don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Deef

Deef

There are a few places in the lower route that do this too. One of the less offensive bugs hehe.

Regarding the special stages, #5 is indeed tough but it whips you into shape. Once I finally passed it, 6 and 7 were simple. When I started a Tails run I ended up getting all 7 first try. Now I know you can beat #1 at least by completely lapping the UFO, and #2 backwards. I love that they're so free like that. Those special stages are one of the best things in Mania.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

> 8-bit

I could understand likening Mania to 16-bit even though it's closer to 32. But 8? Guy sounds like a total idiot. I can't stand it when anything retro gets labelled as 8-bit, but I honestly expect more from gamers.

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Don't get me started on this. Listening to '8-bit' remixes of tracks on Youtube is infuriating for the same reason - No you spannoid! Just because you've made a crap synth version of your fave tune doesn't make it '8-Bit'!.
    But sadly with younger people now growing up having no experience of going through the early gens of consoles, everything pre PS1/N64 is going to be '8-bit'. Just end me now, doc.

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Now that I've properly played through the game once I have to ask. Where the everloving fuck can I buy the full goddamn soundtrack? :v:

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Nowhere. The only place for now isData Discs (a digital download is included) but it's limited to the new tracks.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I will be SHOCKED if the full soundtrack isn't put out on Amazon & the like once the LP is out of the door.

7. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

This convo is funny considering I just saw two members of the dev team including the composer talking about these 8-bit remixes done by Cosmic Gem. Seem to be highly approved by those dev team members, and I like 'em a lot too (whether they're accurately described or not).

Agree that people incorrectly saying whether a game resembles 8, 16, or 32 bit visually or musically is a bit annoying, especially when they're clearly way off, but personally it ain't something I'm gonna get worked up about. Totally understand folks that do, though!

Edit: I searched SN76489 on Youtube to see what the most viewed remixes/renditions done in a Master System style were, and gosh there aren't too many on there at all. Kind of a shame--I remember really liking the music in "Deep Duck Trouble" and "Fantasy Zone" when I was a kid. (Haven't listened to those since then so no idea how they hold up.)

8. VirtuaKazama

VirtuaKazama

So I'm currently doing an LP on Sonic Mania, and I died on the weirdest way possible in Press Garden Zone Act 1. Right before the mid-boss of all places.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    What was the way you died? Don't leave us in suspense.

10. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    You could get the record from Data-Discs. It's not the complete soundtrack, though, which makes me sad. It wouldn't have been their first 2xLP release. I'm guessing they couldn't get the rights for most of the S3&K music, so they left out the other classics too? I'm more so upset that the song from Hyper Potions won't be in.

11. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Unless I'm really far away from the UFO, I try to avoid Mach 3 at all costs in most of the stages. I find it so difficult to control that one mistake will usually snowball into me getting hit by several spikes, slipping off the stage, or both.

It's sad because I actually find it fun trying to get the hang of the stages at that speed, but the further I get into the game, the fewer chances I'll have to unlock the true final boss as Sonic. Good thing Debug Mode and Level Select exist.

12. VirtuaKazama

VirtuaKazama

Sorry, I had to rewatch my own video.

So remember after the checkpoint where the floor crumbles and takes you to the mid boss? I held left and somehow died on the crates as if I got crushed by it. I'll show you guys a video once I finish editing it.

13. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I had something different happen to me there. I was doing a Knuckles run on the PS4 version and held left in the same place. Knuckles did not die, but was inside the boss arena but on the left side. Since he never reached the floor the boss wouldn't start and he can't climb or jump over the boxes on the left so I was soft-locked. Had to Restart because I didn't want to wait for a time over.

14. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

Same. Were you on PC? I wonder if this bug was introduced by a patch.

15. VirtuaKazama

VirtuaKazama

That's weird. And I died on the Switch version.

16. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Are you supposed to go the Egg Reverie boss when you have all 7 emeralds as Knuckles & Knuckles? It happened to me too, but I just didn't think much of it and thought it was a missed bug because they basically just made the 2nd Knuckles the Tails actor from the Sonic & Tails mode, and the game just thinks you're Sonic during that cutscene for some reason. Or something like that.

17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    For the seventh emerald, I didn't need Mach 3 at all. Because the UFO has to navigate so many winding turns, I jumped over some curves and reached it at Mach 2 no problem. So Mach 3's not always necessary.

As well, one of my friends mentioned that jumping helps you turn tighter, so it's like a light drift that slows you down enough to make a bend. (Leaping off a ramp also makes Sonic strafe instead of turn.) It does take some practice to avoid the spikes, though. My hands got pretty sweaty until I reached the fifth emerald.

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    So the Debug Mode Special Rings you place on PC, it gives you 50 rings. The XB1 version I played let you play special stages. Was that deliberate?

Also I can't figure out the Debug cheat code on PC. What is it supposed to be?

19. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    On the note of Special Stage 7, man that stage feels way too easy for a final Special Stage. I don't think I'm alone on that idea either.

Why does everyone hate Special Stage 5 though? Almost everyone I know detests that stage and I don't really have any problems with it. Maybe that comes off as a humblebrag but I don't really see why everyone loathes it so much.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Debug cheat? What do you mean, like the level select? I think it's pressing Q and A at the same time on the no save slot.

Also fun difference. On the PS4 you can place random monitors and switch monitors with debug mode. You actually can't do that in the PC version.