don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Oh yeah, I agree and I'm partially playing up my pet-peeve-o-meter. The examples you posted actually work and makes sense they were composed with the intent of at least trying to sound like Famicom/Master System tracks, which is great (using famitracker as well which I always approve of).

I didn't specify any examples, but I was more getting rustled about composers making complex midis, or tunes that sound more like they should be in Sonic 4 than anything else, and them being labelled by thte world of pop culture as '8-bit'.

Legit 8-bit music is great, and even better when it's done properly withh hardware limitations in mind, like Shovel Knight and Mega Man 9 and 10 of recent.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I figured. You can get Sonic into the space between the crate and the ceiling if you're in a ball, but as soon as Sonic stands he gets crushed.

If you hold down, you can roll right through. Ideally though, Sonic shouldn't be crushed by stationary objects.

3. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Just use the momentum trick to collect all 7 emeralds in 10 seconds or less with only Mach 1 like I do. :v:

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Okay, so here's what we've ascertained. The XBOX ONE and SWITCH versions let you play Special Stages when you place a giant ring. The PS4 and PC versions give you 50 rings. Does that sound right to everyone?

Fortunately, it's not a big deal on PC if you just wanna practice, since you can just access all the Special Stages with devMenu.

5. VirtuaKazama

VirtuaKazama

I wasn't even in a ball when this happened. I'm gonna have to replay that stage on my downtime.

6. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Ah, gotcha. And yeah, the "Mega Man 9" and "Mega Man 10" soundtracks are great--especially 9! I still regularly listen to "Concrete Jungle," "Thunder Tornado," and "Galaxy Fantasy" from the OST--so damn good. God what a great game that was. It's honestly my third favorite in the whole series--after 2 and 3. Sign me up for any of these incredibly well-done classic 2D revivals.

7. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Curious: In Titanic Monarch Act 2's boss, is it possible to kill the Phantom Heavies? I tried and failed against Phantom Gunner, but I may have just not gotten enough hits.

8. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Just finished a Knuckles run. I have four thoughts:

1. Wow, there's a lot of stuff and alternate routes to find as Knuckles. It felt like I was playing an entirely different stage at points. I nearly timed out a few times because I refused to let the stage jerk me around so that I could explore. I finished Titanic Monarch Zone Act 1 less than 2 seconds away from a Time Over. Surprisingly, there were rare insatnces where I finished an act much more quickly than I did with Sonic.

2. I keep forgetting that Knuckles comes to a complete halt after landing from a glide. I let this get me hit far more than I should have.

3. Knuckles' Mirage Saloon Zone Act 1 is one of my favorite stages in the game. This is what Knuckles stages in Adventure 1 and Adventure 2 should have been like, not that RNG emerald hunting nonsense.

4. Oil Ocean Zone Act 2's boss made me want to punch a hole in the wall. On all three of my runs as Sonic, I beat the boss my first try. As Knuckles? I lost 17 lives out of 34 and it took me about 17 minutes to finally beat it. I don't even know where to begin with this one. A combination of Knuckles gimped jump, unintentionally gliding/clinging to the walls underneath the platform, the seemingly wonky hitboxes, rings disappearing into the oil, and a weird phenomenon where slide landing on the oil from a glide caused me to be immediately dragged to the bottom and die...

The biggest contributor to my failures is that I let myself get frustrated pretty easily. Even after this boss, I found myself playing much more sloppily than usual.

You don't ever need Mach 3 (and it'd probably be suicide for Special Stage 7), it's just that if the UFO gets far enough ahead, it's actually riskier to stay at Mach 2 since there are only so many rings. Unless I screw up, I tend to try to stay at Mach 2, though in my Knuckles run, I sometimes deliberately went up to Mach 3 because I knew I had nothing to really gain from a super form I knew I was never going to use.

Your friend is right about jumping for easier drifting, but I didn't know about strafing from ramps. I'll have to keep that in mind.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Although we've seen it before between Marble Garden and Carnival Night, the time change from morning to midday was pretty awesome in Mirage Saloon Act 1.

10. Deef

Deef

QFT

11. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    I don't think Sonic has a skull. When I'm crouched under a low ceiling and I stand up and bump my head, I'll let out a grunt of pain, maybe a few swear words, probably rub at it a bit until the pain lessens. Sonic? That bump goes straight to his brain and kills him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l7w-wFTzog

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god, those electric hazards that go upwards in TMZ act like elevators if you have an electric shield. :O

I love how Act 1 looks in part like a mashup between the electric city in Sonic Crackers and a real size Chrome Gadget, they did a great work at remaking those graphics at the correct size (the repurposed Endless Mine parts of Lava Reef look a bit too small, in comparison).

13. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    time attack for this game is easily addicting. the restart feature should be banned for being a gateway to addiction.

in a related note

sharing your speedrun vids means having people usurp your time pretty quickly

14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    This might actually be an issue with the character falling and solidity. When I was doing my Tails run and falling down at the beginning of Hydrocity Act 1, I held left and ended up halfway in the floor on the leftmost platforms when I landed.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ran into a couple of bugs, PS4 version.

Knuckles in FBZ2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZVwdPZ7y58

And another on PGZ2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mJXJ1yB20

16. Knuckles Mirage Salon Act 1 is now one of my favorite Sonic levels of all time. Unbelievably good stuff. Brought me instantly back to my early, early childhood with that gorgeous hiphop theme and atmosphere. Can't express enough how happy I am playing this game.

Studiopolis Zone is also one of my faves from this game, both acts.

I only have the PC version so I'm behind most people. I don't know what else to do to show thanks and appreciation for the Mania crew. Outstanding.
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles has been my favorite video game ever, by far. I don't know how this doesn't close that gap.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So... Does anyone else get the feeling that including all those Sonic 3 & Knuckles levels is SEGA's subtle way of saying "sorry that you'll never be getting a remaster of this game"?

18. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Video of what he's talking about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1VeU3z79E8

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these led to a special stage ring. I've seen a couple of them, but I've never been able to reach them.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Discovering that lightning shield trick after having already played the level a number of times was a real highlight for me. The game keeps surprising me. It's like, I'm still unsure how to reach some paths in levels like PG1 and have never taken the same route from start to finish in FB2. This game is ~1 years work? Fucking amazing. It's rough around the edges in terms of bugs (or it's laden with Robotnik's traps), but it's an absolutely fantastic feat. There's got to be a follow up. I hope the team and SEGA are up for it considering the sales and glowing reception.

20. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Ha, almost feels like Mania is replacing Sonic 3. Mania is pretty much the same length as 3&K (both have 25 acts) and starts in Angel Island just like Sonic 3. includes the elemental shields and more expansive Sonic 3 size levels :v:

Including three Sonic 3&K stages (one more than Sonic CD & Sonic 2) made sense 1) because of the popularity of Sonic 3&K's levels 2) due to 3&K being bigger in length compared to the others.

Maybe we'll get Sonic 3 Remastered one day (I honestly don't mind if some of the content has to be changed; such as brand new music to allow for a new release) but I don't think it will be done by Stealth & Taxman. They've moved on from ports. Now they're making brand new awesome games!

Haha, I didn't now this. Acts as a nice little short-cut. Gotta admire Team Mania's creativity with the elemental shields!

I've now 100%d the Steam version along with the PS4 version!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also uploaded an (unedited) two-part Tails playthrough where I manged to achieve 99 lives (maximum number of lives) didn't die once and collected 500 rings in act2 of Studiopolis which the highest total I've achieved in any of the acts.

Part 1:

Part 2

Looking forward to the PS4 patch which will include the super-transformation being mapped to a different button and the missing cutscene transitions