don't click here

Video of earliest known Sonic R prototype

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Sep 4, 2017.

1. JoePro

JoePro

I wonder, does this guy just have an old hard drive filled with game prototypes? If so, I wonder what other wonderful things he must have on it.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    He's found an even older build, very small sneak peak in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XyQ3aG5Pg

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Looks like that might be the last remnants of the car-based version of the engine, hastily flipped to be Sonic themed.

Guess we'll find out for sure soon.

4. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    He's not planning to drop those protos on us or something, is he?

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

I doubt it. It would probably violate some old contract he signed is my guess.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, I'd assume the only reason he did the Puggsy one is that it's his own IP. Different story for Sonic stuff, sadly.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Internet is a place where anything can be leaked by anonymous people, just saying!

8. Turbohog

Turbohog

Well, it's a little tough to leak something anonymously when you're the only known person with a copy. :P.

Although I doubt we will ever have our hands on these prototypes, it's nice that he is at least sharing some videos of them.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh, but there's a lot of crazy hackers out there that go inside other computers and steal stuff, you never know!

10. Cyberlink420

Cyberlink420

Michigan
    Sonic F (Sonic Paradox)
    Only slightly unrelated, but Jon also just put out a video about the Sonic 3D level select screen and why wiggling or bumping the cartridge sometimes triggers it. As someone who once accidentally reached the screen as a kid and could never replicate it, it's a delightful bit of trivia.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEl508T02qY

12. Ha nice.

Kinda reminds me of Wipeout 2097 from that early build. Which is kinda funny as I bought that instead of Sonic R as they both came out around the same time.

Awesome profile pic, btw

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's quite the thing

My gut feeling was that his "favourite building" was used in Reactive Factory, but the designs don't quite match up. The rest looks like it was dragged out of SegaWorld London - the quintessential 1997 experience.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Apparently the Wipeout 2097 uses the ManX TT engine. I had originally wondered whether the name Sonic TT was some sort of reference to using said engine, but as more info has come out, it's obviously not.

15. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Man. Why does this test level look cooler than any of the tracks that made it into the game?

16. Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Makes me wonder what racing games TT took inspiration from. Seeing as this developer seems willing to share all his proto stuff it would be interesting if a interview in regards to R and 3D could be set up.

17. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's amazing what he's been able to dig up so far. I can't imagine there's anything earlier at this point. I'd love to see later builds of Sonic R but what we have got at this point is more than I ever imagined, so kudos to him to showing us these lost builds.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    "So I set about trying to write software on the PC to display the old files", he said casually. :O

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I wish more devs were as passionate about showing off their older work and telling the story of their stuff as Jon's been. Really enjoy every video he puts out.