don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I'm talking about the level being actual IRON BOXES spammed all over the place with this and making the real stage geometry work as a decoration instead of making an actual new level.

I'm not gonna expect them to make a new level for free DLC given that making new geometry is such an organized and long process. I'm just saying they should question why that is a long process in the first place for the next game and what sacrifices they could make.

Unleashed solved a lot of technical problems that very few engines could actually handle at the time because Sonic requires a very particular kind of level design. It's probably time to start thinking about that again instead of dragging the Hedgehog Engine to next gen with a couple of graphical updates.

2. Amnimator

Amnimator

I mean, even from the little I've used of Hammer Editor, even that has a better workflow for white-boxing collision than Generations/ LostWorld. Needing to export your model and do a lengthy re-import is one of the worst ways to slow down a workflow so heavily oriented on the terrain.

Also, for the argument that Lost World was easier to create levels for, wasn't that where every stage needed gravity to be manually set up very specifically for the terrain? Visually, maybe it's easier, but I'm not so sure some of the level designers had a field day on that one.

3. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    Interview with Nakamura and Avatar edited by himself
    https://youtu.be/jvjO4_OMFcg

4. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It doesn't matter when Sonic's like 'Nope, no more I shall follow the laws of physics!' when he curls into a ball.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic Forces page is up on Steam. Seems like Hardlight (the developer behind the Sonic Dash and more recent Sonic Jump games) is handling the PC port since they're listed as developer. Also it uses Denuvo like Sonic Mania.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Christ you'd think after Mania they'd have learned their lesson.

Least they put it up front this time...

7. Dario FF

Dario FF

They learned to not hide it until release this time at least.

Denuvo in Mania seems like such a non-factor when it comes to modding so I'm not very concerned. It's their waste of money if they insist on keeping it after the thing gets cracked a week later though.

8. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I know Mania and Forces are supposed to be connected but this is a bit much.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Guys, it's obvious.

The Phantom Ruby is Denuvo. It's ripping apart reality.

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Watch this one get cracked even faster.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The pirates should form an anti-Denuvo cracking group just for Sonic games and call it The Sonic Crackers! :v:

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Wow, Hardlight? That's totally unexpected. They've only done mobile games up until now. And a lot of SEGA Europe's PC ports are outsourced to some no-name third parties. This is interesting! I wonder how good it will be.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They actually have done a PC port before. The Viking: Battle for Asgard PC port was one of the first things they did when the studio was started.

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

If the configuration screen actually works and doesn't shit itself every time your hardware configuration slightly changes it'll already be better than the Generations port. :v:

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Is it only me or it seems Sega ditched Dimps as a Sonic-game developer?

2001: Sonic Advance

2002: Sonic Advance 2

2004: Sonic Advance 3

2005: Sonic Rush

2007: Sonic Rush Adventure

2008: Sonic Unleashed (Wii)

2010: Sonic 4 EP 1

2011: Sonic Generations 3DS

2012: Sonic 4 EP 2

2013: Sonic Lost World

It's been 4 years since their last partnership.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I would like to think so, but I won't write off their return just yet. Dimps games have always been supplemantary - not the main ones. After SEGA stopped the handheld side-series following the release of Rush Adventure, Dimps were relegated to doing secondary versions of the main games (e.g. Unleashed Wii, Generations 3DS etc) and S4. S4 crashed and burned in the end, while Forces simply doesn't have a handheld version. I think it's got less to do with SEGA ditching Dimps and more to do with SEGA just wanting to do things differently now. Forces at least has it's handheld version by way of the Switch port.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Forces has a handheld version in the form of Sonic Forces: Speed Battle. While not a full fledged game like the Dimps B series, it does make more sense in today's market to have a mobile game tie in for a quick cash grab.

18. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    All I can say is, At least it's only $40.

19. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

The description of this video states that Sonic Forces is being played on PC, so maybe Hardlight did a good job with the port?

20. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

As much as I'd like to see a continuation of some of the handheld subseries, part of me hopes that Dimps pulls an Inti Creates and just starts developing their own Advance/Rush/Lost World styled games under new IPs a la Azure Striker Gunvolt and Mighty Gunvolt since Sega apparently has no interest in hiring them to develop Sonic games anymore. I'd like to see what they'd do without Sonic Team's influence.

Also, after Mania, is anyone really surprised that Sega's much bigger budget game has Denuvo?