don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

That's kind of the problem. It's Sonic Team.

No matter where I go, even those that accept that Sonic had its good times and wasn't always bad also fully agree in unison that Sonic Team has basically lost any sense of direction and their few good turn-outs are but mere flukes at this point. Everyone talked about how they should work on other games for a bit before, but SEGA as a whole has made some terrible decisions (don't get me started on Valkyria Revolution), and you don't just take "Sonic Team," who have made every mainline Sonic game and many spinoffs for over a decade now, and put them on something else for a bit. SEGA would rather just work that sucker to death until something that causes an absolute hellfire happens again.

2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I really think that they were working on something separate that they scrapped at the last minute and Forces is something they put together in a smaller than usual amount of time.

3. RikohZX

RikohZX

Considering Sonic Runners, which died in a year, and Forces having an almost 3DS-like approach to short and simple stages thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Team basically fumbled together safe frameworks from Generations and slammed it all together with the OC ontop to make it sell. The GHZ for Classic Sonic was still a WIP a few months ago.

4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    So, take this for the mindless speculation it is, but what are the odds that Classic and Modern Sonic merge into one entity? A question like this probably breaks some site rules, but I can think of a few reasons why it would make sense, and I've yet to hear anyone consider it, so I thought I'd just toss this out here...

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Maybe they'll merge into Dreamcast sonic and we can just get Sonic Adventure gameplay sequels into perpetuity...
    Oooh maybe they'll call me when they want the Sonic Adventure equivalent of Sonic Mania

6. Hello there up and coming young game developer! Can you make a straight path? Congratulations! You're hired! Now go help the others with that next modern sonic stage in Sonic Forces!

7. Vangar

Vangar

Hi broken Sonic game, long time no see

I hope there's a reference to long time no see in this game

8. I know the first two worlds are uninteresting but can we please wait to crack the jokes full games out or the third world is shown off?

9. You know, other than the physics not being that great, I think the other problem with classic sonic in generations was the scale of his levels being too big. In the genesis games and Mania, something like a slope is maybe 4-5 times taller than sonic. But I seem to recall multiple times in generations (chemical plant comes to mind) the slopes being gargantuan. That goes for a lot of the other level pieces as well. I don't know how to explain it, but something about making sonic so small compared to everything and stretching out all the geometry makes the gameplay a lot more dull in my opinion.

So far, that mentality seems present in Forces. Here's hoping the physics are better though.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Probably because it meant that a loop that was just a footnote and took a second or two to complete transforms into something that a camera pans out to emphasize "WHOA LOOK AT THAT HEDGEHOG RUNNIN THE LOOP WOOOO" for several seconds. All of which are either completely automated, have you holding a direction, and/or are likely to horribly break if you attempt to fight against said automation since Gens Classic Sonic flat out doesn't have the physics to actually be able to do the loops on his own.

11. I'd actually had something like @VectorCNC's theory a few months ago. If SEGA is not expecting for Forces to do well, it could make sense for something like that to be written into the game. The way I saw it happening was that Modern Sonic might die at the end of the game---but for his death to be erased along with Forces events at the end of his timeline by Infinite's shenanigans, or something like that. That way, Sonic Team can prepare for several possibilities: If Forces does do well (definitely a possibility) then they can just pull a Sonic '06 and continue on like nothing happened. If Forces does not do well, then the "Modern Sonic" concept can be tossed out and the series starts fresh...with a single "updated" classic Sonic (which honestly is for the best). Something possibly like Tyson Hesse's impression to carry the torch.

I do think SEGA needs 3D Sonic games to push forward as a brand but they need them to, once and for all, cease getting critically panned and start churning out some Mania level successes that they can throw the full breadth of their marketing machine behind and churn out best selling titles.

12. Jelq God

Jelq God

Something about these give me strong "fan-render" vibes, Shadow in particular. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the lighting, or the poses? I don't know.

13. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I think it's more the fact that the poses are so basic. Really generic "we're bad guys" poses that don't have any personality to them.

[​IMG]

I mean just look at that. Magnificent! Now THAT'S a pose!

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Aw man that Posted Image, always a classic.

I really think they're shooting themselves in the foot, refusing to show off any stage that isn't Green Hill or Park avenue. The hype for this thing would be way higher if we got to see a new wrecked area.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    New render of the cast and the bad guys for TGS 2017

[​IMG]

Damn, it look so cool.
    It would've looked even cooler if they did it in 2D, Adventure style

Also some cool goodies
    https://twitter.com/sonic20th/status/906098983478583297
    https://twitter.com/sonic20th/status/906098645501542400

16. I will admit I do like that render, probably the first thing I've thought looks genuinely good about Forces so far.

Also digging the Eggman Empire logo/emblem, it's a bit busy but it kind of suits Eggman's OTT ego.

I have to agree. Not revealing Mania's zones (or at least trying not to) worked really well but it's not doing Forces any favours. We desperately need to see some gameplay that isn't shallow and linear. We can only get impressions of the game based on what they have showed us, and so far Green Hill and Park Avenue really aren't selling it...

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya but if you look at this compared to Mania, at this point in Mania's development we knew of Green Hill Act 1 and 2, Studiopolis Act 1, Mirage Saloon Act 2, and I think Flying Battery Act 1 and Chemical Plant Act 1. With this game, we have all of Green Hill and all of Park Avenue. All of it. They just won't stop with those 2 levels. Like show bits and pieces of other levels you don't have to show the whole thing, but like, show Modern GHZ, Classic new stage, Tag Team Park Avenue, OC new stage. This all or nothing approach is weird.

To be positive though I do like that render.

18. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    So apparently the Avatar characters probably won't be a "silent protagonist", because it was announced that Aoi Yuki will be the Female Avatar's Japanese voice actress.

(I could be wrong though and the Avatar will have Link-style grunts and voice clips during gameplay, but no dialogue in cutscenes)

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I guess they can make it work if they have a female voice actor and a male voice actor. They'd never have their name said but given how similar they all look anyway I don't see why that wouldn't work.

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I think they're just gonna do attack or hurt sounds. I could have sworn I heard some grunts from the female character in one of the latest gameplay videos.