don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm looking forward to it in a similar way to how I enjoy Sonic R. Stupid fun that's particularly fun to play drunk :v:

2. Vangar

Vangar

I want to try it to see how bad it is, but no way do i want to show any support for it. I'll have to wait until i can get a cheap 2nd hand copy, or pirate it.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    lol - that's actually quite the positive outlook. :) And probably the best outlook to have at the moment. Back when I had a Saturn I thought Sonic R was incredible. :v:

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh yea. Forces doesn't look great but it doesn't look frustratingly bad as say, Sonic 06. It's edgy, it's silly, you can make you're own OC, it's all there. And even not drunk it still looks more fun than Lost World, which I found kinda fun. While the execution may be off, I actually like some of the ideas the game has.

I mean just from watching the game, I'd rank it a little above Lost World and Heroes. A lower mid tier Sonic game that is elevated by it's silliness (and thank God the levels are short and not 10 minute long hallways like Heroes). A 5 or 6 out of 10, kind of around where I'd put SA2 (this game seems like modern SA2 in a lot of ways really. Hell it even has Shadow DLC). I played the demo too and found it somewhat enjoyable, time limit aside.

So yea, unpopular opinion here, but I'm looking forward to this nonsense :v: that being said though I'd take another Mania or Generations over this any day.

5. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Not gonna lie, the recent update kinda excited me for a bit. This game just brings me a rollercoaster of emotions.

Eh fuck it, I'll probably buy this game if it's on discount in the Steam Winter Sales.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'm long done being excited -- this game looks like it brings zero surprises. But this game isn't broken, or obviously half-finished, or frustrating even. It's not great, but I know I'm gonna have fun with it, so I'll buy it. I think "Sonic on autopilot" describes the game's development more than it's stages. A reasonably pretty, if shallow, game designed to keep the next release from having zero hype in the broader gaming community as a whole. It's not standout in any way, but not so terrible that every critic is going to hate it a million times back. I know nobody wants this out of the series, hell other than "it works the way it's supposed to" it's not much of what I want to see more of, but I'd be lying if I said I hated everything on display here.

So I guess, Forces is a one and done. Play every level once (they're designed that way after all), and make sure the game is the only one of itself there is. As long as they don't try to make it the norm I think it's good enough for right now. And with Mania's success dictating so much of what's going on at the company right now, I think that things are probably still looking okay for the series.

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

I've been so bitchy about Forces, spoiled myself on the ending and chunks of it as well as the plot, and am so vehemently opposed to the very point of the title that I don't know what to think.
    And yet I'm somehow still tempted to buy it at release.

Has Sonic given me Stockholm Syndrome?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yep. You have advanced stages of beaten house wife syndrome.

Seriously if you don't think you'll have fun with it don't buy it. I think I will so I am buying it, but if you see no enjoyment from this avoid it at all costs, it's not worth it. This isn't Mania here.

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Can we all agree that the leakers did a better job at advertising the game than Sega did ?

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Without even trying. I was more excited to see the game watching the leak streams than I was any other advertisement for the game.

They totally could have showed off Metropolis and the Egg Base areas and stuff instead of Green Hill and would have had me way more hyped.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You can unlock SOAP shoes from SA2 for your avatar :v:

12. Awesome.

I've been dabbling in spoilers. I actually kinda want to know if "X" is in the create-a-sanic.

So any Fighting Vipers or Virtua Fighter based gear in it?

13. Frostav

Frostav

SONIC TEAM DID IT BOIZ

Starting to see people declare that Mania is the only good sonic game ever.

Way to go Sonic Team.

14. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I have to admit, this is pretty great for a low budget promotion
    https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/926121932625293313

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    If only Eggman's takeover in the actual game was anything like that short commercial.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    That ad literally tells us more about what Eggman controlling the world actually entails than the game does.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, to play devil's advocate here, does any Sonic game really explain what Eggman wants to do when he takes over the world outside of Eggmanland? Hell we never really figured out what the Death Egg even did. It was just there. Maybe he just wanted Sonic to leave him alone :v:

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well, it's that much worse in Forces because this is the story where he actually accomplishes his goal. Eggman's devoid of all of his personality and character in this game. It's pretty lame.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Fair. I thought his plan was to basically level the earth though in order to build it in his own image. Doesn't one of the later cutscenes explain that?

So I guess he's mostly taken over in this game, but not completely. He's still fighting Sonic he just starts with the upper hand.

20. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    But wasn't a lot of that just bullshit though? Like, do they ever go into explicit detail about how much of Eggman's "rule" is a result of Infinite. I'd imagine Desert Hill is the Phantom Ruby's doing, since they never really explain why that happens. And Metropolis can't be destroyed, since we know Infinite isn't actually wrecking the world right? This shit is so unnecessarily confusing. Why did it have to make "illusions" so real that they actually cause the thing to happen. Why not just be magic or something? Better yet, why not just be a giant illusion, Eggman uses as a decoy to jumpstart his conquest.

I'm probably looking too deep into it, but it's just such a try-hard idea. Original I'll give them that (for Sonic at least), but still pretty stupid.