don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, that new character looks cool. Kind of reminds me of a more developed Ray design.

Well... You can only go up from there. =P

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This looks like it's after Forces, so the edge lord known as Infinite should be gone and so help me if they use the phantom ruby.

Also, Flynn. No more Genesis portals or Genesis waves. K thnx.

3. So if these take place in the game canon now, I wonder what the chances of these characters appearing in the games proper is?

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I think she may become my new favorite female character in the franchise, she's adorable.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    D'awww. =P I suppose time will tell if she does get up to the heights of the other two but I suspect it's probably the aim.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It'll be sad seeing these guys attempt to clean up and make sense of the game series "canon" (as if such a thing existed), only for all their hard work to be undone every time the game writers forget something or contradict themselves and all of a sudden that's the new word-of-god. Like the world's dumbest game of leapfrog. Godspeed, comic team.

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Using Forces as the base seems lore-un-friendly as shit, considering it placed Green Hill Zone in the center of an enormous continent. Hopefully they ignore the game's world map.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I bet they'll do a good job with locations and what not. Despite Sonic's world making absolutely no sense Flynn did a great job putting everything together both pre and post reboot in the Archie series. In fact he should have an easier time now, as he doesn't have to include areas that existed in the pre reboot universe or SatAM (not that they were used much post reboot but there were still pockets here and there). Also, this!

[​IMG]

Want your art featured in an IDW comic? Send stuff to that email and they may put it in. So I guess this means I got to draw Tangle next.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    They could always shrug it off and say there's multiple Green Hills or something. Checkered terrain seems to be practically a standard/norm in Sonics world anyway.

10. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I had a thought today, and I can't tell if it's funny or sad. The Archie comics are why I was initially excited by Forces's proposed "world where Eggman won" premise, and then that let me down. Now IDW is following up on Forces and hampering my excitement for the new comics. I feel like it's come full circle.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Honestly, I just figured Sonic Forces didn't actually happen and it was all the Phantom Ruby's mindscrew at work.

12. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Tangle has a much better deaign than any of the Sega-fied OCs that appeared in post-reboot Archie. I love her.

13. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I wonder if they'll explain or retcon any of Forces’ massive plot holes. Either way though, the setting really puts a damper on my excitement.

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The comic is is launching soon and we still don't have any real information on the plot, right ? (I mean, expect that it seems to be taking place post-Forces)
    That new character is awesome thought

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    All they need to do is explain that either Forces' world map isn't accurate and only exists for Gameplay reasons, or explain that the continent in Forces was in fact South Island - which we know already has a City (Spring Yard) and a Jungle (Jungle Zone) so aspects match up.

Also - clear up what the Ruby does. Just make it a Time/Space gem that can also create illusions rather than some bullshit 'VR Weapon', which doesn't explain Classic Sonic's arrival, unless Classic Sonic was just a VR Illusion all along :^)

Either way I'm keen to see how it's handled.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It's about Sonic going around saving villages from badniks that are still remaining after Forces with his friends. I'm sure it will get more of a story as it goes but that's it for the first 4 issues.

17. AlphaBatt

AlphaBatt

I'm still surprised they're going the direct sequel route this comic (gave me a serious Godzilla vibe when I first heard this news). Makes me curious if they'll also try to explain plot holes from other games; also for anyone who might know this, I am aware that Sally Acorn has been scrapped but does anyone know if that goes for the rest of the SATAM crew?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Do we know that the SatAM cast was scrapped entirely or are they just being put on the back burner? I wouldn't mind if they still existed but I definitely don't think they should have a focus any more.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I really fucking hate that they are still going with the 4 issue structure.

20. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I guess that format must work well for tradeback publication.

Aaron confirmed on the livestream Tyson designed Tangle (model sheet's not signed, but it looked a lot like his style). Good job, man. Fanart explosion within hours must feel great.