don't click here

Sonic things you used to misremember

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Young me thought that the mysterious robot in Sonic Heroes' manual was a modern redesign of Grounder, since a long spike was coming out of the head towards the camera and the cape gave him a big, rounded body. I was never able to get the final Chaos Emerald, so I never found out it was Metal Sonic until I became active in online fandom.

Sometimes I wonder whether that would've been a significantly more hilarious game

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Since that's true, I don't get the joke. People making the games from Sonic heroes onward should remember this once in a while, though.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The joke is that neither of these things are really the case any more, almost as though what he knew as a child is no longer the case. Robotnik is name-dropped every so often, but Miles Prower never is.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well you can take the Robotnik thing as a pisstake, but Tails actually is named Miles Prower, that's SoJ lore right there.

So apparently I've been wrong on this the whole time. I always thought that strange red flicky in Volcano Valley was some kinda lava bird. Nope, it's the purple flicky with a palette change.

5. My mate thought Mystic Cave Zone's music was the 2P version. He was so convinced he bet £5.

Was there a glitch or anything that caused that to happen?

I keep forgetting Sonic 3's credits are a unique thing. Probably because I played S3K more.

6. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I actually had something very similar to this, where I had long though certain parts of Hydrocity Zone were actually in Angel Island Zone. Probably due to both zones containing underwater sections. So for a short time once I was able to play Sonic 3 regularly (after only being able to rent the game as a kid) I kept looking in AIZ for an underwater tunnel where you were blown by a fan and had to break off poles.

7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Well, at least it's not explicit retconning, I was fearing that.

8. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I think that I misremember 2 things from Sonic Adventure DX:

1. Emerald Coast's theme having different, low-pitched notes, particularly near the beginning of the song.

2. When I was watching my siblings playing as Big and they failed to catch Froggy, I recall hearing the unused "Fish miss" theme. I never heard that theme again, so I don't know if it was a glitch or something.

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

I've remembered something I think I was misremembering: Vector floating throught the air with a bubblegum baloon in Chaotix. I was sure he had that as a double-jump ability until recently when I was checking out a couple of things from Chaotix and I didn't find it anywhere.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That Bubble thing in Heroes was kinda odd. Like, why does he blow bubbles all the sudden? That being said though it actually did make a return appearance in Sonic Forces Speed Battle. The bubbles are one of Vector's special moves.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The Chaotix were only ever minor characters in the Classic series, so when they returned in Heroes Sonic Team had a lot of flexibility with them. Espio wasn't a ninja at all before, right? I really appreciate that aspect of his character now. Vector's personality was really hammed up in a good way. He got a tougher image with the gold chain and stockier physique. The bubblegum move, however bizarre, has never struck me as odd until now. It fits his image well. I love the Chaotix.

Here's a case of something that I thought I mis-remembered but it eventually turned out that I was actually right all along. Back when I was a child, I couldn't get past Carnival Night (or Marble Garden if playing as Tails alone...) in S3K. One day at a party I watched someone else play through the game and get really far into it. I think they made to Lava Reef or Sandopolis. What I distinctly remember seeing when they got the seventh Chaos Emerald was the message "Sonic can now go to Hidden Palace". It would be years and years before I ever saw that message again, and I was convinced that I'd imagined it. Someone else on here brought it up some time ago and it turns out that this message is only displayed if you get the seventh Chaos Emerald after visiting Hidden Palace at the start of Mushroom Hill. It makes sense that I'd never seen it because whenever I got the Chaos Emeralds before I'd always managed it below reaching Mushroom Hill.

12. I had Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube, and after watching the "History of Sonic" video in the extras I believed that Sonic CD and Sonic Jam were unlockables (since I unlocked KiS2, S3&K and Blue Sphere beforehand). Hilariously, I was pretty confused when some games I never heard of called "Ficky" and "Ristar" were finally unlocked.

13. MiSHiKiS

MiSHiKiS

I could've sworn there was an official Sonic website or something that made me believe for the longest time that Tails was Sonic's adopted brother. Not until typing this post did I realize i was this site back in 09" and it was www.sega.com/sonic because I used to make it my old homepage on startup.

I tried using Wayback to recheck, but it only results in a black screen. I'm willing to believe that it was most likely me reading it incorrectly and that Sonic "treats him like a little brother" or something, but that was something I believed for a while.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    You're thinking of Sonic Central, which I'm pretty sure did say that. It had some kind of "ask Sonic" section or something like that, where they would write in-character answers to people's questions for/about Sonic.

I legit can't recall if it was adoptive brother or treated like brother either, but I do remember one question that said "What happened to Fang, Mighty, Ray, Bean and Bark?" where the Sonic answer was basically just "lol who the fuck knows".

I don't think there is any archive of Sonic Central left. But hey, google images did show me this:
    [​IMG]

15. winterhell

winterhell

But people keep claiming Eggman is his real name. Probably because half the fanbase was introduced to the franchise with Sonic Adventure 2.
    I've seen some people even claiming that its reverse, that Eggman is his real name, while dr. Ivo Robotnik is a nickname. Then how are his relatives also having a super similar nickname, Maria Robotnik and Gerald Robotnik... :rolleyes:/>/>

And even if you go and say' oh, but he was called Eggman in Japan from the start, so that makes it canon'. Does it?
    Do you ever say the names Rockman, Biohazard, or Devil's Castle Dracula? Because those are also the japanese names of games made by japanese companies.
    I'd really like for the matter to be settled once and for all.

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I'm pretty sure Knuckles' Chaotix Japanese manual described him as a ninja.
    But I can't for the life of me find any scan of it. Not even on Sonic Retro, ironically enough

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Well, my question about Vector was with the 32X game specifically, but remembering me the bubblegum skill was added in Heroes confirms my misremembering and why I misremembered it.

What about the infernal/halloween/whatever bug? I wanted some specific example to show to my friend, since at least it seems confirmed there was that kind of bug.

18. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    I always thought his full name was Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. In fact, I recall seeing that while reading some instruction manual, though now I'm not really sure, probably another thing I misremember from my younger self.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pretty sure that's their explanation these days yea. Of course he still goes by Eggman, but at least outside of Japan he's Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

Besides if his last name wasn't Robotnik then Gerald and Maria Robotnik wouldn't make any sense.

20. MontiP

MontiP

Chile
    I suppose they are just called Maria and Gerald in Japan, without the "Robotnik" part.