don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Just a technical question. I haven't bought the game yet, but is Sonic Forces for the PC capped at 60fps? Or can it go higher (say, 144fps)?

I can guess the answer, but as this is a brand new engine, it would be nice to know before even thinking of spending £35 on this game.

EDIT: Found my answer. That really sucks.

2. DustinVG

DustinVG

Super Ancient Keys
    I saw an “unlimited” option in my brief time with it.

3. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

You can choose between a 30FPS cap, a 60 FPS cap, and no cap + double damage until you recover yours on Tall Tall Mountain or Snowman's Land.

4. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    if that fucking monkey comes near my hat again...

5. Rail Road

Rail Road

I couldn't get 144fps while in full screen. It does seem to work for "windowed" full screen though. I have a Freesync monitor so it makes me mad that the full screen option gets capped at 60. Not sure if the latest patch fixed this.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Found my answer. That really sucks.

What? lol

7. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Really sucks. I have a 100hz Ultrawide monitor I'd love to make full use of but I don't think any Sonic games go above 60fps. Although I guess if the only choice for it was Forces it's not much of a loss.

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Super Mario 64 reference ftw, thought I had no idea you take double the damage when you don't have your cap.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've posted this in the hacking thread but figured I'd show off a whole playthrough of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFOf30HId6M

Amazing how someone just had to tweak the physics a bit to make Classic Sonic's gameplay look 100x more accurate. Not perfect mind you but not nearly as bad.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Classic Sonic's controls and momentum do look somewhat less rigid and janky, but it's heavily undermined by the assload of automation and scripted elements embedded in the level design.

If hackers can get rid of those elements like with Generations' No Automation mod then we'd have something more natural to play.

Anywho, someone over at ResetERA put together a pretty interesting list of former Sonic Team members (primarily those who worked on Unleashed, a couple of them also worked on Generations) who left the studio to work on games you might recognize from a certain publisher you might recognize...

[​IMG]

(I don't blame any of them for leaving TBH)

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Watched Ghost Town. I could barely see any differences because of all the boosters, invisible springs, hard coding and general rubbishness. But his jump looks less floaty. It's pretty clear how little Sonic Team actually tried.

12. Sonikko

Sonikko

Bird Member
    Italy
    All this mod seems to do is change his max speed cap and the gravity values for the jump.
    Nothing mindblowing, and it's still missing any form of momentum, which I'm not sure can be fixed at all.
    Also, removing all the scripted events in the stages would probably break the game completely, since you need the boosters to get through some particular sections. Or the hidden springs in Ghost Town, otherwise you'd be shooting up in the sky with no reason.

Not to disrespect the author or the mod itself, but this mess is beyond fixing in my opinion and this release isn't particularly impressive.

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

So by using the mods that switch character type in the stages and going to Luminous Forest with Tag Team on, they kind of glitch out the starting music triggers which results in no music unless the stage has any change points. It was kind of startling how much background noise and ambient sound you barely get to hear if at all due to music utterly drowning out everything that's not directly main gameplay. I even actually noticed the bombers everyone goes on about in the stage flying in the background, dropping bombs and everything.
    Then they spontaneously disappeared without fully leaving the view once they finished their little background animation setpiece. Oops.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh yea its nothing ground breaking but it looks much more comfortable to play. It more just points out that it just took changing a couple numbers to make it better.

EDIT: Modern Sonic vs. Classic's Eggman fight:

http://youtu.be/82p0RZKQsxI

Get wrecked

15. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Sonic's world was never once referred to as "Sonic's world," either out loud in cutscenes or through supplementary material. It's either just "the world" or "Earth" in a few cases.

(funnily enough, there's an unused SA2 line said by Maria where she explicitly refers to the planet as "Earth" but the final line was changed to just "that planet." I guess they wanted to be more ambiguous?)

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I know the entire point of that video is how hilariously easy that boss is as Modern, but my main takeaway is that the framerate is ass. I hope that is due to the uploader's computer and not the actual game.....

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably the uploader's computer. On the PS4 at least the game runs perfectly for me.

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can think of three reasons for that.

1. Forces has a physical release where as Mania did not. It's a lot more accessible to parents who are buying gifts for kids, especially if they aren't tech savy and don't understand digital releases and the like. Also nothings more fun than unwrapping a physical thing :v:

2. Forces is the newer game at this point. Mania will have been out for 4 months around Christmas where as Forces will have been out for a month and a half.

3. Mania was targeted more towards older fans where as Forces is targeted more towards the younger crowd (the OC builder, the automated hand holding gameplay, stuff like that). Of course the ironic part is that Mania is far more accessible to all ages than Forces, which I think tried to be accessible to all ages but never really finds a home (the same game you make a silly avatar has Knuckles saying that Sonic was being tortured for months, also Infinite just flat out kills people in that flash back cutscene with the Avatar).

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I don't think it was ever meant to be called "Sonic's World" in game, that's just the only name the non-earth planet has officially. Pontac/Graff probably just looked at the Bible to see what Sonic's planet was called and used that.