don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

I don't think it'll be an immortal sin upon the series like '06. Just something you shut your brain off for, and otherwise it's just sort of there.

2. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Ah, but you forget what timeline we're in.

This isn't just your regular ol' run of the mill Sonic game. This is, for all intents and purposes, the big Sonic game. This thing is an event over in Japan, it was an event just announcing it here in America, and it's one of the biggest Sonic titles to date. It's also the next 3D Sonic title after the sleeping pill that was Lost World, and the atrocity that is Boom. Not only that, but it has to follow up what is one of the best reviewed Sonic game in years, made by a group of highly capable indie devs with less resources, time, and budget. This game tanking is no small potatoes, and it will only go further to damage the brand, and Sonic Team's image for years to come. If they can't get this one right, I doubt many will turn a blind eye any longer.

3. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Additionally, most notably, this is supposed to be a video game coinciding with the franchise's 25th anniversary, so whether it flops or not is crucial in that aspect too.

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Also aware of that too. There's automation in Mania (and the classics Sonic games in general, for that matter) but as Dark Sonic noted, there is a clear difference in the way they handled it (in their placement, in their functionality, in their appearance, in their overall usage/amount) is far more restrained and diverse than many of the later games, Forces included.

Case in point--years ago I saw someone over at the Sega Forums try and justify Sonic 4's automation as good by pointing to the boosters in Carnival Night in Sonic 3&K...which was a ignorant argument at best and a intellectually dishonest argument at worst.

Carnival Night's spam of boosters was really the only time in the entire game Sonic 3&K used boosters that much such a degree. They are also only used at the beginning / end of the level, and they also not only pushed the player forward, they were programmed to actively prevent them to backtrack in the level. The implementation also fit the state, both in pacing and thematically. They had this tube design with this weird visible electricity inside them and made a odd funnel design, in a stage that is glossed with a vibrant neon technicolor look to it. They were also placed next to other level gimmicks/mechanics such as the vertical rows of bouncing springs, the balloons, the swirling barrels, the floating pinball bumpers, and others....that all have this sort of offbeat bobbing carnival ride feel to their movement.

Whereas Sonic 4 used the same booster with the same design, with the same function, in every zone and every act. None of those gimmicks ever felt as if their placement ever fit the zone's level theme or pacing.

Anywho, here is another Modern Sonic Green Hill speedrun that got to the end of the level, by DarkSpineSonic (who also finished the aforementioned classic Sonic boss fight Naean posted). Finished just a little bit faster than the previous speedrun, so you can actually see the goalpost confirmed to have been passed.

5. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    guys there's still a couple weeks you can't criticize it yet they could fix all the problems that I also deny exist there's nothing wrong with bad physics and automation it's just different okay
    I'm sure the way the game looks and plays will be completely different from specifically exactly the footage and demo that has been seen and played so far it's not the full game so you can't judge anything about it
    I'll be back in a couple weeks to tell you that you can't criticize it because it's only just released and they could still patch it
    basically I'll just try to find any possible excuse to deflect criticism and be in total denial about the game also you all just hate it only because it's different stop attacking me you haters

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean do you see any denial in this thread at this point anymore? 99 to 1 odds this game is ass, we all know that here at this point.

Guy you've made a great 3D Sonic game but you're a bit of a condescending ass. Calm down with the sarcasm.

7. corneliab

corneliab

I think that post was mostly just taking the piss out of the kinds of defensive comments you may find on youtube, not here. I thought it was kind funny, I dunno.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You're probably right, but I'm a bit on edge in general atm and Mr. Lange has def had some "take the piss on" esq comments before.

So yea, apologies I guess. Sorry I'm in a weird place tonight. But yea, I agree. This game looks like shit.

I want it to be pirated so I can play it drunk.

9. Sable

Sable

[​IMG]

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    A pal of mine that's just a casual fan of the ol' blue bastard got to try the demo at Twitchcon and came away very, very unplussed as well. It's not just us.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    WHO IS THIS GAME MADE FOR?!?

They tried to make it for everyone and they made it for no one in the end. Christ almighty.

12. Sable

Sable

[​IMG]

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is it though? Because I remember Colors being more fun than this nonsense looks.

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Colours is my second favourite Sonic game and this looks shit to me.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Right? Colors is maybe, like, 6th for me? (S3K, Mania, Generations, S2, Unleashed, Colors). And Colors looks wayyyyyyy more fun than this. This looks like, idk, Game Gear Sonic level of quality?

Btw, the unfortunate part of this game is that it doesn't even look "so bad it's good." It looks boring. It looks very, very boring. It looks like what MGS4 would have been as a platformer, a movie with interactive cutscenes placed in between it. And that's almost worse than 06 and Boom. They were bad but at least their bad was funny. This is just dull though.

Idk. Lost World was more fun than this looks. I'll watch some playthroughs and maybe buy this mess used on the PS4 or via some humble bundle. But idk, damn Sonic Team. You fucked up. In fact, this might be the most insulting 3D Sonic game yet. More so than Shadow and 06. This had years of experience to build off of, and instead they just took the foot notes of those games and added linear hallways and boxes. This is disgusting, and I do not want to contribute any money towards it.

I'll happily pirate it though :v:

16. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I also love Colors, and I feel insulted from this game.

I'm probably gonna wait until some mod catches my attention, then I may consider buying it on Steam. Heck, I did that with Lost World; bought it purely for the mods, in December of last year.

17. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Agreed. Sonic 2 Master System is to Sonic 2 Mega Drive as Sonic Forces is to Sonic Generations.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not even. Actually I'll take that back. Idk wtf this game is. Sonic 2 MS is actually kinda fun compared to this shit. Or you know what, maybe it is GG level of quality. But the excuse for those games were that they were over 20 years ago. And this is now. A major game in the series. And it is the most dull looking shit we've ever seen.

19. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Colors had...mmm, actual level design.

Forces has looked like a mess to me since its first reveal trailer, before we even knew its name. "Why is Classic Sonic here? Didn't they use that gimmick already? Are they just spitballing now?" That's what was going through my head. And we know the answer to that last question by now.

20. Sable

Sable