don't click here

Sonic Ready to Take 2018 by Storm at SXSW 2018

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Why so low? Just curious as to your thoughts on this.

We've known it exists since mid-December thanks to Steam, and the branch probably would not have been created unless there was a build to put there. So it will have been in development for at least 3 months during the presentation at SXSW. (It probably isn't much longer than that, since the various dev team members stopped posting about things that they were doing with spare time by early November, indicating that they were too busy to work on other things) While we don't really know what it consists of, if it's just an update to the game that adds some basic additional content like special stages in Time Attack and some bonus unlockables the dev cycle could be pretty short. Some people have said it wouldn't be a Steam branch if it wasn't an update to the existing game, and if that's the case I can't see them doing something that takes 6 months or longer to finish as a free update.

2. Fadaway

Fadaway

Announcing a Mania sequel at SXSW would be striking while the iron is hot. I think it's OK to be hopeful. Don't expect anything, though. I'd posit the insiders at the event will be aware of the big glistering elephant in the room, though.

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    They could be more focused on non-game stuff for the franchise by hyping the comics, TV show, and movie, while saving any game related stuff for closer to E3. Mania is the highlight of 2017, and they may try to tap that hype for tangential projects first before expanding on the games.

4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    100% chance of Sonic 4: Episode 3
    104% chance of Sonic R: Online (which the Forces Avatar creation was clearly a test-run for, so people can race as their OCs)
    109% chance of Sonic Crackers HD Remix
    233% chance of Sonic the Fighters II Champion Edition
    999% chance of Shadow the Hedgehog Unleashed

Though seriously, what's up with y'all wanting Sonic Mania Plus or what the fuck ever. It was great as is, let's not fuck with it (but also WTF is wrong with exactly-that-but-all-original-zones?)

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You joke but I'd love this

People are discussing Sonic Mania Plus as a few weeks/months ago a development branch popped up in Sonic Mania on Steam that was called Project Plus or something along those lines. We haven't heard anything with what they're doing with Sonic Mania but given that popping up we think it's likely something. Of course everything we're saying as to what Project Plus might contain is pure speculation. I'm pretty sure everyone here would love a Sonic Mania sequel with all original zones, but it's highly unlikely they'd announce a sequel so soon. This seems plausible though (surprise DLC/expansion for a game that sold far beyond Sega's expectations? Sure why not, weirder things have happened).

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Given what we know thus far, about a month out from the event, announcements are looking like the following:

Extremely probable: The Sonic Racing game set for 2018
    Quite probable: Project Plus or "Sonic Mania Plus"
    Outside chance: New mainline 3D Sonic game from Sonic Team
    Possible, but not probable: Sonic Mania 2 complete with new zones shown off (thinking it's just too early for this one)

The Sonic Racing game should be almost definite, though there's some confusion around it because technically its firm existence recently leaked but Aaron also shot it down (though theoretically he was shooting down another Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed from Sumo and didn't shoot down a new Sonic Racing game entirely). So the event is super interesting as Sega could announce multiple projects here - though hopefully "Sonic Mania Plus" or something Sonic Mania related will be among the announcements.

Hell, even if nothing Sonic Mania related is announced I'd even take just an acknowledgement. Something like "we recognise that Sonic Mania was an astounding critical and commercial success and intend to keep working with Taxman/Stealth on similar projects in the future". Honestly I'd take even just that, as in just something that indicates another Mania-type project will come in the future.

Guess we'll see guys. As I said we're about a month away now with the event rapidly approaching so hopefully Sega will be announcing some things to get us all hyped again.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I wouldn't take anything less than "we are currently working with them on similar projects". Intentions, wishes and hopes usually mean nothing when coming out of PR mouths.

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So given recent revelations it's looking extremely likely one of the big announcements is the new Sonic-focused kart racer from Sumo. Other potential announcements include Sonic Mania Plus (somewhat likely) and Sonic Team's next game and/or Sonic Mania 2 (both possible but unlikely). At the very least we'll see Sumo's Sonic racer. Rumour is it's Sega's prime Sonic game for holiday 2018 so it'll probably be there. Hoping to God Sonic Mania Plus - or to be honest, anything Sonic Mania related, is also announced. To be perfectly honest, with how leak prone Sega seems to be these days, I'm hoping for a Sonic Mania Plus leak soon.

If a leak doesn't happen we're only a month out from the event now anyway so we'll learn of Sonic's future soon. #CountingDownTheDays

Sure-fire point - but I remain optimistic and confident something firm and concrete regarding Mania/future Mania projects will be announced whether it be Sonic Mania Plus or even early signs of a sequel. Sega won't ignore the rave reviews and insane success (and money) the game has seen. They're going to try and please their fans and a Mania-related announcement would achieve that.

9. Speeps

Speeps

The last few games we've had (other than Mania) have made me extremely cynical about this franchise lmao. I was pretty excited for All Stars Racing Transformed, but now I can't help but feel like there's inevitably going to be a sanic car or some other cringeworthy shit that I'm not interested in.

The only thing I'm actually confident about is any news related to Mania or new Classic Sonic developments, which is what I'm hoping we're gonna be getting out of this.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Seconding this. We've already seen Sega talk about "going back to the classics" for years before they actually had a Sonic project that lived up to that promise.

11. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I see what you're saying guys - but I believe we have every reason to be optimistic. Perhaps cautiously so, but it is looking good for more Mania down the line given the game's stellar sales and astounding reception. Sonic 4: Episode 1 sold over a million units and was considered a sufficient enough success to green-light a sequel with a bigger budget. Sonic Mania, we believe based on the data we have, has sold somewhere in the realm of twice to three times that if not more and I am confident that Sega, as a video games company that tries to please their fans, and as a business that is just going to follow the money, can't be oblivious to how well Mania has done and will likely produce a similar project in the future, whether it be Sonic Mania Plus, Sonic Mania 2 is something else entirely.

Hopefully this will all be confirmed next month at the event, that I'm very much looking forward to. Just under a month out now.

12. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I think we're looking at this Mania branch leak from the wrong angle. Project Plus is a codename. What's it plus? Who's the one who would do anything to get Classic Sonic back from the modern universe?

Sonic + Amy, locking on to make Sonic Mania + Amy. Mark my words. :v:

13. Fadaway

Fadaway

I like the way this person thinks.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So the Sonic movie has a release date of November 19, 2019 confirming it as a late 2019 release.

I think this safely rules out a Sonic movie announcement or promotion being part of the proceedings at SXSW what with the event focusing on 2018. I'd say Sumo's leaked/rumoured Sonic racer which is supposedly set for holiday 2018 will be there and I'm still holding out hope for Sonic Mania Plus. We could also get something about the IDW comics too - but ultimately the movie shouldn't be there just yet. As for what Sonic Team's up to - unless they had a Colors/Generations scenario going-on and thus a secret secondary project we're unlikely to get a look at their next project this early. That said, "taking 2018 by storm" says to me we're looking at some megaton announcements. And it is a game-focused show so they should be primarily game-related.

Just three weeks or so and we'll know for sure. Hoping for Sonic Mania Plus personally more than any other potential announcement. Guess we'll see soon.

EDIT: Just had a thought. With Sonic Mania's animation director being on the panel - something Mania-related is bound to be covered/announced - whether game-related or something else.

15. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    So we can prepare to be disappointed on this exact day. Got it.

I'm wondering if it will be something off the wall, Monster or the Week, or Sonic Adventure 1: The Movie.

16. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    New interview with Sega. They seem excited for SXSW:

Full interview here.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I like how that implies that the audience for Forces was wider than Mania's.

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah Sega's perspective prior to Mania/Forces release genuinely seemed to be that Forces was the "main" game targeted for mass commercial success whilst Mania was the smaller project for the core fans. That said given the reception for both games that has to be changing now given the overwhelming love for Mania in both sales and reviews and the derision for Forces. Guess we'll see soon. SXSW is fast approaching. Just under 12 days away until we see what's next for Sonic. Hoping for Mania-related news, whatever that may be.

It's worth noting that Aaron said in a recent stream "no Mania announcements at this time" or something to that effect heavily inferring that there will be future Mania announcements but scheduled for a later time. So odds are something Mania-related will be announced at SXSW particularly with a member of the Mania team present too. Here's hoping.

19. Did Mania sales actually perform better than Forces?

It seems like it did because we've been tracking downloads across platforms but Forces is the kind of game that would sell lots of physical copies to parents on December 24th, and have an inherent advantage.

If downloads are indicative of the larger trend then I agree, Mania probably did much better. I'm not sure about that though.

Also, if forces did poorly wouldn't SEGA try to move away from it as quickly as possible? Given that that has happened numerous times in the past ('06, Boom, Lost World to a lesser extent, Sonic 4 E:2, etc.) and its exactly how they reacted....and Mania is there for the company to fallback on in terms of PR, I don't know why else they would continuously claim that Forces was a success. It wasn't from a review perspective (and I really hope someone at SXSW asks them about that, since feedback is supposedly important) but if they made enough money from this game, it doesn't seem like reviews would matter much. Is Aaron really going to continue going on about it doing well if it didn't?

20. Flygon

Flygon

Browsing around my local EB Games, I frequently see children eying off and pointing out Sonic Forces to their parents whilst there.

Children. Adults show almost no interest in it.

Without a physical presence of Mania, it's hard to gauge if children care for it.
    Remember - Children don't get very easy access to downloading 'expensive' games. Pester power works better in the shops.