don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Ah fair enough, I hadn't realised that Sega had reacted to the whole thing yet.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    They also could have gotten people to be more positive by just making the marketing better and the demo less stupid. Like I understand why people dislike the things that actually are part of the game, but you can't tell me it wouldn't be more liked if they'd marketed it like they did Mania.

3. MiSHiKiS

MiSHiKiS

Well, never been so glad to be proven wrong, after seeing the stream. I probably shouldnt read that, should I? haha

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    So basically:

At the end, Classic Sonic disappears back to the Mania world, persumably. When the Phanton Ruby is destroyed, he disappears differently than the other illusions. Pretty much confirms he wasn't an illusion and just went away because the Phantom Rubys gone.

Mania 2 please? :v:

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh boy I hope you guys like Sonic Colors:

Because thats what the final boss is, Nega Wisp ver. 2.0 complete with final color blaster

6. Amnimator

Amnimator

I agree. While I think this game more or less seems mediocre, the marketing for this game was horrendous - killed all hype it could have generated. They didn't even play with the game's strengths, and revolved around advertising the 2 most uninteresting Zones in the game. Didn't announce it with gameplay, and advertised in a manner that made everyone feel like they were hiding something.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Which version was leaked? How's the performance?

8. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The boss fights for all 4 returning enemies were awesome!
    lol nope. You only fight Zavok and Metal Sonic, and Infinite's last battle is literally just a reskin of Metal Sonic's fight.
    What were they thinking?

By the way, we know that Iizuka came up with the premise of the game (Sonic army vs Eggman army, Eggman conquering 99% of the world, etc) and Shun Nakamura came up with Infinite and the bosses, the story/writing credit given in the credits is someone named Makoto Goya. After Googling him/her, it turns out they're the same person behind the writing of Rythm Thief (another Nakamura game) and, strangely enough, I Am Setsuna.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

2.0 was Lost World's (worse) final boss.
    Also, looking at the Mystic Forest Infinite boss, it looks like Forces was built off Sonic Lost World, which might explain the strange controls and overall quality loss when compared with Generations and Unleashed. ugh

10. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I can't believe you never fight Chaos in the game, seriously what the fuck is this shit. Why even put him in the game, why even advertize him and Shadow as enemies.

11. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    nostalgia. pandering. recycling. pandering. maximising profits from the various demographics of the split Sonic fanbase SEGA are responsible for creating. pandering. recycling. more pandering.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I hope this doesn't turn you off from modding the game S0LV0, I'm really looking forward to what you, Dario, Zoney and the others have planned for the PC version.

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm sorry but I'm not going anywhere near this trash fire modding-wise. I don't even know if I'll bother buying it used to laugh at its expense.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Converting this to the spoilers thread, but to be safe, like with Mania, keep using spoiler tags so people can choose what they see at their discretion. We're still opting to show the same respect we did for Mania and keeping images/video from street date broken copies out of the thread.

Now...that said...

Narrative-wise this falls apart for me in a different way, too. SA1 was my first Sonic so not only is Chaos' return with this execution incredibly disappointing, but it makes little sense. Eggman has the Phantom Ruby to make an army of past Sonic hoots, and he chooses Chaos ZERO? Classic beats him in one hit, he's basically worthless (shout-out to Tails cowering, glad his SA1 portrayal where he beats up stronger versions of Chaos is no longer relevant). Forces is already reusing so many Generations asset so why not go whole hog and have a bunch of Perfect Chaos' leveling cities? I think it's implied later in the game that the Ruby needs time to recharge, so ok I guess, but there was a 6 month span where the resistance twiddled their thumbs so... Blugh. Plus, apparently these illusions can be as big as the creator wants, Metal Sonic / Infinite randomly increase in size...so if you gotta go Chaos 0 and all these other dudes, make them all huge! I'm caring way too much about this story already hoo doggie

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Why bother splitting up the thread at all then?

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thats a shame, I really liked your work. I hope the other modders don't feel the same way as you do.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god, that's like the most poorly written SEGA game ever.

18. Frostav

Frostav

There is literally no reason to pick this game over Generations for modding. Literally no reason.

19. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Well, I actually did like the Nega Wisp final boss in Colors. But does it suck in this game like in Lost World, or is it a little better?

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Only possible reason may be the lighting engine. I think Dario mentioned that it might be real time as opposed to prerendered, so you wouldn't have to deal with the lighting when importing new levels. But there might be more reason to mod this game over Lost World, and this game does seem to look better than that.

Also I wonder if you put Classic Sonic in Modern's levels this time will the spin dash crash the game? And any word on Super forms?

EDIT: Since this is the spoiler thread now, here have some cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-vaShscGLA

@ 5:16: How dare they :colbert: But now this presents a dilemma. They say Classic is from another dimension, but they already know him, so Generations still happened and that wasn't a different dimension that was time shenanigans. So what's that mean? Is it like what I hoped they did after Generations and they created a timeline split? So Modern Sonic's timeline stayed the same, but Classic Sonic returned to an altered timeline where he could have different adventures post S3K? So why is a different time line a different dimension now?

But I'm going to throw this game a bone. Even on the Switch version, Death Egg Zone looks really nice IMO. Like, aesthetically I mean, the lighting engine looks top notch there. I can't wait to see what it looks like on any version that's not the Switch.