don't click here

Sonic Mania experiences with Denuvo

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Laughingcow, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Based on your posts in which you defend anti-consumer DRM software, would I be correct in assuming you're using Windows 10?

2. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Because this shit has been tried before. Not everyone will be affected by it, but some already have been and this is the short term. The long term is when the servers are eventually shut down, everyone will be affected except for those that pirated the game.

It puts a high burden on some processors that's already been stated by a few people. When processors start working too hard they got quite hot. This causes the fans to spin faster (which can shorten their life) and the amount of power the processor uses increases as a result of this. This can be a big problem for laptops.

Hard drives have almost unlimited write cycles, but not solid states. I wasn't referring to that. Go back and re-read the post as I never once brought this up.

People with expensive gaming rigs are experiencing frame drops that surely should be able to handle it on something without the DRM could run on Sega Saturn (which is quite old and slow).

It seems to me all you want to do is defend bad decisions by large companies and not hold them accountable for it. Sucking the corporate tit because you think you have nothing to lose from it. While at the same time proving you're a lying hypocrite.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    How do you know that these PCs that can't handle the DRM actually just can't handle Mania (or whatever game). Not much of a stretch is it? If it's a pc specific issue then it could be anything right?
    Just wondering.

4. [​IMG]

Mania could run on a fucking Sega Saturn. It should not be causing my temps to reach these kinds of levels and have my fans screaming on my laptop.

5. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    The extra work a computer has to do with DRM can actually hamper performance on something that could actually run it without it in the first place. If something can't handle Mania than it's easier to rule out without the DRM in place. It's like having to run 2 demanding programs instead of just one but you can't disable the other one to find out where the problem lies because you're forced to have run both in order to run another at all.

DRM can be much more demanding because the extra work the processor has to do. Some computers won't have any issue with it, where others start to have problems with it because you added too much to the workload of the processor, so performance begins to suffer. Denuvo can require instructions from the processor that it simply doesn't support, hampering performance, where Mania isn't even using those.

6. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I'm the only one that notices the typo or is intentional?

7. You still have not proven that these issues that others are having are due to Denuvo and are still referring to myths about how the programs works. You're also going by the assumption that the developers and publisher won't do anything in the event that the servers go down.

I use Windows 7. You seem to be so sure of yourself.

Are you even sure of whether Denuvo is the cause? It's more like you're going off of what other people claimed because it fit with your biases.

8. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I just want to throw in that my rig can run a Batman game with the settings cranked but can't do the same for Mania even though it far exceeds the minimum requirements. Somehow I doubt that's an optimisation failure on Taxman and co's part. So, you know, Occam's Razor and all.

9. Did you even look at the picture. The CPU? What it's clocked at? I have virtually nothing running in the background and thart is all due to Mania. 58 MB of RAM being used by it. 30% CPU

And just for funzies.

[​IMG]

This is with Mania closed and over 50 tabs in chrome. Maybe Firefox would be a better test for this.

So please, tell me again what could possibly be the cause of this WHEN MY SPECS ARE WAY ABOVE MANIA'S REQUIREMENTS before you come running to me calling me "biased" and doing this:

10. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Honestly, you're close-minded individual or just willfully ignorant.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 and even I can't defend some of the stuff Microsoft has done in regards to that. And in defense of GerbilSoft I do not blame him for feeling the way he does.

The proof is in front of you dumbass. What more does Xeal need to prove to you? Are you that dense? You're the one who is biases.

11. You already had the preconceived notion that Denuvo is the cause of your problem, but you don't even have substantial evidence to corroborate that. You have no tests. I'm far more inclined to believe SEGA, who likely tested the game to make sure that there wasn't any significant performance impact, if any, than some person on the internet who's going off of what other people have said.

12. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    His CPU temperature is about the same as mine is with all those Chrome tabs except it doesn't ever get above 50 at all. The only time I've seen my CPU with a high of temperatures of 60 was when I was stress testing it back after I finished building my current computer using Prime95 which I ran for a 24 hour period (not a single crash). His computer is screaming in pain as he is playing Sonic Mania, that's quite abnormal for a 2D game like Sonic Mania on modern hardware.

13. MastaSys

MastaSys

I tottaly flabbergasted how defensive some people get regarding a invasive DRM that works just like a spyware trojan.

In my case, when my network was on the dumps i had an horrible slowdown during some network check that took almost one minute to go back at normal speed.
    Not else happened, but I'm hardly happy about the uncessary bloat i have installed on my pc that might have a nice grave after some years next to those dead SecuROM videogames.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This was bothering me too, so I just fixed it. :v:

15. Smashbro

Smashbro

Frankly, while I dislike how Sega waited until release to surprise us with Denuvo....
    The game itself is just too damn good for me to really care. I love this game..... and now that I see there being a dedicated thread to unlocking the games secrets....pretty much puts my mind at ease that the game is still very much modable.
    Taxman and Stealth should pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

16. lil-g-gamegenuis

lil-g-gamegenuis

GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! Member
    olathe, ks
    Practicing to make better SMPS
    Since you brought up the point of the preconceived notion that Denuvo is the problem, I figured I'd also chime in and say that I get the same temperature spike on mania. I had no clue there was a DRM problem when I first started playing and I was really confused why all 4 of my fans in my desktop were blasting. I checked Nvidia's System Monitor and it was well over the normal temp that it should be running at. My specs were well over the recommended let alone minimum and i can play many more resource intensive games and be fine.

So before you try and say that I already didn't like Denuvo, I didn't know what Denuvo was until I googled why Sonic mania was using so many resources.

17. Are.
    You.
    Kidding me.

You really are this fucking dense to not realize that this kind of game should not be causing these kinds of issues. Imagine if Sonic 2 overheated the fucking Genesis. Does that make a fucking lick of sense to you? The game was due to be released on the 15th with no DRM. It gets delayed for 2 weeks so this DRM can be put into the game. A game that has the capability of running on SEGA SATURN if Stealh/Tax could have been arsed to make a port of it for the console, is causing a laptop with a CPU that is way more fucking powerful that an Hitachi SH-2 made in the 1990s - to heat up. This game is not causing PS4s and Xbox Ones or Switches to heat up, and guess what they don't have? Any fucking DRM.

This is like you saying a gunshot wound on a victim isn't a gunshot wound because you see no gun even though the damage done to the tissue/bone whatever the ever living fucking body part that got shot is inline with a bullet wound. Mania does not take that much in resources to run, so something else has to be the cause of these temperature spikes whilst the game is SURPRISE... running,

Or for another kick this is like you stating that dark matter doesn't exist because we haven't physically found it albeit we know it's there affecting the expansion of the universe. We know something is fucking with it, and we call it dark matter. This is you going "no no nothing is affecting it because you haven't physically seen it what is being labeled as dark matter".

Or even better. Gravity. It's only a theory at this current moment. Every field require a corresponding particle (higgs boson for the higgs field, photons for the electroweak field, etc). We have not found the graviton yet, which would be the particle needed for the field we have defined to be as gravity. And since we haven't found it, clearly by your logic it's perfectly fine for anyone to take a nice walk right off the Sears Tower (yes that's not the official name anymore but I don't give a flying fuck I'll still call it that) even though as I sit here in my chair and look around, I don't see anything floating about as if gravity wasn't there.

18. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I'm fine with DRM for the launch window. In theory, it should guarantee sales within the time it takes for it to get cracked. But honestly I think the people who were going to pirate it will just wait and do it anyway. That being said, I'd agree Denuvo is definitely anti-consumer. The point has been proven, LimitCrown, but you read the proof and decided that it isn't proof because you don't like it. Perhaps if I address the intended functionality of Denuvo here, you'll understand the issue.

Here's a little excerpt from the Denuvo website about their anti-tamper technology, the same used in Sonic Mania:

First of all, we already have a god damn mod loader. Just ask MainMemory; he had no issue looking at the code in memory to find an entrypoint for the mod loader and implement file redirection. That required/requires debugging, reverse engineering, and changing the application. It has failed on all fronts.

Now let's look at the limitations Denuvo imposes to the end-user compared to the reverse engineer who just implemented a fucking mod loader:

It requires "one-time" online activation. Fair enough, Steam requires this too. Oh what's this, your hardware changed? We require another online activation. You know, separate from Steam, the platform that already manages the game license. But don't worry, we definitely need this DRM to do it too. Trust me. Now, while the game is running, it will eat up precious CPU time to run the anti-tamper algorithm. The time it takes to run this operation varies from system to system. I can't watch the video cutscenes without the game lagging, but luckily for me everything else ingame is fine. But this algorithm must be run constantly just in case you, the paying customer, are the pirate trying to tamper with the game.

Literally all of these points are cons for the paying consumer. Do you know who doesn't have to deal with this bullshit? The pirate. There is no way you can honestly believe that this is not anti-consumer. It literally only affects the legitimate user.

19. celebi23

celebi23

Whenever I try opening Sonic Mania a window pops up saying "Sorry, something went wrong, for solutions please visit: https://support.codefusion.technology/SonicMania_8ahn2e/?e=88500006&l=english"

And when I go to that page, there's this message:
    "Currently your game purchase cannot be re-validated successfully, please wait 24 hours and try again."

Had the first instance of the error message on this past Tuesday, the game then worked for me on Wednesday and yesterday and now, I'm getting the same exact error message again. It's bullshit that as a paying customer, I'm being penalized because Sega's shitty idea to implement Denuvo in Sonic Mania.

I've tried Sega UK support and the just send me an automated response:
    I tried all of that already. I changed no system settings at all in the day and a half the game worked perfectly for me. It's not about verifying files, it's about not being able to have my game purchase verified thanks to Denuvo.

[​IMG]

20. lil-g-gamegenuis

lil-g-gamegenuis

GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! Member
    olathe, ks
    Practicing to make better SMPS
    I think this applies pretty well to what's going on.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.