don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Well, I'm satisfied now. ?

A bit bothered that they didn't include him in the base game, even Lost World had it.

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yeah, that line in Colors always bugged me. I always figured "Sonic's World" was just the English script being vague enough so as not to dictate to the fans whether the planet was 'Earth' or whatever older fans want to believe - instead just <THE PLANET THESE GAMES TAKE PLACE ON>, as some sort of attempt to repair the '06 damage at that point.
    Come to think of it, what did the Japanese translation use for this line?

Regarding internal docs, the series bible might be the final word on the current lore, but I feel it's not going to help anyone if the end results (the actual game stories) keep sidestepping around the core details and being vague about it all.
    As far as we've seen in the games, one versatile planet with many races (that becomes selective of it's representation depending on the current fanbase mood) would make more sense than two separate worlds, which would take some explaining at this point to make it fit with previous games (after all, we've seen Angel Island in both, presuming S3K is one world, and SA1/SA2 is another).

I would love to see if it actually becomes a very clear plot-point in the future though, otherwise Sonic Team should probably think about revising that bible a little..

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Holy crap! they snuck super sonic in via a pre release patch? that means he wasn't able to be unlocked to begin with!! Sneaky ST, if the leak never occurred we would've never known.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hopefully Super Sonic's model isn't all screwed up like it was in Lost World :v:

By the way "Adjusted game balance for certain stages." What could that mean?

5. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    The update states "improved main menu controls".

Don't tell me that ST couldn't even get the menus right.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yes we would because the cart version is still 1.0. You're not forced to update the game.

7. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Heh.

8. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Super Sonic sucked in Colors and Generations so I'm not really seeing what's exciting here tbh.

9. Amnimator

Amnimator

Yeah, I know, I primarily work in 3D anyway. If you really need to do unit conversion, you usually scale it during export, or once you have everything done. I even once had models to represent Generations Sonic's height and max jump height when I was playing around with Generations stage creation. The point I'm trying to make is that when you're rapidly prototyping ideas out, you know how much of a trudge it is to pull out the ruler and get his height for every tiny modification. Really annoying to get anything done, even as a modding thing where standards aren't too harsh. As far as the Generations mod tools go (and it's possible Sonic Team's workflow) stages terrain is made in a 3D program like Maya or Max, not ideal.

There's a reason why stuff like BSPs were around even way back in Quake. Now have terrain that affects player physics in a very variable way, all sorts of objects that affect your movement, etc. Just tossing out vague representations in a 3D modelling program and using them whenever you want to do a tiny modification in an enormous stage isn't all that fun. Not to mention these programs were not designed for this kind of stuff. The camera in Maya, Max ,Blender, etc where designed to be focused on individual assets, not mile wide levels.

I don't mean scale in that you can't pull out a ruler, I mean scale in that I want to get a general idea and rapidly prototype until I get something that plays well. The kind of workflow that's needed for this kind of thing. Something like a more capable level editor, not using vague representations in a 3D modelling program. There's too much to keep track in boost Sonic to just spit-ball all edge cases. This is part of what we mean when we say Sonic Team's workflow isn't ideal. This is why you get boxes aligned in a grid like Episode Shadow, and less stuff like Generations' Seaside Hill.

You do bring up the point that scale is something you can adapt to, but judging by Forces level design, they want to jeer away from more complex level design.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So apparently Famitsu gave this game a 35/40, which is actually higher than what they gave Mania...

Ok, given the edginess, the anime esq over the top nonsense, and the fact that Japan seemed to promote the hell out of this game, was this their attempt at creating a game that catered towards a Japanese audience again? Because none of this adds up.

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I'm fairly certain it was, or at least that was part of it. The Japanese fanbase from what I've seen cares more about the characters and story than gameplay. Out of a list of the top 100 games, SA2 was on there twice (original and battle were counted separately), along with Unleashed for some reason. (The results in general were a bit unexpected.)

But also keep in mind that Famitsu's fairly weird with its scores anyway. If we go by Famitsu scores Forces is better than Colors (34/40) and Mania (32/40), equal to Generations, and worse than Lost World, which got 36/40.

12. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    Which was the other time they did that?

13. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I don't think anyone should give Famitsu reviews any importance. Even in Japan they think most of the high scores are paid or just for advertisement. Just take a look at the games that got a perfect score over there.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic Adventure 2 maybe? Or Unleashed.

The edge character games (with the exception of Shadow, that was Sega poorly trying to be trendy) seem to be the more Japanese audience ones.

15. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    I think edgy games in general have a strong following in Japan. I mean, take Devil's Third as an example; while it bombed critically in the West, Famitsu gave it a 33/40 (higher than Mania once again).

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6nmvLKubpQ

Oh hey look this kinda glitch is back.

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    That got me thinking that modders are gonna have a field day switching characters around in stages. Playing the modern stages with classic Sonic and the classic stages with modern Sonic in Generations was really fun, looking forward to doing it in forces

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I guess that the plan was to appease Famitsu all along.

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    lol level design:
    [​IMG]

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I'm more looking forward to seeing if they can improve that level design, love to see some fan renditions of the stages. also maybe improve enemy AI to at least not just stand there, jfc I know enemies are just boost fodder but they at least you couldn't stand right next to them in previous games!

Are you talking about Switch? because I know Switch ports don't require mandated updates but the other 2 do (at least when connected online).