don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Yeah that sounds about right.

2. Sable

Sable

to be entirely fair, polygon also gave mania a low score compared to other outlets - I'm not saying a 5/10 is unexpected or even unwarranted, but I do think it will be amongst the lower end of the scores. I'm expecting a final verdict of anywhere from 65-75.

3. urlogic

urlogic

Well, at least SEGA isn't torturing Sonic fans as bad as CAPCOM tortures MEGAMAN fans. I'm super mad that after 4 years this is all we got, but it could be way worse.

4. With how much this game cobbles together Lost World and cribs off of other games in the series, this game is like 1 1/2 to 2 years of work, maximum. It may have gone through a total of fours years' worth of scrapped iterations, but the actual game couldn't have taken four years.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Based on impressions / reviews from fans who have gotten the game early, they seem to be on the same page with Polygon regarding specific complaints concerning the game and the general attitude felt about the final product.

Add up the mixed reactions the game has received over these past few months (from both the gaming press and fans) and the past track record of Sonic Team as a whole (re: the entire past decade's worth of Sonic Team Sonic games, as opposed to just Colors and Generations) and I don't really think the reviews have a chance go one way or another. Fully expecting the consensus to land around mid 50s to low 60s. Especially so since the game is following on the heels of Crash N-Sane, Mario Odyssey, and Sonic's own Mania.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Considering Colors and Generations were around 75 Metacritic, I wouldn't suspect much above 65. It's trying to be those games while missing the point. We know they don't have confidence in the game due to its low price point. You don't hype for a brand new AA game in your flagship series.

7. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Interesting that they've opted to review the Switch version over all the others. Not to say the content of the review would be different as performance doesn't really get mentioned, but I do wonder if we're going to see a lot of "Well the game clearly sucks, let's just pick the least powerful port".
    I only bring this up because Sonic Heroes had an almost 10% increase in Metacritic score between the PS2 and Gamecube release, where there were similar levels of performance and visual changes for the hardware.

8. Sable

Sable

I dunno, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but I guess we just hang out in different parts of the community - I know quite a few people who got the game early and most of them have been saying it's about a 7. most of my interactions with the community are on reddit and tumblr though so that could play into it

9. Flygon

Flygon

Considering the Sonic games have traditionally performed - sales wise - best on Nintendo platforms in this modern era? It seems like a fairly rational choice to review that version.

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

It's not surprising they reviewed the port since I've seen more Switch copies out in the wild than the PS4/X1 versions.

11. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    So, seeing as how this is a spoiler thread, does anyone have a complete list of the Avatar clothing options available at the start of the game?

12. Pengi

Pengi

It's better for a series to go on hiatus (like Mega Man) than to have high profile crap games (like Sonic).

The Mega Man brand is perhaps being under-utilised, but it isn't being actively damaged by a string of poor releases.

At this point, Sega needs to put Sonic Mania sequel into production ASAP and take a long hard look at the 3D series.

13. Hukos

Hukos

Yeah no, I've gone years without a proper Castlevania game from Konami and honestly, I'd take a 5/10 game from them at this point just to scratch that itch.

14. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    There was a video but damned if I can find it. Sega probably sniped it.

Found one anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pvmwAcBJNk

I'm more interested in how many wisp weapons there ended up being and what they do. I've still not seen someone actually use the cube power which apparently makes platforms.

Burst - Flamethrower/Burst air jumps

Lightning - Beam whip - Light speed dash

Asteroid: homing projectiles - Shield?

Hover: Pushes enemies backwards - Float in the air

Drill - Chargeable Drill rush - Lower ground drill?

Cube: Encases enemies and turns them into rings - air Platforms?

I don't know why they just didn't let the weapon transform into different things when you powered it with different wisps like a typical run and gun powerup. That way you could seed levels with different wisp weapons that could shake things up a bit if combat was more than 1 shot button mashing. Instead they had to account for all these different weapon abilities in the level design instead of crafting areas to push creative ways to use certain powers. I guess that made too much sense for Sonic Team.

15. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I'd be 100% on board with this. Don't make a new Sonic 3D game until you can do it right....There is only so many more times they can put this out until people completely abandon Sonic games.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well to be fair they've been doing this figure shit out in 3D dance for 20 years and he's still kicking :specialed:

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Yeah, and look what's happened to Sonic's sales and reputation as a result. :v:

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    True. But for some reason Sonic's death has been a slow one. Almost any other franchise wouldn't survive a Sonic 06, except like maybe the Nintendo flagship series.

Also we don't know Mania's sale numbers yet. Those seem to be pretty stellar.

19. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series, and I'd rather have the series to stay dead over having another Castlevania 64 or another Lords of Shadows.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I still think that this game is going to be the perfect balance of stupid I've been looking for. A modern SA2/Sonic R. An edgy stupid plot with a bunch of nonsense that make a me scratch my head yet love it at the same time.

I'm soooo excited for Tuesday :v: