don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    I'd be happy to do whatever spritework needed, as well, if he opts to accept outside submissions. Seems like a worthy cause!

Side note - People at my office were like "man did you see that guy on YouTube is updating Sonic 3D Blast??" So it seems like this is grabbing wider public attention now, hahaha.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not sure hand-drawing Sonic 3D sprites is the best way forward, given that they were built from pre-rendered 3D models.

But it would certainly be an interesting experiment to see if you could generate better frames of animation from a better 3D Sonic model.

3. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Double video bonus day!! Nothing too exciting unfortunately.

http://youtu.be/M6okf3WLo8U
    http://youtu.be/F8da3G-QyJ4

4. Miles3298

Miles3298

Those are just the tunes from Sonic 3's bonus stages. Sound driver leftover, perhaps?

This guy edits his titles superfast (originally didn't say placeholder there). :specialed: For clarity in case this gets edited away, video 1 (S3&K Slot Machine Stage) said "I believe it is an unused tune that was going to be for the Knuckles Special Stage" and video 2 (S3 Gumball Stage) said "I think this was meant to be an alternative Game Complete tune.", to start off with. Then he discovered the truth and embraced it.

5. It's a shame the original 3D assets don't still exist, because it would be interesting to generate some more frames for it. You could still do it, but it wouldn't be consistent with the existing animation, and you'd almost be better off replacing all of it from scratch.

6. Unbekannt

Unbekannt

Previously MiSHiKiS Member
    Interesting point, has anyone asked if he has the original 3D Blast model? Or does he only have the source code and previous builds?

7. I kind of just assumed he didn't have it based on other things, but now that you mention it, I'm not 100% sure. He might just have the final assets that compile into the game (for example he doesn't have the opening cutscene in any other form or quality), but who knows what he might have sitting around in backups.
    Maybe I should just ask on one of his Sonic 3D vids? Assuming you could even convert the models to modern software, it would be worth seeing if he could squeeze any new frames into memory.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe new frames could be rendered based off a newer model? Like maybe Generations' Classic Sonic model might make a good base?

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's what I was suggesting, although I've never much cared for that Generations model, personally.

No doubt you'd have to make slight adjustments to the limbs anyway - I suspect all the designs were originally exaggerated to help convey which direction Sonic is facing.

10. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    A few things about the new update video. I think it's looking really solid so far, and I'm excited to see what other changes he'll implement.

I like how the flicky icons bounce up and down instead of flash, it makes it much easier to get your attention, but isn't as distracting (for me at least). The missing flicky icon in the corners is a nice touch, and one that should be welcome.

I don't know how I feel about the timer though. I think it's nice to have, but since there's no penalty for going over time, except point loss, there's not really a reason for it to flash, it might just confuse people who are used to getting a time over after 10 minutes. Also, I think it's weird that it stops at 9:59. I think it should keep going so that you can keep track of your time throughout the whole level.

Other than that, it looks really good. Super Sonic is looking good, the new camera is looking good, and the weird new water looks good too.

11. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    On the discussion of models, given the low poly nature, it shouldn't be hard to recreate with modern 3d modeling software. Blender or 3dmax should be sufficient though the animating of said model would take time.

12. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Source Engine Junkie Member
    Wales
    Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
    I'm not a good modeller, but I like to think I'm a good animator, so if Burton was interested in adding in new spritework and had some 3D models on-hand I'd be happy to make some animations for them.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Why not do it anyway? I'm sure plenty of modders would love a legit Super Sonic transformation and movement animation.

14. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Wales
    If you were responding to my comment the answer is I don't have the models, lol

15. For what it's worth, I tweeted him to ask if the original model still exists for him to theoretically add new sprite frames. I figured that had a better shot than having it lost in a sea of Youtube comments. Not sure how often he answers these kinds of things though.

16. roachdaripper

roachdaripper

Wales
    Not sure how often he checks his Twitter, but it is confirmed he uses it as he asked when the next SHC is.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4ZFpC6bbQ

18. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Would love to have individual toggles instead of just a Director's Cut on/off. Besides that though, it's lookin' good. I'm impressed with the constant progress and updates he's giving us. Can't wait 'til it's out!

19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I hope he includes an option to toggle the color of the ground in Green Grove Zone. I liked the green color :(

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I liked the green color but at the same time I like this newer brown palette more than the original, so either way it's a win.

And yet another video where I'm praising him for these changes. A lot of nice quality of life improvements for this game. It's like the Sonic 3 Complete version of 3D Blast. Hell I'm looking forward to this more at the moment than Forces :v: Look forward to seeing more.