don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I did this also on Twitter, suggesting SRAM usage. That there's a "load game" option in the works is a good, semi-related sign I'm not going to read too much into... ;)

2. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I'm pretty sure the "load game" option is there because he was thinking of setting up a password system. He mentioned so in his announcement video.

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Need to get the Super Sonic music looped properly. I doubt Jon has looked into the SMPS format and the track rips, but here is the untouched file in ASM format. If someone knows what they're doing, we could get this track properly looped and sent to Jon.

4. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Source Engine Junkie Member
    Wales
    Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
    I feel like music is going to honestly be his last priority on the list, a number of people have suggested musical changes or additions, with some even going as far as "16 bit renditions of the saturn/pc themes" but I don't think he'll do any of these things.

If anything I feel as though music related things are going to only happen after everybody (or at least mostly thereof) is happy with the DX changes.

5. MiSHiKiS

MiSHiKiS

Well, he said he was only going to do modifications to the source code, and most of the Directors cut have been edits of what's already existing. Even his Super Sonic mainly consists of just a palette swap. I doubt he'd add anything 100% original that wasnt in game originally unless someone would do it for him

6. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Wales
    Adding loop points to the Ending theme which here is used for Super Sonic is only edits to the source code, I just don't think it's he considers it too much of a priority.

EDIT: GameHut released a new video!

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    And probably in the biggest update yet...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzGJkncqx04

8. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    For those who can't be bothered to watch:
    - Director's Cut mode now called DX Mode.
    - Main Menu retooled to have the non-DX Mode as a separate game option at the very bottom
    - Map Screen added, allowing one to go back and replay completed acts and zones
    - Percentage shown in map, along with Password. Longer passwords to come as more data will need to be stored within them.
    - Time Challenge Mode added, which makes you have to get to the end within a tight time limit, but in compensation, makes it so you don't have to find Flickies. Clear Act 1 Time Challenge to unlock Act 2's challenge, and clear Act 2's to unlock Act 3's. Time Challenges count toward 100% completion.
    - Chaos Emeralds limited to 1 per zone, and each zone has you do Tails or Knuckles' specific stage. Both of them have 7 stages, so Green Grove would have you play either Knuckles' or Tails' Special Stage 1, Rusty Ruin would have you play their Special Stage 2, and so on.
    - Final Fight Zone selectable in map, but shows you a Try Again screen if you try to access it without all the emeralds.
    - Sonic tokens now are needed for 100% completion, and will appear below a stage if you get all the tokens in the act. They no longer give continues, but getting a Game Over now merely kicks you back to the map screen, so in a sense you now have unlimited continues.
    - 100% completion requires all stages complete, all Time Challenges cleared, all Sonic Medals collected, all emeralds collected, and the score must be maxed out at 5 million points. A reward for accomplishing all of this is teased.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I'm jazzed about everything except the one Emerald per Zone change. I could get by with one per Act on Saturn, but I have no idea where Tails and Knuckles are after Volcano Valley.

...Are they in Gene Gadget and Panic Puppet at all?

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    If you're planning on 100%-ing the game, you might stumble across them looking for the medals anyway. And if they're not there, most likely Burton will put them in those two stages anyway.

11. This sounds wrong to me. I know thats what he said in the video but I thought it was more you would go: Knuckles stage 1, Tails stage 2 and so on in the game.

12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Like the idea of a level select menu, but it could stand to have some custom backgrounds for each respective zone. A screenshot of one of the level maps per zone, but with the lighting / color dimmed to make the text visible would be a good solution IMO. A better option would be to use the image of the island (below) or a similar picture as "world map" of the island a la DKC, but I dunno if he could pull that off.

[​IMG]

I also think that if The Final Fight is going to be visible in the level select prior to being unlocked via the Chaos Emeralds, it should still retain some "mysterious" element to it; like having the name obscured (ex: "??????" until all of the Chaos Emeralds are collected) and not having a proper image background (reusing the empty cerulean blue "results" screen).

Not big on the idea of having to play Time Challenges in a sequential manner. Think I would prefer Time Challenges for the levels being unlocked by just completing the level by normal means.

Other than that, I'm pretty good with the rest of the changes. It's a really intriguing project.

13. Wow this has come along quite considerably in this latest update. Are they still planning on having this fit in a megadrive rom? Would love to put this on my 3DS.

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I like most of these changes, but hate the one Chaos Emerald per zone rule; it sounds too restrictive for a game in which Super Sonic is unlocked by Emeralds. Even if you can go back to beaten zones after unlocking him, I don't like how I won't be able to use him in a playthrough until reaching the last full zone.

Not big on the idea of having to max out the score for 100% completion either. It sounds like unnecessary grinding and padding.

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The one chaos emerald per stage rule reminds me of Sonic 2 8-bit. It's kind of pointless for super sonic to be in the game if you can only get one chaos emerald per zone... :\

16. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    The way I see it, it's not much different than what other Sonic games since then have done. The Advance series (and yeah, the 8-Bit games as mentioned above) have a '1 Emerald per Zone' system, and Colors/Lost World both only gave you Super Sonic once you'd collected every Red Ring in every Zone.

I do agree though, it would be nice to reward skilled players with a chance to get Super Sonic sooner rather than later, but knowing Jon he's probably not done tweaking things. I'm sure the fan feedback will steer things in a balanced direction.

17. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Wales
    I agree with this 100%, Burton basically has already proven he's willing to listen to the fans to change things on the fly.
    Examples include removing the green pallete in Green Grove, and changing the Super Sonic transform animation.

18. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    I'm excited by most of the changes he showed off, but I agree with many people on here, I'm not crazy about the 1 emerald per zone rule. Part of the appeal of Super Sonic is being able to get it early on if you're good enough, so you can play through the rest of the game with it. This is only useful on repeat playthroughs, which I suppose is okay, but takes the fun out of doing both the special stages and using Super Sonic, you have to pick one or the other per playthrough now. Everything else looks really good, I'm not usually crazy about time challenges, but since it's designed to be more focused on speed and more streamlined, I could see myself playing it.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm fine with the one emerald per zone rule, it fits with the way he wants to structure the game now (which is pretty much as Sonic games have been since Adventure). However, it would be nice to have the equivalent of a "no save"/"Egg Shuttle" mode, where you just play through without the overworld stuff - and in that mode, one emerald per zone doesn't work.

I'm also mixed on the score requirement; it seems pointless if it's cumulative, so you can just grind your way up. If it's the sum of each individual level's top score then it makes more sense, equivalent to A-ranks etc.

20. So something he wants is people playing the more difficult special stages... And there's a total 14 between Knuckles and Tails. What about unlocking Hyper Sonic after all 14 stages?

EDIT: Never mind me I guess it's only 7 stages