don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    http://youtu.be/pKtH1fuCzQA

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow, that's possibly the first time I've ever liked Spring Yard Zone's aesthetic. That's some quality work there.

3. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    aight thats p. sick.

Wonder if he'd be interested in prototyping legit gameplay since we got some people here working on UE4 Sonic gameplay. A lot of what he made seems to be more setpiece oriented than actual playspace, which is fine (its definitely sick either way), but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Huh. I've never viewed the brown parts of SYZ as wood, or the purple pillars as chimneys.

Still pretty nice, though.

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    A weird question, but does anyone know who designed Tails Doll? I know Iizuka said it wasn't a member of Sonic Team and that they were also a background artist for Lost World, but does anyone have any firmer details?

6. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    The worst part is he has less subscribers than his work deserves. Its around double mine which isn't a lot. He has 266 subscribers. He posted it in June and we didn't notice.

7. Pengi

Pengi

If the Wiki's credits are accurate, Yoshitaka Miura is listed as a Field Artist for Sonic Lost World. In the Saturn version of Sonic R he's credited under "Special Thanks" and only Yuji Uekawa is credited as a character designer. The PC version also credits Yuji Uekawa as character designer in the "main" credits but then a few seconds later credits both Uekawa and Miura as character designers in the "full" credits. This is before it gets to the PC-specific credits.

So probably Miura.

8. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

So I probably should have mentioned it before but I actually own a Sonic and the Secret Rings DVD:

[​IMG]

It's nothing special though, seems to be one of those DVD's they used to play at video game retail stores.
    But, it's still something cool to have.

If you're wondering what's on it, it's an extended version of the promo that was at the end of the trail version of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU-PMWMlBoA&feature=youtu.be

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Might as well make a high quality version of the video for the wiki then.

10. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    The game POSTAL 2 has a Total Conversion Mod called Happy Night made by Revival games studios. Why do I bring this up? One of the things implemented was a functional arcade with a very special game to play.

https://youtu.be/-_NENMLWcjE?t=3h44m34s

Video should start at 3h 44min 34 sec. Yep, all of that running on Unreal Engine 1.5

11. Amnimator

Amnimator

^ I always get a kick from how goofy these maps look to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbeJsnBBx-A

12. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    Okay guys so I have a question, I know that the stages in Sonic Generations were selected through a poll in Sonic the Hedgehog's Twitter, but does anyone actually have the polls? I'm having a hard time finding them and I'd like to know what were the "2nd Places" if that makes sense. (I'd also like to find it to learn what stages people voted for for the games that didn't get in).

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I thought the polls were deleted, but here's one from early June 2009. It's a comment-based poll. I seem to remember that you were actually able to cast votes in a typical voting system not just in comments, though it appears SEGA took it down after they got the results. TSSZ ran an article on it. Shortly after the vote for levels, there was another vote on tropes. This is the oldest archived post from the Sonic facebook page, so I don't think we're going to get a better look at the first poll.

EDIT: Oh fuck that stupid word filter...

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So, I was looking through the October 1994 issue of Game Players (the first game magazine I ever read!), and I saw this.

[​IMG]

Any info on where that thing came from or what it even is? Given that the Japanese launch of the Saturn was only a few months away at press time, you'd think they'd have a better idea of what it looks like.

15. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Look at this patent... why they used that concept image i really don't know ...

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://segaretro.org/Sega_Saturn/Magazine_articles

17. Pengi

Pengi

There was an interesting Famitsu interview with Naka, Ohshima and Iizuka last year: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201606/24107383.html

Amusingly, Ohshima says he wants the the programmer of the iOS version of Sonic CD to do a "Director's Cut version" that eliminates the time travel animation!

There's also some talk about the limited communication between the Sonic 2 team in the USA and the Sonic CD team in Japan and how that resulted in Mecha Sonic and Metal Sonic.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Interesting. Anyone willing to do a translation?

19. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Nice find. Seems to cover a lot of the development history of the series. It also talks about Tails (or maybe Knuckles) being mistaken for a girl (or perhaps planned to be a girl).

Like Blue Spikeball said, it would be great if we could get a translation.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I know very few people mistook Knuckles for a girl, but in the old days I thought we got confirmation that Tails was female at one time.