don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Please let their be a steam demo. I'm soooo hoping for a steam demo. + - So we can rip this game apart and leak everything   .

I'm hoping you PC modding guys have some quality of life improvements planned, something akin to whats going on with 3D Blast right now. because sure enough this game is going to need it, the console version will be shit but at least the PC version can be fixed and improved.

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Everyone, stop complaining without offering a solution. The gameplay is fine, the controls are fine, I haven't encountered any glitches either. The problem lies within its presentation. And I find it unnecessary that Sonic seems to be pulled forward when he's running. It's trying to be comfortable and exciting at the same time but at the cost of more open levels. The controls are heavily smoothed out, therefore you're running plain ol forward most of the time. What we've got here is a result without the experiment, folks. It's hard to understand. Sonic games got very cinematic. Sonic Team, the fanbase may wish to review your tech demos before you make full-blown games out of them.

Sonic Forces' demo is not half bad, but the title screen-music really pisses me off.

3. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Sonic can work in 3D. It's come extremely close to being perfect in 3D multiple times (SA2, Unleashed, Colors, Generations).

The problem is the execution. Nothing has quite hit the mark even in the better 3D entries, and the lesser games just feel disposable if not outright awful.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But somebody already did: Just buy another copy of Sonic Mania when Forces releases, to get the message across.

(Specially if you really need to buy this for completionism and such, to compensate/redeem yourself)

5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    But who's gonna pay Roger Craig Smith's rent then?

6. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

He was paid for this game months ago. Don't worry about his rent.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'd imagine that's going to happen regardless, considering there's both Switch and PS4 versions of this demo in existence. So lads - report in, I know you've already started. =P What've you found?

8. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Third comic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone notice this?
    [​IMG]

9. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Sally?! (look in the background photos)

Just a double check, Archie comics is in no way shape or form involved with this comic, right?

10. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    They're not, no. Neither is IDW.

The Freedom Fighters, has to be stated again, are Sega-owned characters - anyone from SatAM isn't Archie owned.

11. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    The other picture looks like Bunnie Rabbot also...

12. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I'm hoping for a Steam demo too for 2 reasons:

1. To see if my computer can run Forces before I waste the hard drive space
    2. To see if the time limit can be extended or even taken out entirely (Then again, it'd probably crash because they didn't expect you to actually finish the levels)

13. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    As a big fan of the boost gameplay this makes me sad :/

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Well, someone on Switch has managed to finish Modern Sonic's stage, albeit as the level was already fading out. It just cuts to the usual THANKS FOR PLAYING screen.

Having now spent substantial time with the demo, enough to get a handle on everyone's controls and almost finish GHZ myself... y'know what? I'm gonna be very cautiously optimistic. Despite my preferences, I'm not inherently opposed to a Sonic game being a little more character-focused, especially more than a decade out from the debacle that was Sonic 06. The writing seems like a step up, and the cutscenes have displayed a degree of self-aware satire. Graphically-speaking, now that I've played the PS4 version, I can say it does seem to be a visual step-up from Generations, as it should be after six years. I really enjoy the music as well, especially the avatar's stage. Just has that weirdly-nostalgic cheese reminiscent of the Adventure era. I'm also not one to complain TOO much about re-used stages. I mean, I'm as sick of Green Hill as anybody, but the important thing is what they actually DO with it. And Chemical Plant was different enough that it took me a playthrough or two to even NOTICE that's where we were supposed to be.

Most importantly, the controls, physics, and handling are all on-point, at least for modern Sonic. Classic's a little harder to tell thanks to the small size of the arena, and there'll be more of a learning curve for the avatar, especially given the customization options in the full game.

I'm confident at least that there'll be something for me, as a huge fan of the boost-style games, to sink my teeth into here. What'll make or break Forces is the level design, and whether or not the avatar gameplay stands up well in comparison to Sonic's. Keeping in mind that GHZ is the first level, and that Generations' GHZ was similarly underdesigned to allow the player to experience Sonic's speed regardless of their skill, I'm willing to give Forces the benefit of the doubt.

However, I've had to play it by restarting the stages repeatedly, and that's very fairly causing a tremendously negative reception from pretty much everybody who's tried it. All these little nuances I've found with it, and the enjoyment I've gotten out of it, are pretty much impossible to gleam from that stupid 60 second time limit. That's not even enough time to get your bearings before the game kicks you into a trailer. That strange lack of confidence, which also comes from just how LITTLE we actually know about Forces this close to release, isn't doing anything to help this game's anti-hype train. Like I said, for as much as I love Generations, even I'm VERY cautiously optimistic here, though I'm erring a little less there after playing the demo.

15. I'd like to complain about the time-limit imposed on the demo levels.

My solution is it shouldn't fucking be there. :D

16. Linkabel

Linkabel

I wonder if they'll keep the time limit if the demo gets released in the West. It'll be dumb if they do looking at the reception the game is getting.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlkb1XFuXdc

DarkSpinesSonic (who else?) found a glitch in the demo that lets you complete the OC stage in its entirety.

18. I didn't play the demo, but I don't think I need to. I don't know how anyone can possibly look at all the decent outings Sonic has had over the years, and manage to create this. The only thing redeemable to me is the story (may be some remaining potential there) and the fact that the theme doesn't stray away from what sonic is supposed to be about, i.e. no humans except Eggman, no real life locations, no teenager love triangle nonsense. So good on you, Sega. You managed to not fuck up that. Everything else on the other hand...it makes me want to vomit.

I seriously don't want Sonic Team to touch another Sonic game ever again. When your football team has a track record of 2 and 14, you fucking fire the coach. I don't know what the answer is, either fire the entire team or hire a third party who actually have a clue to develop it. Not Big Red Button. Hell, give Nintendo a go at it. A Miyamoto directed Sonic game may not turn out like we expect, but at least we'll know that a certain degree of quality is a given.

19. Frostav

Frostav

You know the more I watch videos of this demo the more I'd be totally down for this game's cheesy resistance plot if the actual game didn't fucking suck :v:

20. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It's really sad that the weakest part of the game seems to be the execution, overall gameplay and level design, aka the very foundations of the gameplay. These core issues can ruin any interesting game idea/concept. I was at one point excited to see a game where Dr. Eggman has taken over the world, but now any hope has diminished. This feels like a recurring issue in Sonic games for nearly a decade now; good ideas ruined by bad execution. Forces feels particularly worse than usual, with insanely uninspired level design, recycled assets everywhere, and even tired, lackluster music.