don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Here's Super Sonic, hidden behind DLC for some reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-aZlsejBTY

The avatar can't go super but no word on Classic Sonic or Shadow yet.

EDIT: Yup, little Sanic can go Super as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG2icQMfNfc

2. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Worth noting Shadow cannot go super either.

But yeah its... certainly Super Sonic. Fully functioning. Yet not currently available to the public.

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Watched this this morning, it's insightful and entertaining. Love your stuff, man!

4. RetrospectGreg

RetrospectGreg

So hold on, is Classic Sonic not from the past anymore, but now from an alternate dimension. Why can't Sega and Sonic Team ever keep this straight?

5. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Because they're incompetent when it comes to storytelling.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I like how the developers apparently forgot to properly implement the Super mode for (modern) Sonic in the QTE sequences or ran out of time before they could do it. The moment you enter one, he's immediately disabled. :v: Invincibility seems to be the only notable perk for the Super mode with classic Sonic, he seems to move at the same speed as he would without the Super mode.

Anywho, has anyone else noted just how...muted Sonic Forces' launch is? Aside from the tepid reviews (60 on PS4 MC and Opencritic, 58 on Switch MC), we have just barely twenty-something total counted reviews across both all reviewed platforms in general (XBO/PC versions hardly have any dedicated reviews), despite the game having been out for a few days. Major sites like IGN (the American branch) and Gamespot haven't even posted their reviews at all. Contrast this to recent releases like Mario Odyssey, CoD, Need for Speed, and Assassin's Creed among others, they already have dozens of reviews out the gate.

Reception-wise, Forces isn't just mediocre, it's coming and going like a fart in the wind. There is no major interest surrounding this game, only a handful of established notable reviewers are making sure to get their reviews out in time for the game's launch. The general perception to this game is largely apathetic, even moreso than Lost World (and that was a console/platform exclusive, rather than a multiplatform project); Forces has failed to make a splash in the community that badly.

And to be honest, the lack of interest can even be seen with Sega's attitudes towards the game itself. Sega refusing to send review codes/copies prior to launch was just the tip of the iceberg when you remember how dire Forces' overall marketing campaign has been. The game was announced with only a CG trailer, no gameplay footage shown for months, showing only Green Hill/Park Avenue levels until a month prior to release, the Japan-exclusive timed demo, the $40 mid-tier budget price tag compared to past 3D Sonic titles (despite Forces being positioned as the "main" 2017 Sonic game and Sonic Team's 25th anniversary tie-in effort). The game also had its street date broken two weeks prior to release as well. There's hardly even any major marketing push outside the launch trailer either, according to Hoggy/Mayor D (Sonic Stadium), not even iSega Europe hasn't done any livestreams of the game either (though they've done several for the Speed Battle companion app). The invisible advertising, by the by, hasn't been lost on GamePro, which they touched on in their review:

Compare this to the marketing push Sega made with Mania up to release, and the difference is literally night and day. The whole picture concerning Forces shows a paints a significant lack of internal faith in the game on Sega's behalf (or at least, the Western branches of Sega). Which considering how the final product turned out, I really don't blame Sega's nonexistent enthusiasm.

7. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

This was done so Taxman and Stealth could have their game be a direct sequel to S3&K.
    S3&K isn't canon in main series Sonic, but it is canon to the new "Classic dimension" or "Mania dimension".
    I actually prefer it this way. Now I can have my canon Super Emeralds and Hyper forms.
    It also gives Taxman and Stealth a fresh canon to do whatever they want with in terms of future games. (as long as it's Sega-approved)

And let's not forget, now that Tails has a normal Super form with the Chaos Emeralds, Hyper Tails can exist.

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

IGN gives the game a 6.9 / 10.
    Seems the reviewer is a reasonable one that generally agrees that the game had potential but doesn't really meet it. Surprised she liked the boss fights though.

9. RetrospectGreg

RetrospectGreg

Huh. Here I thought S3&K was the canon events of that game.

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

In the main series canon, Super Emeralds never existed and only male hedgehogs can go super. Burning Blaze is an exception because the Sol Emeralds are different I guess.
    That's why in Sonic Heroes we didn't see Super Knuckles.
    Its kind of bullshit.

11. RetrospectGreg

RetrospectGreg

Well whatever. In Sonic, continuity is pretty much an afterthought anyway.

12. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Actually, it's something we talk about a lot here. You see, believe it or not, people on these forums tend to really like Sonic games for some reason. :v:

13. Spunodi

Spunodi

Something that's bugging me (well, there's a lot of things about this game but they've all been done to death) is with regards the Mania theme. It's a wonderful callback and a lovely rendition of the Mania title theme but I don't see Tee Lopes anywhere in the credits. That is his original composition right? In fairness, the vocalist from the Shadow tracks isn't credited either is seems (was it Everett Bradley?). Any takes on this?

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It may be Sega's new position but it doesn't make a ton of sense. Knuckles mentions his Super form in a line of dialogue in SA2's final boss battle and I could have sworn Team Super's Knuckles and Tails's textures are labeled as "superknuckles" and "supertails" or something similar.

15. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    Interesting, on my i7 and GTX 1060 (I know, a bit overkill for this game) the game has run buttery smooth, holds the 60FPS line perfectly and has never crashed. Had a bit of controller wonkiness but I got it figured out. What specs are you running? Only issue I've had is that physics bugged out once when I had an uncapped framerate, but that issue has been strangely inconsistent.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

I initially had the FPS issues and instability, but I was playing Borderless Fullscreen. Once I went to full-on fullscreen I never had framerate issues again besides random computer lag issues.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    So is the Sega Pack a free download for everyone on every platform? Is the bonus edition just pointless, then? (Let's ignore that hideous sticker, please)

18. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    sega pack requires a code on the switch at least.

19. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    I like to use the D-Pad for 2D sections and the analog stick for 3D sections. At first I didn't think this was possible because although the D-Pad would work in menus, Sonic didn't respond to it. Out of curiosity, I decided to check the control options, and sure enough, I could switch from analog stick to D-Pad in there. Why is it only one or the other? It's annoying having to go to the options menu and change it each time the perspective does. Do consoles have to deal with this, or is this just an issue on the PC version?

20. That's an issue exclusive to the PC version. The console versions have both the D-Pad and analog stick available as movement controls without the need to pick or choose.