don't click here

Sega Forever

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by High Fidelity, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Comix Zone received an update that claims the sound quality should have improved. Have there been any other updates for the other apps?

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah awesome - so it looks like they might finally be getting their shit together. More updates soon please Sega.

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Improvement in performance seems negligible at best

4. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
  5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Re-releases of Revenge of Shinobi are only interesting at this stage to see how much content they cut.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Meybe they got rid of the Terminator reference this time! :specialed:

7. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    ....did no one get Revenge of Shinobi? Again, the internet access on my Android phone is very limited at the time, so I can't get it for myself now.

But I mean... someone here has to play it, right? For documentation purposes and stuff.

8. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    When a Sonic/Sega themed message board won't download a free Sega app, I think that speaks droves about the campaign's success.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Fix'd.

10. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So the good news: Ristar has been added to Sega Forever. And the bad news: Same problems as the other releases. Performance issues, control issues, slow down and obtrusive ads. Christ Sega this shit could have been so fucking awesome. Get your shit together and at the very least update the emulator.

EDIT: This info may not be entirely accurate. See my new update below.

11. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    That's interesting. Just read the following on NeoGAF:

- Ristar is reportedly performing significantly better than other games and is supposedly using a new emulator
    - All Sega Forever games will be updated to the new emulator sometime this month
    - Saturn games are coming to Sega Forever and will be ported, not emulated

So wow some good news. Looks like Sega are getting their shit together.

12. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Call me when there's details on the Dreamcast games. In fact, SEGA, call me when you need help porting Dreamcast games. And please don't use that awful SADX port. Please.

13. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    As I recall they're planned for at some point down the line as they were teased initially.

I think this service will become more interesting as it evolves and eventually comes to modern systems and PC. It's a little limited being stuck to phones.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I can corroborate this. I tried Ristar out today and performance is definitely in the mostly acceptable range now. Still a bit of tearing, but nothing like the massive framedrops before.

The virtual D-Pad still doesn't hold a candle to Taxman's, though.

15. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    I'll still be playing Revenge of Shinobi and Sonic on my actual Mega Drive, but it's nice that they're actually trying now with optimisation. Ristar shouldn't be TOO bad with touch controls, right...?

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    STILL. NOT. FIXED.

EDIT: I would really like it if "Sega Forever" echoed their early sentiments of their "bringing the arcade experience home" and actually released decent arcade emulation instead of the home console ports. The arcades are dying and Sega could potentially open up with arcade titles from the early 90's instead of MD emulation. How much of a legal rats nest do you suppose that might be?

17. null1024

null1024

There are almost certainly zero legal issues involved.
    However, emulating the myriad boards Sega used is money and or effort spent, and I dunno if Sega Forever is bringing in enough or expected to bring in enough for that.
    In the past, they've hired other companies like M2 to do this sort of thing, and I'm suspecting costs are preventing them from just hiring M2 again.

18. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Sonic the Fighters has been emulated on Gamecube, PS2, and XBL and PSN. I can't imagine the same technique not working for something like Daytona USA with 8 players online... VirtualON, however, would be much harder to play due to all the buttons.

I think a faithful port of Golden Axe Arcade is long overdue.

19. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Crazy Taxi and Space Harrier II are on Sega Forever as of 13th September. Previously there was no Space Harrier II on Android.

20. Flygon

Flygon

I could go for mashing together the Arcade and Mega Drive versions, myself.

Make the best version from both!