look at it, since I probably made a mistake without realizing it. :P

Although... I wonder where the 1st demo could be? I see that there are many fangames of those years that are easy to get, but that one it's more lost than it seems.

11. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah, thanks man! Looks good to me. It was really awesome to see the game and my involvement immortalised in the wiki. Your details are mostly on-point as you're primarily referencing "the story of Chaomega" which I wrote on here back in 2011, so your work is good and accurate. As for those lost demos, no idea man. Harder to find once the source (Aytac's site) went down complete with the download links.

Definitely quite an important part of fangaming history. Probably the most important of that era probably along with Taxman's Retro Sonic and Sonic Time Attacked. Kudos on the work man.

12. EterTC

EterTC

Seeing that the thread has been revived, I decided to replay Chaomega this morning, and I really appreciate how much work was put into it. Mud Forest Zone is such a great stage, though that's not to say Desert Heat Zone is bad or anything, it's just that MFZ feels more polished to me, even having two different paths after the earthquake section.

I also played Sonic Unity for the first time today, and I love it. The Great Gate Zone is a pretty unique stage, and I like how the second demo gives you additional objectives for added replay value. I'm pretty sure that the Sonic sprite is the same one used in Super Mario Pandemonium, though it's put to much better use here, of course. Which is good since I've always liked that sprite and I wanted to see a Sonic fan game that used it, which is exactly what I got with Sonic Unity.

Something I don't understand is that Shadow can't do the Spin Dash in either game, and instead he has this weird move where he sort of teleports and destroys all enemies on screen. I guess Aytac thought it looked cool?

Chaomega and Sonic Unity are definitely amazing for their time and it's good to see them get some attention once again. Even though the only Magicgrafx games I knew about back in the day were Sonic Chaos, Sonic Chaos Strikes Back and Sonic Chaos Revolution, and I had no idea who made them, it's good to have some context and discover what I missed out on in the early 2000s. Even if we're now getting objectively better fan games that use more advanced engines with more accurate physics, I'll always prefer the old The Games Factory/Klik & Play games, there's something special about the flawed but still manageable engine and MIDI music that the newer games don't have, which is not necessarily a good or a bad thing, just a matter of personal preference.

Also, good job with the wiki articles. Since those games were apparently a big deal when they were new, I'm surprised they didn't have articles until now. I could make one for Sonic Chaos Revolution since I know way too much about it, more than I probably should know. There are some minor spelling mistakes in the articles that I'd gladly fix if I could edit the wiki, but they're still well made.

EDIT: caiman.us works once again, so if you happen to see a fangame you recognize, download it while you still can.

13. Felik

Felik

So Chaomega is like Sonic Adventure of fangames?

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Aytac was godlike at level design (both in art direction and layout) so Mud Forest is one of the best levels ever created meaning it was challenging to live up to it when I designed Desert Heat. The other levels for Chaomega I designed that never made it in to the game (like Jungle Peace for example) were much closer in quality to Mud Forest. Desert Heat was also set to get a re-design that may have brought it up to par. Though those levels are lost to the ether now given the project's cancellation. I always thought Sonic Unity was pretty great but Chaomega had the edge in terms of being the best demo Aytac ever made. The problem with Aytac was when he moved away from creating full games and start producing standalone demos instead. For example Sonic Chaos Revolution 2, Chaomega and Sonic Unity all exist as one or two level demos and all three never made past that to full release. Prior to that he always produced complete games with Sonic Chaos Revolution 1 being the last one he made.

Happy to see you're enjoying the games from that era. Brings back fond memories. Particularly of my fangame-developing youth.

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Just fired up the Chaomega demo after something like 15 years? And Christ Mud Forest is a beautiful work of art whilst my level, Desert Heat is just no way near as good.

Mud Forest still stands the test of time even now. One of the best demo levels ever produced. Wish I had the chance to re-design Desert Heat and bring it up to par.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Few things to add!

Chaomega was supposed to be a meld of his Chaos series, and Sonic Omega....a really shitty fan-game I released a long time ago. I have Sonic Omega still, but no editable builds of Chaomega....

I still keep in contact with Aytac actually. He is COMPLETELY out of the fan-gaming business. Sonic in general I believe...could be wrong. I haven't been able to find any builds I have of chaomega either. I'd be fun to maybe include them as unlockables in Classic 2.

EDIT: Here's the shitty game in question. Breaks my shit when I try to run it now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7q2n38zm2jbnhoc/Sonic_Omega.zip

17. Does anybody know the names of these 2 Old Sonic Fan Games?

1st had hand-drawn graphics as opposed to sprites, Featured Sonic & Knuckles as playable characters. With Knuckles wearing his hat from the OVA Movie. 1st level took place in a desert type setting & The Game Over screen used a green fog font (Like the 1996 movie jumanji)

2nd had Sonic as the playable character, 1st level was called Backfire Zone or something like it. & was featured in a moat of a castle & had Palmtree Panic past as it's stage theme, 2nd level was in a silver castle from Sonic Blast type of setting. IIRC this fan game had no title screen. Jumping straight to the 1st level.

18. caydanlik

caydanlik

I see some of the games require old technical files and dll s to run. Does anybody have an installer or archive for them? Searcing for them one by one isn't really efficient and I can't find some of them anyway (.cox files for example).

Edit: I found a copy of dmc2.cox if anyone's interested. If the games give a dmc2.cox error just copy everything from the zip into the game's folder (or system32, unsure if that works).

19. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I apologize for bumping this topic, but creating a new one seemed unnecessary

I tried running Sonic Time Attacked on my new Windows 10 laptop, and while it runs fine (except for the level select menu, where it lags like crazy) can't hear any music at all. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you.

EDIT: found out how to fix it (I'm on Windows 10): must download Virtual Midi Synth here, (https://coolsoft.altervista.org/it/virtualmidisynth), find a decent sounding .sf2 and go to town.

20. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    Do you guys remember that old Sonic Adventure 2 fangame made by TGF in 2000 before the REAL one was shown up? Well, it seems the creator made an overhauled demo 2 years later:

[​IMG]
    Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20040423025019/http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/tgfteam/demo.htm

Unfortunately, Wayback Machine doesn't have the file archived; so if anyone has any information or knows anything else about it, just let me know!