don't click here

Best way to play S3&K in 2017?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Toasty, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Without dragging my Sega Genesis out? I don't get it, I have Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 for like every system, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles is never re released on anything. I had Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection on PS3 but it lacked S3&K?? I don't want to play Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles, I want the combo package.

I have Android, PSP, 3DS, PS3, and PS4. I've tried to emulate it on PSP but the emulation is shit. Why are Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 always remade but not S3&K?

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  3. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I don't have a computer.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Well, shit.

5. I would've totally suggested the Steam version or Sonic 3 Complete if you had a computer, but you really can't go wrong with the original Genesis version in your case.

I was actually pretty weirded out too when I got Sonic's UGC for 360 and Sonic 3&K wasn't on there. I mean, they picked Super Thunder Blade over that? :v:

6. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Meh, I guess I COULD drag my Genesis out for it, but I'm not a huge fan of cords and how retro games look on HDTVs. I just wish I could play this on PS3 or Ps4 somehow. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was a major disappointment.

Does anybody know why this game never gets a rerelease? Like, a logical explanation?

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    MD.emu is probably your best bet on Android (someone correct me if there's something better). But if you don't have a bluetooth controller or aren't down with touch controls, Retroarch for 3DS is probably the next easiest thing, especially if your system's already hacked.

8. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    I play via RetroArch for my retro gaming fix. My setup uses Lotte's CRT shader with an image of a CRT TV as an overlay. This is through an arcade frontend on my PC, but the emulator is available on various devices including mobile and console.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The most popular theory is that it's because of the songs composed by Michael Jackson and his team, the same songs which have been replaced in the Sonic & Knuckles Collection in 1997. This has never been officialy confirmed, but it's a quite solid theory.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    There are good emulators on Android I use MD.Emu and it can emulate the game flawlessly. If you want to play it on TV I suggest getting an Ouya (I bet you can find one for $30) so you can play Sonic 3 and Knuckles with Pixel perfect quality on your TV.

Also it runs Taxstealth's Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 ports if you have the APK files :)

Also, here's a video of it in action running on an old cellphone!*

*The guy chose to stretch the image, but you can preserve the aspect ratio and even add scanlines!

11. I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say, just drag out the Genesis... feel that sweet lock on... unleash the power of that 3 button controller...

Still the best S&K experience!

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    PicoDrive plays it just fine. If you want accuracy, drag out your Genesis.

13. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    That would make sense, but Sonic 3 has been released on quite a few formats since then without any trouble (Virtual Console, XBLA, Sonic Mega Collection/Plus, Mega Drive Collection), I think Toasty is referring to the combined S3&K game rather than the separate games, which are on the PS3/Xbox Collection.

Regarding the full Sonic 3 & Knuckles experience, I know Sonic Mega Collection included it as an unlockable, and the Xbox Live Arcade Sonic games offered it as an option if you bought the separate titles.

For me, I find myself playing more Mega Drive games through my modded Wii, which means I can emulate on a CRT with composite, or on a HDTV with the Wii Component cables.
    Also as mentioned above, Retroarch works great on Android, or iOS if it's jailbroken.

I was always tempted by this, but I heard there was input-lag on the Ouya. Not sure if that's just purists complaining about a few extra milliseconds over the original hardware, or if it's actually noticeable. Having the choice of USB controller is definitely a benefit.

14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Try the latest build of PicoDrive on PSP (v1.92.1) and fiddle with the settings. I've currently got VSYNC set to "sometimes", sprite limit disabled, sound on during slowdown, auto frameskip, centred 4:3, and CPU set to 366 MHz. It's not entirely rubbish and is mostly 60fps and rarely dips below 50.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    There's noticeable input lag if you're away from the console. The 'anthracite Ouya' doesn't have any issues with that. And yes, it's all related to the bluetooth being encased by alluminium (the anthracite ones are all plastic!). You can get usb joypads too. The Ouya supports them.

Also here's a list of supported controllers on the Ouya.

16. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Do you own an Ouya? I'm thinking of getting one...assuming there's plenty of emulators and stuff? I'd love to play Sonic hacks too.

Dragging out my Genesis is kind of the last resort, I don't like corded controllers because I have young kids who love to destroy things, I can at least keep wireless controllers out of their reach. Nothing like trying to play a game and suddenly the system comes tumbling off the shelf! :)

I'll have to do research on the Ouya to make sure it's something I really want.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    From what I'm seeing on eBay, second hand Wiis are usually cheaper so I'd just get one instead of an Ouya.

Assuming you don't own a Wii already.

18. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Unless you have a set of component cables for the Wii, (And OEM cables are quite pricey now.) it can't connect to a modern HDTV. I have to keep mine hooked up to an old CRT TV, or use a really small HDTV that still has composite video support. A used WiiU with homebrew setup on Wii mode would be more practical these days.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I do own an Ouya but after I finished Sonic 1, 2 and CD I didn't play anymore because I ended up getting a Switch.

It can run pretty much every 90s console perfectly (no Saturn though!).

Here's an old list of Emulators available.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    [​IMG]

I kind of prefer the psp, even with its inaccuracies.