don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

It'd be pretty cool if this edition was as configurable as Sonic 3 Complete.

I have to say I'm mostly liking all the changes except for the difficulty related ones (flickies not dropping when hit by a projectile or when Sonic has any rings, and also protecting you when you're standing still, badniks losing their spiked orb, etc). Sonic 3D was my first Sonic game and maybe I'm a bit biased but I think it's pretty easy as is, no need to make an obvious "this was too hard for some people" EZ mode.

2. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    I'm amazed at the progress he's making with the Director's Cut. A part of me initially wondered if he had made a great deal of progress before hand, and was only showing small features as he went, but all of the changes in this update were based on the ones from the last vid. It would be great to see an item-by-item checklist of the features, but the fact that there's a 'Directors Cut' option at all already makes this the definitive version of the game.

RIP Green Tiles, you will be missed.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I don't really like the ability to cancel Super Sonic, it feels too fangame-ish to me. I think the new transformation animation is an improvement, though.

Eh. Many of us prefer the music, special stages and visual enhancements of the Saturn version.

4. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    This. Green Grove Saturn is the shit! the flowers actually move. It's got the little mole construction guys, and the sweet, sweet Richard Jacques samba.
    And don't get me started on fucking Rusty Ruin and Diamond Dust

mmmmm, so good!

but the genesis version's okay

5. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Saturn music, please... the only thing that sounds nice there is eggman's theme.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    https://i.imgur.com/ohw4YUC.gif

This whole project is crazy. The guy still works for the company he co-founded, and he's doing this in his free time. Can't wait to try this on my Everdrive.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

He could actually add Sega CD Mode 1 support for Redbook audio and thus have Saturn's soundtrack in the Genesis version.

I wonder, if he would be interested in this. I prefer the Genesis soundtrack myself, but it's a pretty cool idea if you think about it.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

You can hack MD games to use custom Sega CD audio without having to port them to Sega CD? Oh wow, why hasn't anyone made similar patches for S3&K and S2? I would love to play these games with remastered soundtracks.

9. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    @5:23 - "And I also think I've fixed a bug where you used to slide right through these moving platforms"

THANK YOU. You have no idea how many times I used to slip right through those platforms and have to climb all the way back up by going around half the stage again. I'm looking forward to this. Also, I'm liking the new Super Sonic animation. Looks more dramatic compared to the other one.

10. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    True but he had nothing to do with the Saturn version so they couldn't be in a director's cut.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Well for one thing, it only works in Fusion or hardware. For another thing, most people would rather spend their time making something with actual new content. Also, CDDA actually has some limitations compared to the regular sound driver: no loop points, seek times when changing music tracks, you can't speed up the music, I'm not sure if the 1up effect could be implemented properly.

There's the S&KC HQ music mod, if you really want to play S3K with a remastered soundtrack.

12. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I suggested to him a Time Attack mode on one of the videos. I figure it'd be easy to implement and a way to play levels with the Flickies turned off.

13. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Might as well add a Boss Rush mode then.

14. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Source Engine Junkie Member
    Wales
    Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
    Imo I think both of these features would end up being both quite easy to implement (requiring only code, which fits Burton greatly) and fun as well.
    The bosses of 3D were quite interesting, not the best in terms of design, hell now that I think about it only around 3 bosses in the entire game actually moved, not counting Final Fight which moved from position to position but otherwise remained stationary.
    But interesting to fight, nonetheless.

As for the time attack, there should be an option for having flickies and not having flickies, since as the No Flickies mod should tell you, the levels are a breeze to run through when you don't have to worry about collecting them all.

15. Flygon

Flygon

There's always streaming 32KHz 8-bit PCM to the Ricoh chip. But I'm pretty sure we both know it'd sound pretty bad, and be much more of a pain in the arse to implement.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So... the red Flicky isn't a glitch? He said it included it (3:06) and was debating on it since it's earlier than you would see it.

Regardless, fantastic looking project and I can't wait for it's release, opening up and someone trying to implement new graphics.

17. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

He meant the normal red flicky, as in here:
    [​IMG]
    The one in the Volcano Valley was the purple flicky with the lava palette.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ah, that's where my confusion stems from. Incidentally, I wonder if he'll redo the palette to keep the Flicky purple like what he did with Super Sonic and water.

19. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Which is incorrect, seeing as it spawns from the caterpillar enemies in Green Grove 2. The man is clearly a hack.

20. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Source Engine Junkie Member
    Wales
    Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
    >inb4 the next update video tells us he changed which flicky drops from the caterpillar enemies.