don't click here

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimera, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPEv7svzRU

Sonic Mania Heroes is now a thing sorta!

Interesting, he did this by changing a motobug to Sonic and it actually kinda worked. So I guess theoretically if this was refined a bit you could have a lot more than 3 players on screen.

I love what can be done with this engine. If it can be cracked and tools can be developed we can finally have a classic base that doesn't have the limitations of Sonic 1 - 3K. I can't wait to see what, well more competent hackers/programmer than I can come up with.

2. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Someone get Flamewing in here quick! :v:/>

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZONyOI9jzUo

Mod of the year, all years :v:

On another note though, I wonder if it's possible to have your partner character go Super when you do? It's always been a bit of a bummer that Tails isn't able to keep up any more once you go Super. Now that they all can, I wonder if there's a way for them to do so at the same time.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Not without a lot of code edits. For one thing, the partner has a separate ring count that is always 0.

5. Rageguy

Rageguy

Ignore the modern sounds here, but I'm currently working this out still.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I'm sure they're all under NDAs and can't release their own tools, but I really hope Taxman, Stealth, and everyone else are getting a kick out of this. You guys are essentially doing to their game what they did to Naka's years ago. :D

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The definitive plot twist then would be that Naka joins this forum and starts hacking Mania with us :U

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    In 20 years Naka will create a Sonic game via his own engine built to emulate the Retro engine and he'll get the original team back together, being big fans of Taxman, Stealth and co's work. This time they'll be allowed to use Dreamcast specs :specialed:

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Neat, I assume you're working out the anim format in some way? Or is this more of a vertex mod?

Aight that's p. sick. Maybe "Sonic Tails &Knuckles" mode can eventually be correct instead of knuckles replaces tails.

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHs8fIlvoVQ
    This why I love modding.

11. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Anyone made a mod that permanently gives Sonic his CD run animation? As silly as it looks I've always preferred that mess of a crazy 8.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The Mod Loader's "Enable Super Peel-Out" code has that as a side effect, in addition to the obvious. I suppose I could make a code that enables the animation but disables the actual move.

13. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    :v:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This tidbit of source code found in this video:

Disassembled code from the EXE file itself.

14. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    Okay good thing I just got turned into a member cuz' someone made a pretty big discovery, and honestly, I don't know whether to post it here or in the main thread but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcpPpE4JREc

It's the Secret Final Boss, Egg Reverie, with the Phantom King turning into the Phantom versions of the other HBH (well, only two of them), with slightly different behaviour to the ones in Titanic Monarch Act 3. Honestly, this would've made the final boss fight even better, since even if it was kind of challenging, it felt kind of...lacking in a sense? I guess this explains it.

15. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    That someone, CodeNameGamma, goes here :p figured they just didnt feel like posting that vid here / slipped their minds w/e, so thanks for linking us, pretty neat find.

Looks like it contextualizes the other parts of Egg Reverie zone; if it wasn't going to be a large sprawling level, it'd make sense for it to be the Phantom King warps you to other places on the map and you avoid mini-challenges with the other Phantoms. At least that's a possibility.

eyyy that video is SICK. Really cool to see the development of this game, a look at RSDK v5 and prototype Mania stuff (also we got a clear answer of the use of those Start icons etc). I chuckled a bit at the "Using Data Folder" bits. Easy toggle for sure ;P

Also those videos really make me wish S1/2 were released on PC as well *sobs*

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

I guess that the original final Eggman battle was going to be mostly revolving around Eggman himself, and then the Heavy King bonus boss was going to have the Hard Boiled Heavies warping parts, but it got switched around to make the final boss more of a final boss by consequence - which, ironically, left the true final boss fight kind of lacking.

17. Not sure if someone has covered this,

but does anyone know why the Debug mode disables the act transitions/cut-scenes?

I want to break cut-scenes using Debug mode like I used to on Sonic 3K...

Not sure if this is the correct topic for this, sorry about that.

18. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    @Deef, Have you played Knuckles' MS act one boss? he gets a a totally different Boss experience.

19. The 64th Gamer

The 64th Gamer

Recreating old Sonic models
    So wait, has anyone extracted the models yet? I can't do so because I have the switch version.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Act transitions still take place in debug mode, but only if you end the levels in their intended way. Placing a goal post and ending the level that way will just warp you to the next one. Also if you have debug mode enabled, the time will keep ticking during stage transitions. I'm guessing this is a fail safe to stop the game from soft-locking. I.e. if you a bunch of item monitors blocking the path after SPZ2, they'll get in your way and stop you from reaching the next zone. But as debug mode is enabled, the time will keep on ticking and when you get a time over, the next act will begin. I don't know why you can't access debug during the cutscenes, but it's probably because of some other game-breaking potential.