don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Received by copy of Forces today and beat it (on hard mode).

Lets see:
    Gorgeous graphics. Best looking Sonic game ever IMO, has some stunning visuals. Just about surpasses Unleashed.

Music: a few good tracks (mainly avatar stages). Overall one of the weaker soundtracks in quite a while.

Classic Sonic's physics are shit (drop-dash doesn't help, especially when you accidently activate it and drop-dash into a bottomless-pit) just like in Gens making getting through the stages a chore. The Eggman Empire classic auto-scrolling stage was a fucking nightmare. 

I'd say the same about the avatar physics, the only saving grace being the wisp powers, but it's only marginally more enjoyable than classic Sonic.

The novelty of creating an OC is pretty fun.

My avatar (below) is a female hedgehog, kind of a Shadow fan-girl. Looks like a cross between Shadow and Sticks #Shadicks

[​IMG]

Modern Sonic (and Sonic+avatar) stages have lovely visuals but are mostly boring to play through. As a result I'm kinda glad they are shorts stages. 

Bosses are nothing special stage, still better than some of the recent games. Bizarrely Zavok gave me quite a bit of trouble (trying to hit him). The final boss was a pain in the backside, but once you work out a good technique it's actually decent. Way better than Gens & SLW final bosses.

Story is interesting but feels woefully incomplete and the lack of story told through cutscenes is disappointing. Also, why the hell is classic Sonic in this game? His gameplay is terrible and he adds nothing to the story.

For me (in terms of the recent Sonic Team games) it's Colors > Unleashed > Forces > Gens > SLW.

The way the story plays-out and the inclusion of DOUBLE boost and TRIPLE boost makes it feel like this would finally be a good time to end the boost gameplay once and for all (the Boost gameplay did not feel any better in Forces). It's survived ten years (god knows how) and it's time to move onto something completely new.

Forces isn't a terrible game and it's not a hard one either, but it's so far away from what I want to see in a modern 3d Sonic game. I don't know if Sonic Team are being forced to create these games on a laughably small budget or whether there's meddling from SEGA Japan as to what they are allowed to create, but honestly I fear for Sonic Team and 3d Sonic. They can't keep up this run of below-par games and expect to survive. 

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Trusted Reviews: 2.5/5

3. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Jim Sterling Impressions:

He likes Forces.

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

Jim's viewpoint is pretty much the casualgoer's viewpoint; it may not be the best thing ever, but it's a decent, mostly-solid platformer to add to one's library, even if it lacks real meat on its bones.

5. Despatche

Despatche

This is really just a #1 said #2 said thing. It either is worse or it isn't worse, and all the research/gameplay I've done tells me "it isn't". All the reasons I've seen behind "it is" don't make sense compared to what I've played of the game and what I know of other games. I just don't understand where people are getting half the ammo they're getting from this game.

Forces does not follow Lost World directly, no, and I don't understand why people are saying that. It's much closer to Generations, as everyone expected it would be when it was announced. However, not only is Lost World actually a lot like Colors, but Forces also has a bit of Lost World in it, due in part to having the same designer on board. Make of that what you will. The important thing is that Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Lost World, and Forces are all "main entries" being made by a reasonable amount of the same staff and the same premise. This also includes 06, of course, but Sonic Team wants that game buried for obvious reasons.

Yes, that's my entire point, thank you. It's one thing to be disappointed that the series isn't coming along like you'd personally like; I actually have wildly different ideas for this series than basically everyone, myself, and one day I'd like to actually put those ideas into practice. But it's another thing entirely for the entire community to scream about long-standing "incompetence" and start making demands like they have been. The community definitely does these things, because the general threads for most of the games are stuffed with it, and there are a lot of spinoff threads all about it.

Those are definitely the bad games. Chaotix, Labyrinth, 3D, Heroes, Shadow, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Generations 3DS, Lost World 3DS, these are all common targets and they're all pretty decent games. The "glaring flaws" people talk about are usually either grossly overstated (Heroes and Shadow) or squabbling over personal opinion (3D and Secret Rings)... and some literally don't even exist at all, such as in Labyrinth. Seriously, Labyrinth's biggest problem is one that many Sonic games run into: it's just too short, but even shorter than usual, like with the other GG games.

That's all well and good, and I would love for that to be the case, but the language people use really suggests otherwise. I have never seen this kind of behavior in any other community. Not a one. Not even obvious picks like Mario or Zelda. Not even Kingdom Hearts, I swear to God, probably the closest thing to the Sonic community out there.

Rest assured that I'm not saying that. But I'm also saying that it's anything but mediocre. Personal enjoyment is one thing, but actually challenging the game's makeup is something very different. Seeing post after post of personal enjoyment being used to challenge the game's makeup is very frustrating.

It needs to be stressed that if I absolutely hated Sonic Forces, I'd be saying pretty much all of this. My opinion of Forces has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, why I'm talking about it, or the amount of effort I'm putting into it. I wish I DID dislike or even hate the game just so people would stop calling me a fanboy. But, unfortunately, the game is actually enjoyable to me.

"with good reason", "no meat on its bones", "one of the least engaging games in the entire series", etc etc etc. That last one is already being used to put Forces above 06 (an actual pile of garbage), I've seen it multiple times now. It's clearly accepted to slag Forces no matter what, simply because everyone "agrees" that it's the right thing to do. But why are we talking about "agreeing"? If these really are such "glaring" flaws, then what's the need for opinion? If there is the need for opinion, then what's the need for this community standard of constant jabs at Forces?

Do you guys see where I'm going with this? Where do you draw the line between opinion and fact? If it really is just a matter of opinion, why is it being treated as unquestionable fact? And yes, it's clearly being treated as such when Sonic Team is routinely called "incompetent" and the community actually wants to make a Sonic Bible that they could probably throw at Sega or whatever.

I would also like to point out that despite similar numbers, the content of the linked articles above are pretty different. The first two in particular seem to suggest a 7 or 8 at worst.

6. Amnimator

Amnimator

Hey, don't call it "the community". That's one guy's thread :V But yeah, there's a whole lot of, "my opinion is fact stuff going on around here...

Also, reviews are looking way worse than I predicted, even if this game isn't up my alley. It's legitimately hard to find a review for this game at this current point in time that's past a 6/10. PC Denuvo certainly doesn't help.
    And yeah, SEGA were pushing that this game was PS4 Pro enhanced, but this game doesn't have any of that at launch. Think they just forgot about that, or they'll end up putting it in a patch?

7. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Digital Central Media: 75%

ProGamer: 6/10

8. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    That's interesting to hear. I trust his reviews more because he doesn't jump on bandwagons, unlike other reviewers.

9. corneliab

corneliab

from one of the reviews mentioned a few posts above:
    This whole excerpt is horseshit. This isn't a game made for "diehard, huge Sonic fans". It almost couldn't be further from that if it tried. It's mostly just for weird, stupid kids that are fixated on the Sonic brand itself. Forces is a nightmare to me for what it does and what it doesn't relative to what's come before. It's the most bafflingly regressive Sonic Team game to come out in a long time. For the fans my fucking foot.

Also, this game virtually has no story. It has a scenario, and it plays out embarrassingly. How can anyone like this shit.

10. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Really surprised Jim likes Forces, given how much of it is clearly based on the template of Colors (a game that he gave a notoriously negative review).

Anywho, more verdicts.

Kotaku review. Reviewer considers it flawed but fun:

Nintendo Enthusiast review: 6.5/10

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    together we cry, brother

[​IMG]

Putting hyperbole aside, it's clear this stands around the same level of "quality" as Heroes. Does it function as a video game? Suuuuuuuure. Is this what we should be settling for? No way. Even if you liked this game, you deserved better. I'm looking forward to picking it up myself as a $10 value meal add-on at my local Taco Bell in about a month's time.

12. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    Jim said he absolutely liked Generations and playing Forces reminded him more of that game, which is why he liked it too. Note that he said that Forces' story is utter crap. It's just that when judging Sonic games he concentrates more on how frequently the gameplay becomes a frustrating mess. And it seems that, to him at least, Forces had fewer frustrating parts than Colors.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sterling trolling, what else is new? His view on the topic is worthless.

14. Felik

Felik

"I disagree with an opinion so I declare it unviable"

Also Dunkey made a video on Forces

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

Throwing someone's opinion for believing them to be contrarian is kind of stupid, even if Jim teeters between screwing with viewers and genuine discussions.

16. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    Saying that you found Forces fun is now considered trolling. :rolleyes:

He said that it's worse than Generations (which he really liked) and that the story is incredibly cliche. Do you disagree with that?

17. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Or, maybe his experience with Sterling in the past has led him to deem Sterling unreliable. Possibly?

18. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Nah, he's done this for years. This isn't something specific to Forces, believe me.

More the former than the latter. =P

It is when it comes from Mr "Colours is terrible, Sonic 4 is great". Sorry, he lost all credibility with me years ago. As for the second point: a broken clock is right twice a day.

ANYWAY THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SANIC FORECS

19. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    PlayStation LifeStyle: 8/10, "Best Sonic Game In Years"

Also, videogamedunkey posted a review of sorts on Sonic Forces (no score, but he...didn't exactly love it :v:):

20. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Wow, Dunkey made the character I'd have made.