don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Mania was the second-best selling Switch game in September on the North American eShop. This is after Mania was also revealed to be the second-best selling Switch game in September on the European eShop last week (mentioned back on the previous page).

It would be nice to see if we had some concrete sales/download numbers from Sega themselves, though. The least it could do is surpass the one million downloads mark faster than Sonic 4: Episode I did (which took an entire year to clear, across PSN/XBLA/WiiWare/iOS).

2. Retroman

Retroman

They will do it after Sonic Forces is released for sure! Probably in November or December for the Q4 Sales Report.

It's also like a comparison to see which is better sales-wise: Sonic Mania (Classic) vs Sonic Forces (2D/3D Switch Platformer)

SteamSpy has the app data for Sonic Mania for PC (Steam), not sure what I can make of this:
    http://steamspy.com/app/584400
    https://steamdb.info/app/584400/

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, I didn't try time attack before because speedruns aren't exactly something of my interest, but I did yesterday as Sonic to kill some time and give it an opportunity, and a couple of things surprised me:

- I changed my mind a bit about the drop dash, I used it deliberately (I don't in the normal game), and it felt quite natural, and understood why some people like it. I couldn't find very useful in some levels, though, and losing its this skill when getting an elemental shield felt quite disruptive, because, unlike insta-shield, it doesn't really work as an interchangeable ability. I also would add a noticeable visual effect to its activation, since some times I wasn't sure if I was dropdashing or not.

- Because my playstyle changed due along with the game mode, I found new routes and places I don't usually find in my normal runs. I think I found a big ring that I hadn't found before, or, at least, never found again until now, and I knew for the first time there are bottomless pits in studiopolis 1.

Sometimes it's nice and funny to find I was wrong about something, I thought I couldn't find an interest to play time attack or using the drop dash, and I did when I gave them the chance, if only because playing something differently makes the game feel a bit new again. I can also say I like Mania more now than I did a month ago, even if I don't have the will to play it as much as I did back then.

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

So at and around launch I remember people talking about how they were pissed that Continues seemed to be missing. It was kind of weird, and there's still all the data, the screen and everything, right?
    Well I only just found out through personal testing (and honestly by pure accident) you can still get Continues legitimately in Special Stages, but it's generally by finishing them with at least 80 Rings. Good luck ever achieving that in normal play, not to mention the game swamps you with extra lives so you'd never really need them anyway; a continue also properly starts you off on the act you game over'd on. So by all means, making them obnoxiously difficult to get made everyone presume they went entirely unused and caused a lot of pain for the less fortunate players by Titanic Monarch.

I'm sure others already knew about it so sorry if it's old news though.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    As far as I know, you can only get continues on no-save mode, and you need to score at least 10 000 points on special stages. I don't think it's related to the number of rings at all

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

Well shoot, I tested it and you're right on both accounts. Oh well.

Still, posting about it elsewhere it seems either no one really plays on No Save much or somehow a lot of people never got Continues in it.

7. Unbekannt

Unbekannt

Previously MiSHiKiS Member
    Has it been confirmed to only be No Save Mode? I remember getting a Continue fairly early on in the game's lifespan after getting a game over in Oil Ocean playing as Sonic. I could've sworn I was in a Save Game because the only No Save run ive done is Knuckles & Knuckles, unless I did a run and completely forgot about it

8. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I suck severely at any game ever but I never needed a continue for completing Mania. I… I have to wonder why this would be an issue? :psyduck: This game is no more difficult than S3&K at it's best times. @.@

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I don't play No Save mode, I usually don't have the time and patience to beat the game on a single run (it's quite long, y'know). I only tried it to beat Egg Reverie as Knuckles and as Tails to see the resulting endings.

On a side note, I ranked 273 on Titanic Monarch 1 as Sonic in time attack. I'm pretty proud of even that low rank considering top positions are filled of cheaters with impossible times. I'd have liked time attack to have a total time like it had in Sonic CD, that could be an interesting leaderboard.

10. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Speaking of this, I once got a couple extra lives from grabbing combi-rings after being hit (since I had almost 300 when I got hit). Not sure if this is an oversight, or intentional.

11. Chris-M

Chris-M

I think it's intentional because in the Genesis games if you got hit with with over 100 rings and then collected another 100 you got another extra life, it's just that you're more likely to get another extra life from collecting a few combi-rings after getting hit in Mania if you had a lot before.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Found a strange graphics bug in the last couple of days. My nVidia GTS 450 displays Mania with a red tint.
    [​IMG]
    Tried other games with no issue. Moved the same HDMI cable to the Intel Integrated Graphics HDMI port, and the colors are fine for Mania again. Is this happening for anyone else?

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-

Except that's not true. The max rings that fly from you on the genesis games is 32.

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    It's obviously the Phantom Ruby messing with your device

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I think what he meant is that you can get another 100 rings and you'll get an extra life.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    No I don't think he meant that because, again, you can't get 100 rings if all the rings that fly from you is 32 -- and your rings counter will reset to zero before that, so all you'll have are 32 rings - no matter how many rings you had before that.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    There are other rings in the level.

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Yes, but, if you managed to get 100 from another source (like, I dunno, the rings scattered throughout the level), you'll get another "100 rings" extra life.
    Mania does that too, but it can be abused with the combi-ring (this issue wasn't in Chaotix since this game had no extra life anyway)

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    But then, you'll need to get 68 new rings, and every Sonic game released to date does that. That has nothing to do with genesis games or gaining lives from dropped rings...

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    What's the difference between a dropped ring and a non-dropped ring? As said in the original post that you said was "not true":

Yes, every Sonic game released to date does that. So it's probably intentional that Mania also does, no?