don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. General thoughts after completing the game. Im gonna hide everything.
    I like the story. Even though it is a bit... no... very cringy at times I liked it. It felt like a 90s cartoon. I was waiting for Red Eyes Eggman.
    Fuck navigating the world map.
    Cant help thinking Omega was going to play a bigger part in the storyline. Because the way he just shows up at the end after basically nothing is just weird. I love Omega. He now makes Robocop noises. BUT the way he shows up at the end should be saved for like... Blaze? Big?
    I like how Knuckles, on full group shots, is always with the Chaotix.
    Where are teh chaos emeralds? Also couldn't the Resistance HQ be on Angel Island? With the Master Emerald and the Chaos Emeralds all there, just to explain that.
    The levels are mostly worse than pretty much anything from Unleashed, Just unspectacular, but special fuck yous to the Water Slide segments.
    Chemical Plant got a cool gimmick again.
    Fuck yes Death Egg Classic. Fuck yes. Generations 2 baybee.
    Right... ok... why do you have Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Metropolis (To be fair its Metropolis in name only. Doesn't even look like Grand Metropolis/Power Plant from Heroes) and Death Egg but the music doesn't sound like anything from them? Might as well be Verdant Incline, Robotnik Sciences, Cyber City and Egg Star.
    Kinda feels like they were going to have Multiple Characters to go through the Story. Maybe Silver, Shadow, Tails and Knuckles. But no, cant figure out how to make most of those jobbers fun to play as. Modern Sonic (Without the drift which just feels like crime now), "Buddy" who gets a new move in its last level ffs, Tag Team which looks like an awkward Sonic Heroes version but actually plays like a singular character and Classic Sonic who is just there. And plays worse than he does in Generations.
    Bosses are fun-ish. Infinite battles have this thing where if you loose your rings to the "glitches" you enter 5 seconds of red stage where everything is trying to kill you, I liked that. That was good.
    Graphics are really good. I know everyone is saying this but. Crap. I remember Shadow. Sega Saturn era grass.
    I kinda like how Boost is limited.
    Infinite is interesting as a character in the Sonic series, a Sonic-Like animal working for Eggman, but next time maybe make a character that doesnt look like crap? Or just bring back Fang.

Overall. The series is not in an after Sonic 2006 state but mistakes have been made. Lost World was functional but dull. This is erratic. Modern Sonic feels odd and I miss the drift. I miss pressing X/Square to spin dash as Classic Sonic. Character creator needs to either go whole arse next time or go away. But I like it. So I want it to go whole arse.

2. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Eggman finally figured out a way to use Sonic's speed against him*. In stage 28, speed strats get you killed by the missiles destroying the bridge at the end. I had to slow down, land on the platform before the bridge, and go through the speed booster to actually survive it.

http://youtu.be/Ba7SLsrJZSo

*Either that or someone didn't fix a bug

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Classic Sonic levels are too spacious, the proportions don't feel right.

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Couldn't you have dropdashed early into the falling platform bit for that extra burst to get through?

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

Even if I hit up the speed booster I never make it.

I have to precariously platform and stop myself before the speed booster, and then spin dash that shit or else I die every single time. Really hate that fucking level.

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So I'm actually getting more tempted to pick up the game now that the 'anti-hype' has died down. It seems... mediocre, but not terrible. I'm just not sure.

What I have noticed upon reading up on the lore/story a bit... it seems to be that... (spoilers, I guess)

The phantom ruby actually originates from the classic "dimension". Given that it traveled with Sonic at the end of mania, it probably pulled a Star Trek 2009 and arrived long 'before' he did, falling directly into Eggman's front door. The fact that Eggman then had no memory of the item also further seals the whole "alternate reality" business, as he would have remembered it if time travel came into play here. (an item from your past moving to the future doesn't violate cause and effect. It's like finding an old toy you forgot about years later by accident). I assumed it was going to be the opposite where modern eggman somehow sent the ruby 'back' to the classicverse, but that's not the case at all it seems.

7. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. Chemical Plant especially feels like after modelling the stage they just doubled it's size for some reason. I honestly wonder if they did it intentionally to make the stages feel bigger than they are.

If you drop dash there you die mid bridge because the missiles are faster. Classic levels are filled with places where you have to spindash (or use a booster) because they gave Classic a weird speed cap that breaks the pace even more.

8. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I meant landing from jumping off the wheel with a dropdash, fairly sure you survive that way.

EDIT: Yeah you do, just tried it.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    + - But then why did it just show up in Mania? Was it just in the ground on the Floating Island since pre-Echidna times?  

Sonic Forces' story is a fucking mess.

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    If you jump at the right time before hitting the sign post you won't die, but more importantly landing just before and spin dashing gets you through a lot faster than anything else and you won't risk death.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Nope, the Ruby appears on Angel Island after a dimensional breach. So it could even be that after the fight in Null Space the Ruby decides to travel to the classic era and then hitch a ride with Classic Sonic to the modern era again.

12. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Whether or not it makes sense I didn't really like it being the story tie-in McGuffin. I thought it was kind of cool that there was now a different mystic gem that could rival the Chaos Emeralds in power in Mainia, and now we find out it was just an alternate reality Eggman that created the thing being fought over in what was probably the most epic boss battle in Sonic to date. Makes you immediately draw a comparison between the Eggmans (Eggmen?) and takes the mystery out of it.

13. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Switched voices to Japanese, let's see...

14. Linkabel

Linkabel

The original ruby wasn't created by modern Eggman though, it literally falls in front of his doorstep. He does create prototypes but I see them as not being as powerful and sort of like the fake chaos emerald Tails created.

15. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I missed that part. I took his use of the word prototype to indicate there was a final product made. Was this some off-screen story or was I just not paying attention at an important moment?

16. Linkabel

Linkabel

That particular part came out in the last Forces comic the Sonic social media accounts posted. It should have been mentioned in the game though since we don't even know what the purpose of the prototypes were.

17. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    Yeah that's really dumb, if he didn't make what the hell are the prototypes meant to be? Was Eggman trying to make more Phantom Rubies or something?

18. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Can we just go back to the mindset that the phantom Ruby in mania is the long lost timestone from CD? Makes more sense than whatever Forces was trying to make it (VR garbage).

19. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    So in the context of the game one could easily take it to mean that Eggman created the Phantom Ruby and had prototypes that were floating around, but there is external media that contradicts this. Got it.

20. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Well let's not forget that the same external media implies that Sally Acorn is in the same world. (personally I feel she could have filled Knuckles' role and the other Freedom fighters could have taken the Chaotix's place)