don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Well I just finished the game for the 16th time today (I finally completed the save screen on both versions I own)
    Yeah, I definitely think it's the best 2d Sonic game. May even be my favorite Sonic game. Adventure 2 still has a special place in my heart, though.

Still not the ultimate 2d Sonic game, but we're definitely close. They just need make a sequel with only original levels and I think we'll be good to go.

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'm probably late on noticing this, but... is there no convenient way to replay all of Mania's special stages? Level select only seems to take me to the first one, debug-placed giant rings just give 50 rings even without the emeralds, and hunting down the stages' giant rings just for the UFO chases isn't exactly ideal. (Meanwhile, Blue Sphere and even Mean Bean get dedicated modes in the Extras menu.)

Come to think of it, I'd love the option to switch to the methods of special stage access from Sonic 1 or 2. It'd be a nice way to allow for more straight-forward emerald collecting on less exploratory runs without planning out a route in advance.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The Dev menu on the PC version :v:

4. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Good thing that's the version I have and I'd been meaning to take a look at that anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Now if only we had as many UFO Chase stages as we do Blue Sphere ones.

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

So I managed to get one of those Sonic Mania custom Raspberry Pi that were being sold online.

I'm liking it more than I thought I would. I originally was just going to fix the LED light and make a simple one, but the seller went beyond that and made something better. Especially being able to use Genesis controllers.

6. VirtuaKazama

VirtuaKazama

So I came across a video on the PC version that shows an unused boss fight in Sonic Mania, named EggJanken (or Janken Capsule or something). That makes me wonder what else has been cut from the game, aside from Egg Reverie trying to be a full stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZbWXPp46s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZbWXPp46s

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    A trip to https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Mania will probably be in your interest.

8. Simon A.C. Martin

Simon A.C. Martin

Fixing railways
    I feel like, reading this thread, that I must have warped into some sort of a fanboy instead of the usual critic I am. I get the nitpicks and understand them: but I'm just having waaaaay too much fun with Sonia Mania to really care about the flaws.

For example, CRT filters. Love the idea, think they've been done well. When has this ever been done before in a Sonic game? Seriously guys, take the will for the deed. It's a nice touch. Lets not get too hung up on it.

Remixed levels - well yeah, all new levels are good and yes we probably could have done with more of them. But the nostalgia factor for me is spot on. The dev team picked every single one of my favourite Sonic levels. Can't quite believe it. Hairs literally rise when the Flying Battery Zone music starts.

I think constructive criticism towards Sonic Mania 2's development (surely this is inevitable?) is fine. I just don't think the game is so fundamentally flawed to warrant the depth of criticism I have seen elsewhere.

For me, this is Sonic 4. It does a great job of reminding us where we left off in 1994 and setting the scene for the present and the future.

On my wishlist for Sonic Mania 2 - Sonic R multiplayer levels using the Sonic Mania special stage models etc. I loved the special stages this time around - proper stroke of genius. Now we need that to be a full on multiplayer experience.

Would love to be able to switch the sprites between the four or five distinct Sonic looks (S1, S2, S3/K and M) for the main game. Same for Knuckles and Tails actually.

Oh, last bit of wish listing. Please Christian et al - can we find a way to bring the death egg back properly in Mania 2? Titanic Monarch for me wasn't quite as nostalgic as a potential replay of the epic S3&K Death Egg Zone.

9. Deef

Deef

Ufff the Death Egg again is too much overkill on the nostalgia for me. They need to epic-up some other thing, the weird ruby seems ok. ... If only it didn't have Sonic Forces' stink on it.

10. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Sorry I'm late on the timer issue (I've been on holiday in Italy), but I think you're all missing something important here, like the fact that the timer is counting UP rather than DOWN - to which the Mario games have the latter.

To me that gives the idea of "how fast can you complete the level", rather than "how much time you have got left to complete the level". I can certainly see both sides of the issue (the idea of a [1 minute warning to, and a] timeout death in the original/classic games gives the feel of the game telling you "why are you still playing this level? You're wasting time here!" because - especially Sonic 1 and 2 [apart from a few levels] - it doesn't normally take you 10 minutes to get through a level. However, when S3&K came along and introduced a lot more hidden areas and bigger maps, the emphasis has changed a bit more towards exploration; the time limit was still left as it is, because it's just how it was in the first two)

As for Sonic Mania, although I may just be oblivious to it here, I'm not getting the feeling of speedrunning as much (to which I've never actually really bothered to do outside of classic GHZ and EHZ on occasion), but of just enjoying the game as a fan letter to the fans, by the fans. And I want to explore ["read"] every part of their "fan letter", but there have been a number of times when I realised I only had a minute left to complete the level, and had to rush to the end.

And like I mentioned at the beginning, had the timer started at 10 minutes and counted DOWN, even newcomers would realise that's how much time they would have to complete the level (and if you completed the level with 1 second to spare, you'd get the huge points bonus). But I guess that's one of the pitfalls of continuing with making this the [best ever] sequel to the classic Sonic games by keeping such staples like this intact.

Speaking of points in the classic 2D games - other than giving you extra lives (to which this game gives you a ridiculous amount of rings in each level which builds up to tonnes of lives anyway) - what IS the point of 'points' nowadays? What purpose is there in having them? Is it just out of consistency within the Sonic universe to have them? I don't ever see anyone go and say "wow, look how many points I've accumulated!" (except in the 3D games like SA 2 and Generations where you get an 'S' rank); it just seems.... pointless

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually, as far as Time Overs go I liked how Sonic Colors handled it. When you got a Time Over (which seems to vary based on the level, I don't agree with that implementation as it gets too confusing) instead of dying you were no longer awarded points, which would hurt your end of act rank. Granted since the Classic games don't have ranks that would really work, but maybe some other penalty would? Like maybe if you got hit you wouldn't be able to pick up lost rings?

12. Speaking of time, I would have loved a "Time Out" option to allow the time to go on like in Sonic Jam, but I never really got a time over unless I was goofing around.

The one thing I really wanted from Sonic Jam in Mania was easy mode, since it allows the Blue Sphere stages to not speed up.

13. Simon A.C. Martin

Simon A.C. Martin

Fixing railways
    But you have to admit - this level was pretty damn epic back in 1994:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOnWSrKlRcc[/youtube]

14. VirtuaKazama

VirtuaKazama

Oh I remember this site. That's where I looked up the unused VF1 character models. Thanks!

15. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    So, I had a strange bug during my no emerald run with Sonic and Tails where I managed to set off the end of stage music in Press Garden Act 2. Doing so cut the rest of the BGM until the boss fight.

Another thing to note is that if you create a clip direct from the PS4, a SEGA copyright will appear in the bottom-right corner.

http://youtu.be/RHPsdpzatRc

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That happens all the time in Press Garden Act 2, which is a shame because I love that zone's music. I'm expecting that'll be fixed with a patch at some point.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    What the hell??? Either they put that there...just because....or the Act 1 HBH fight replaced it. As for Press Garden, it finally happened to me with Knuckles. It wasn't the end of the world.

18. Felik

Felik

This boss is about as terrible as most Mania bosses.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I love most of Mania's bosses...

20. Felik

Felik

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I only truly loved exactly one boss in the game. Metallic Madness 2. The rest were either ok or terrible.