don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    There's only one way to make Mania perfect: DLC, that changes the game so that it breaks free from the Genesis days. Devs, if you're hungry for more then you should add every zone from the games that appear in the elevator-scene from the opening movie.

Bring peace to the universe.

Good luck.

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The fact that Mania didn't have one was a massive disappointment. Great job !

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Nah, I wanna see Mania team add stages from outside the box.
    Knuckles Chaotix levels remixed with good level design, Sunset Park from Triple Trouble, the Sonic 3 2P Stages, Wood Zone and Hidden Palace on an actual console, an entire Zone based around Eggman's island from SegaSonic Arcade- Okay, maybe that's going too far, but I feel there's a lot more the team could remix if they absolutely wanted to remix more old stages. Rusty Ruin from 3D Blast!- alright, stopping now.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I've been thinking about this constantly over the past few weeks, trying to work out in my head on how this would go. You are my hero!!!

5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Do you a link or something that explains more about this? I've not heard it before and I'd like to find more. I tried searching but came up blank. Thanks!

6. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    It was from the Rolling Stone interview with Taxman! I'll link it and quote the relevant paragraph:

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/a-chat-with-fan-turned-creator-of-sonic-mania-w501581

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Personally I was fine with them excluding the bosses from Time Trial as I feel like after a while there's only so much refinement on those and it becomes a chore playing through them over and over. However a separate boss rush mode would have been appreciated, which oddly was a thing they did in Sonic 2 mobile but not here for some reason. That and maybe they could have saved like your total game completion time on each save file for fun.

My biggest disappointment was the lack of online multiplayer honestly. Ya I know there's local multiplayer, but shock of the century, I either have no one around who wants to play, or if I do, they're not good (sorry boyfriend but it would be a slaughter fest). And again, that's something Sonic 2 mobile did that they didn't do here. I'd love to race against 1 or 2 or even 3 other people in a level online, random powerups and all. I can live without it, and I have and still enjoy the game, but still, it would have been the nice cherry on top sort of thing.

What is with Sega and only reserving multiplayer Sonic for portable games?

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    @Luke thanks!

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I didn't make it, I found it, as stated in the post. Just want to make sure the credit goes to the right person. :)

(If I had made it, I would have included Titanic Monarch Act 1 :colbert: )

10. XCubed

XCubed

What I saw "I did find a fan-edit that did it though so there's that" :specialed:

Luckily I also showed some love in a comment!

I'm not understanding the hatred for Oil Ocean Zone. Sandopolis Zone can rot in hell though. Luckily they only incorporated the fun parts with a little Marina Madness. The only poor part are the bosses from the zone...mostly as Knuckles.

11. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think that because Taxman and Stealth's initial remixed levels proposal was outright rejected (every stage according to that interview?) that proves there are the ideas and petrol left in the tank for a potential Sonic Mania 2 that follows the same format as the original. Evidently they would have had the same fantastic ideas we saw in Mania 1 for those rejected stages - ideas that presumably went mostly unused. That said if we are getting a Sonic Mania 2 we would definitely need more original stages. Seconding the notion that Mania was disappointing in some respects due to the limited amount of original levels. Four was absolutely no way near enough and made the game more of a retro throwback - as in, more of a Sonic "the best of" as opposed to what we all wanted, which was a true successor to Sonic 3K.

Though I was disappointed in this regard, their creativity for the remixed stages made up for it. They had some stunning ideas and I felt their creative side still managed to shine through brightly when it came to the remixed content. So Sonic Mania still was one fucking amazing game, even if I would have liked to have seen even just one more original stage to balance out the level roster.

It'd be interesting to see what Sega push for next. "Sonic Mania 2" seems a given and an inevitability. Sega is just going to follow the money. Also Taxman and Stealth should theoretically be given more creative freedom next time round, given they just proved themselves and Mania has become a massive success. So we'll either a get a straightforward sequel - essentially the same again with even probably the same remixed to original content ratio, or a sequel with more creative freedom and more original content - or Sega could say fuck it and it's an all-new game with completely original content from stage one to eternity.

Any of those are an exciting possibility in my opinion - though the final option, a completely original game, that'd be the dream scenario.

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Selecting the right levels to remix along with creating new zones which don't clash with the re-imagined content must have been quite a challenge. It's not surprising to hear the levels included completely changed from the original ideas pitched. I'd imagine Iizuka was insistent that the number of re-imagined zones out number the new stages (i.e. two to one), and that Green Hill & Chemical Plant had to be included because we all know how Sonic Team likes to milk the shit out of those two zones. I wonder if Team Mania tried to pitch a zone from the latter half of Sonic 3 (Carnival Night, Ice Cap & Launch Base), which may have been turned-down flat because of the music issues with this zones.

Overall I'm happy with the zones they picked from the classics. I love that they included Oil Ocean <3

Hopefully Taxman can one day shed some light as to why the zone choices changed.

On a different note....

What do you guys think of the remixed music for the Sonic 3&K levels in Mania (Hydrocity, Flying Battery, Lava Reef)? I love the music for those stages in 3&K and the remixs sound good in Mania. However, I'm a bit surprised the 3&K remixs - especially act2's music - feels like the least remixed when compared to music from the Sonic CD, 1 & 2 zones in Mania. I'm curious as to whether there might be a reason why the 3&K music in Mania is closer to the originals than the music from the other games.

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I'm disappointed, to be honest. If we compare the Megadrive trilogy soundtrack, I think S3&K is the one that aged the best. Hydrocity, Flying battery, Lava Reef... they all sound great even by today's standards, so having them simply remastered is kinda boring.
    I whish they where remixed like the Sonic 1 and 2 stages. Or better yet, I wish all the stages were remixed like the Sonic CD ones.

I mean fuck :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bN8JBwk_s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_RGGCuQC1Y
    That's a damn good remix, if I do say so myself.

14. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Hydrocity and Lava Reef didn't really need remixes because they were already too good to be remixed, in my opinion.

And Flying Battery Zone did get remixed - the second half of the songs anyway.

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I think Lava Reef Act 2 is my favourite track in Mania although I acknowledge it's a half-nostalgia pick. It was already a 10/10 track in S&K (along with most of the Sonic 3&K music tbh), so I'm glad Tee Lopes just decided to update it rather than give it a big overhaul. I'd love to ponder if there was more Sonic 3 music paperwork which stoped him going too far, but I don't think that's the case.

16. XCubed

XCubed

He obviously had the most creative freedom with Sonic CD's levels, followed by Sonic 1/2. Granted I was disappointed initially with the Sonic 3K tracks, with Hydrocity getting the least amount of changes. Flying Battery mixes were good and he did mix up the second half of those although I still find it weird that in the FBZ reveal, it was Act 1 with the Act 2 intro, making me think Act 1 was going to be more of a smash up of both original acts and Act 2 taking a more unique direction.

Btw, the album is still not available for me in the US on Apple Music.

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I know I've said this, like at least three times in the mast of this thread already, but Tee Lopes' work on the music for the Mean Bean Machine boss at the end of Chemical Plant Zone is one of the best Sonic-esque tracks I've ever heard, in any of the Sonic games in existence. It was a serious zen moment with legit chills when this kicked in for the first time during the boss.

It was the exact moment I thought "Yeah, this is game is fucking amazing" and was one of the most glorious moments of the game. Christ he's an excellent composer. Would love to see him work on Sonic games again in the future.

18. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

One of my top gaming moments of 2017 was getting to the end of Chemical Plant Act 2 and discovering Mean Bean Machine was the boss.

It's been a highlight of every Mania play through I've done since. So much fun and a really creative idea. That's when it hit me that yes, Sonic Mania was a great game and Sonic was truly, really, back.

A more fleshed out Mean Bean Machine (maybe with newer Puyo Pop mechanics) mini-game mode for Mania 2, please?

19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes

Pretty much in agreement with all of these. Everyone (reviewers and fans alike) is in agreement that Mania should have had more new zones to it, and that a followup to it should either have either a minority of remixed zones or be a completely original game. I really doubt there's really a ton of people out there specifically crying for the next game to be filled with remixed zones once more. The ball is in Sega's court to actually realize that and let the development team cut loose with the necessary resources (since having remixed games in Mania as it is wasn't the dev team's call), or miss the point and proceed to bungle whatever potential a sequel could have.

Though to be frank, I even think expecting a Mania sequel as an assured greenlight is itself optimistic. I don't think Sega has really shown any interest in capitalizing on its success (still no hard sales numbers, nor a physical release for that matter); and I'm sure if management is still structured towards Sonic Team/Iizuka calling the shots, they have a pretty high chance of issuing an executive veto and killing the idea of a followup in its cradle. I can literally imagine the quotes used by Sonic Team to justify not allowing a sequel to be made by Taxman and Friends and/or a similarly-capable new team...

"We've pleased the mania with Sonic Mania, and we're happy with its success, but now its time to continue evolve Sonic from his pixel days" *dumps classic gameplay for good*
    "We here at Sonic Team are the professionals, we studied and are now absolutely understand what people liked about Mania and plan to incorporate it into the next game" *proceeds to churn out Sonic 4: Episode III/Sonic 5 with Dimps*

And so on...

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Mania is a good, no, great Sonic game.

But the remixed stages will always hold it back from what it should have been.

A bustlingly excited new 2D adventure.

I do hope a successor is in the cards, but I want more fresh material from it. Not an easy task, I understand. And if it takes an extra year (or even 2) to make it, fine.

If remixed stages must be done, do game gear games, Chaotix, ect. ect. Lesser known titles. More lost stages remade.

And keep the re-used layouts to a minimum. Green Hill 1 and Chemical Plant Act 1 were at least cleverly re-edited/expanded, but Hydrocity Act 2 made me mad upon release.

Mania was very, very good. But it can still be so much more. We're still waiting on a 100% fresh successor to 3&K. And I wonder if we'll ever get it?