don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I had actually planned on ignoring the Drop Dash my first few runs, and then learn it after I was comfortable with the game, like I did with Instashield. I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

On a semi-related note, I wish they gave the standard shield bullet deflection like the elemental ones have. I get that it's consistent with Sonic 1/2, and I get that it still gives some protection while letting you keep the Drop Dash, but it still feels underpowered in comparison.

2. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

Yeah there's a few things that bother me about the game like that.

I would have liked to see different animations for super tais and knuckles as opposed to just glowing. I just got all the emeralds for tails but it feels kind of like an empty victory. Definitely not as rewarding as getting super sonic.

3. corneliab

corneliab

Those bosses share the same map. The Rider's actually at the top of hidden palace. Just use debug to clip down or above as needed once you've either left the main lava reef stage or selected Lava Reef 3.

4. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

Sorry if this was discussed already- I noticed much like in the old games Super Sonic's sprites are not complete.

Was this intentional? Kind of disappointing they couldn't have filled in those few remaining animations. I know with the old games they probaby had time and memory restraints. In this day and age it seems like this could have been done very early on.

Also, unrelated but I noticed a weird bug? I'm playing on PC- I beat the game a couple times now and have quite a few extra lives. I'm in Green Hill Act 2 and noticed that the Fire shield here is broken as if I have already used it- but I restarted. Thinking maybe that was why, I exited the level and replayed it. Still broken. I haven't restarted the program. Is this some weird effect of me playing this level 100 times or just a glitch?

[​IMG]

5. I mentioned this happening to me a ton of pages ago, right after the PC release I believe. It's only happened to me a very small number of times, and only in Green Hill. I don't remember if it happened in GHZ1 or just GHZ2, but it's definitely happened with the exact fire shield you mentioned and a couple of other monitors. I have absolutely no idea what causes it, it seems to be very rare, but you're not going crazy.

6. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I think I've had a capsule be mysteriously broken in a zone other than Green Hill. I can't remember what it was and I think it only happened once.

I just got through completing the first five special stages without jumping at all outside of bouncing off of ramps and grounded ring capsules. The seventh one looks completable, but most of the rings in the sixth one are in midair. Doing a u-turn at the start and turning back around appears to be suicidal. It doesn't seem possible to finish playing like this.

Likewise, it doesn't look like it's possible to complete Knuckles' MSZ1 as normal Sonic. I was really hoping it was or that I'd at least find a lightning shield somewhere to give me a little more height, but I'm not surprised that I eventually ran into a dead end.

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

Sonic's extra jump height makes Heavy King a bit easier and Knuckles' glide actually makes it much easier to time hits on Heavy Rider.

7. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Spoilered for size.
    [​IMG]

I remember the ads this references, but I notice the T in "next" is missing. Is "the nex level" a reference I'm unaware of, or did they just not want to break symmetry?

8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Almost certainly the latter - the original ads cheated by having an extra letter on the bottom row and adjusting the spacing accordingly, which you can't really do when adhering to a strict grid as with these flippable letter tiles...! = P

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of, it looks kind of weird that Super Sonic just reuses his "flying at high speed" animation when hovering in place... I'm a bit surprised they didn't use something like this:
    [​IMG]

(Imagine it colored yellow and flashing =P)

10. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

Ok, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but it's really weird. Sometimes monitors just disappear for no reason, across several playthroughs and platforms. I've observed this happening several times:

FBZ2: In an alcove where there should be speed shoes and a ring monitor. You only get bounced back and the place seems pointless, leaving the player confused. (Was it on Game grumps? I don't remember.)
    CPZ1: Near the end of the level while I was dicking around in Time Attack. There were two ring boxes after a small ramp that just weren't there.
    LRZ2: In a tiny room with a bunch of exploding rocks and a invincibility monitor after a conveyor belt. The invincibility was missing, which is pretty bad since it's meant to help you go forward and reach a special ring. From Angriestpat's playthrough yesterday.
    FBZ1: The weirdest one. Remember the spikes you push to fall on a special ring? Missing entirely. So objects are also disappearing.

There are more that I probably don't remember.

11. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    [​IMG]

Now what do I do :(

I would love to play the bonus Blue Spheres content but without a way to track progress it's not very interesting to me.

12. Frostav

Frostav

Oh bbby LEVEL MAPS WOOT

http://imgur.com/a/ZiVoQ?grid

Dear god these levels are even more ridiculously huge than I thought when you view them as a whole. CPZ2 in particular is just holy shit. It's THAT huge!?

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    ^ Holy crap, somebody actually did it! And so soon after release too!

Really thought it would be a while before we would get these, especially since the guy who made the Zone 0 level guides for the classic games said he wouldn't be making any level guides for the game.

14. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Beautiful levels. Good to see my suspicions of Titanic Monarch being a Chaotix level confirmed.

15. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

These are a beauty to behold/wonderful to see--thanks for linking.

Looking at those does further emphasize how lean the Sonic & Tails version of Mirage Saloon Zone Act 1 is compared to every other Act in the game, though. I would have enjoyed that Act/been a lot more on board with it if the train section had been a lot longer/more complex than it is. You're on it for like all of five seconds before jumping in a blaster and going straight to the boss (who also happens to be one of, if not the, weakest in the game).

I thought the train conceptually was really cool, though, and based on how much effort went into the animation/cutscene for it before you're actually on it, I'm guessing they planned on having the train sequence be longer/more detailed in terms of layout. Guessing it was reduced in size/scope either due to lack of time or difficulty making it interesting due to size constraints of the train itself. (Having the train cars be fairly realistic in terms of width/height dimensions definitely a big constraint on what they could do in terms of layout/design.) Possibly a combination of the two, but I'd imagine mostly due to just not having time. Even with the simplistic design due to size constraints simply making it longer would have helped tremendously. Ah well, not a big deal--and at least the Knuckles version of Act 1 is tremendous!

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Just noticed that the collection of level maps doesn't include the last act, Titanic Monarch Act 2. Hopefully they update that and include it.

17. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

Wow that would have been really cool.

Also what I'm about to say is VERY nitpicky but- Super Sonic's mini sprites from Metallic Madness are just a recolor of his normal ones. How hard would it have been to do a few more sprites just for that added flair?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wonder if the lack of Super Sonic sprites was due to nostalgia or time constraints?

19. So, I got my Sega Saturn Controller to work fine in Sonic Mania...

If you have a D-Input Controller that was built for USB 2.0, use that port on your PC and the game should recognize it properly.

Don't use a USB 3.0 port for a USB 2.0 Controller... :specialed:

Also the game's launch icon is super grainy on Steam, so I replaced it.

20. Frostav

Frostav

Given the odd non-linear nature of the level, perhaps it's stored in a different way or the map ripper had to spend more time making it look presentable.

Also, a few comments on the level maps:

-Chemical Plant 2 might be the most extremely vertical level in the series (discounting Chaotix) except for Titanic Monarch 1.

-Studiopolis 1 has some random tiles placed below the middle for some reason--given that it was the first ever level made for the game (before it even became Mania), they must have just been testing object placement.

-Flying Battery 2 doesn't seem too long given that it took me SEVEN MINUTES on my last run, but I think that's just because the outdoor and indoor sections are placed on top of each other.

-Press Garden 1 did not feel that massive and multi-layered when I played it, but I always feel that "indoor" levels (where there's many ceilings cramping your ability to fly into the air) are tight and constrictive.

-Both Stardust Speedway maps are, as I expected, completely incoherent messes that somehow work :v:. They really nailed a sort of CD-esque level design to these, where the level is a completely chaotic mess (even more so than usual), yet without CD's often extremely frustrating design.

-Oil Ocean 2 has a GIANT pit of oil above the fourth submarine and I have no idea why. I swear I haven't seen that section when I've played it.

-Metallic Madness 1's background sections are tinier than I thought, huh.