don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Steam sales seem to have levelled out at 102K without any significant jump in days now. I'm a little disappointed to be honest given Taxman and Stealth's Sonic CD remaster managed to hit 350K at its peak. Anyone know whether that was prompted by flash sales or a reduced price at some point? Seems odd that an original game with the hype and glowing critical reception that Mania has would fail to reach the same heights. Still early I guess. And we do know that Mania is faring extremely well on consoles so far so there's that.

2. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I think it has done well considering people lost their collective shit over Denuvo and was delayed two weeks. I'm betting though that most people bought it on consoles, specifically the Switch. It was at the top of the eShop for weeks and now sits in the #2 spot for current best sellers with the new release Mario + Rabbids beating it.

It should also be considered that CD has been in bundles and on sale multiple times over the years. It's a hard comparison to draw until it has been out as long as CD.

All that said, there have been comments from the team on Twitter stating that the sales so far have been above expectations.

Edit: There has been more detailed tracking here; https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/22646-sonic-mania-sales-thread-pc-sales-at-over-100000-in-3-days/?page=2

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic CD is currently at 431,081 ± 18,760 owners according to SteamSpy. However: it launched at a fourth of the price of Mania ($5), this is years after release, and it has been on sale (probably for like 75% off) and been in bundles a lot. And I can assure you that most of those sales either comes from when the game was dirt cheap or from bundles, because only 44.47% of the people who bought the game have actually played it.

100k for the first few weeks is great, at least for PC. It may have sold way less than CD has on Steam at this point, but it assuredly has earned way more. It maybe could have sold more if it weren't for the reaction to the game having Denuvo, but regardless of that it still sold pretty well. It's very far from a sales disaster anyway.

4. Haxhabte

Haxhabte

USA
    One thing you also have to consider is that the Sonic CD Remaster was also on mobile and therefore it reached a larger audience. Mobile gaming is pretty big and considering that a lot of people are familiar with sonic in general, I'm not surprised that it tops mania in quantity of sales.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    SteamSpy only tracks sales on Steam. So this doesn't include mobile or console sales, only PC.

6. Haxhabte

Haxhabte

USA
    Oh I missed that part haha. Sorry about that.

Still though adding to what was being said, I feel like the desire for a good sonic game at the time might have played a big part. I mean heck I was real hyped that I was getting a PC release of a classic sonic game that was enhanced in its own ways.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So I guess you also missed the part where those sales numbers are of how much Sonic CD on Steam has sold at this point, now how much it sold a couple of weeks in? :v:

We don't know how much Sonic CD sold on Steam at launch. It's very possible that it sold way less a couple of weeks in than Mania has at this point, even with it only costing five bucks.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Holy shit, I didn't hear that until you pointed it out. ahahahaha

9. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah, that's reassuring to hear i.e. the responses on sales from both Dissent and TimmiT. I think that puts Mania's sales in better perspective somewhat. They were calling ~100K sales in three days a massive sales success on NeoGAF so I thought I was missing something. It's great to get a more detailed run-down and insight. Would love to eventually see Mania reach something like Valkryia Chronicles down the line, which smashed 500K quite rapidly and now sits on an extremely impressive ~926K. I suppose the two projects aren't really comparable (Sonic CD is still the much better comparison) but if a niche/cult game like VC can do so well on Steam then I don't see why Mania can't climb in a similar sales trajectory over time.

Basically after what Iizuka said regarding Mania's commercial and critical reception determining the future of Sonic I seriously want to see Mania do well.

One thing that was glossed over in that Rolling Stone interview I posted with Taxman was that he's looking to do an original project next (pending "discussions" with Sega) so I guess we might not immediately get a Sonic Mania 2 anyway though if Mania 1 does extremely well in sales then that of course vastly increases the chances.

10. Still absolutely loving this fan-character: http://www.dorkly.com/post/85118/the-internet-misread-a-sonic-sprite-and-made-a-wonderful-new-character

Now she's even got original mini-boss music, a 3D model in the same style of the Special Stages (Swap with the UFO?), and a sprite that could work to swap out some of the minibosses with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oibkOeLs4Cs

11. sparkpinretro

sparkpinretro

Twice the tails, double the fun Member
    Change the https to http.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that while many have mentioned that the Sonic 3 boss theme is in the final boss theme, nobody's mentioned the Sonic CD US boss theme sample at the very beginning. But everyone probably noticed already :v:/>

12. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    We should make a thread about the character if there isn't one already. It's the only fan-creation I've ever wanted to see used in an official capacity. My idea for her shtick would be having actually great plans that are insurmountable for Sonic but Eggman manages to screw it up every time somehow.

13. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    ...I don't hear it -_o

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It is verrryyy faint but "It's showtime" is said in the intro. It's within the 1st 5 seconds or so.

15. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    This may sound dumb, but where does the "it's showtime" sound come from? Is it Roger Craig Smith?

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Don't know what the actual source the soundbite is from, but it plays prior to boss battles in later versions of Sonic Megamix.

17. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Thank you. It's very faint indeed, I barely heard it the third time :p

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yes but they had to get that from somewhere.

19. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Isn't it from Street Fighter Alpha 3? Sounds like that game's announcer.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I had to go to a more silent computer so that I could hear it...