don't click here

Sonic Mania experiences with Denuvo

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Laughingcow, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    I have no problems with running Mania on my slightly older Windows 7 Medion PC. Mania takes up ~20-25% when in menus, and even less during gameplay. For some reason.
    Denuvo problems definitely have nothing to do with AMD processors, because my PC runs on an AMD A8-3820 Vision, and uses the mediocre built-in graphics unit.

2. Fuck iLok!!! Haha I hate that shit.

Although I think this is much different. I haven't noticed anything about mania DRM that's been intrusive to me.

It runs fine, no problems. I wouldn't even know it had DRM if I wasn't told.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You're lucky - I've seen reports of people with multi-thousand dollar gaming beasts that are dropping frames on Mania, never mind those that can't play it at all due to the Denuvo malware. A gaming PC that costs that much should be able to run the game at a solid 60fps, a game that could have feasibly been made on the Saturn.

4. The points that you brought up in your first post are mainly foolish and have nothing to do with Denuvo itself.

Regarding your first point, if an antivirus mistakenly marks a program as being malware, then that's the fault of the antivirus, not the program. If I were to use your logic, then I would have considered mGBA to not be trustworthy all because Avast thought it was possible malware at one point.

For your second and third points, I couldn't care less about this SecuROM program; we're talking about Denuvo. Perhaps I should remind you what the definition of malware is. It's software that is designed to cause damage to computers and other systems. Under that, I wouldn't brand either of those two programs as being malware and it's obvious that you're misusing the word to try to sway other people the way that a fearmonger does. Also, from what I've read, EA's problem is that they outright refused to say whether they were using SecuROM while the page for Sonic Mania not displaying the information about Denuvo was an accident that was eventually corrected.

Lastly, your fourth point has nothing to do with how Denuvo works.

Four points you used and none of them prove anything about Denuvo being malicious software. Despite this, you dishonestly try to portray it as such. Also, near the beginning, you claimed that the mere inclusion of Denuvo hurts sales, except that's not the actual reason. If you look at both the Sonic the Hedgehog subreddit and many of the negative reviews on Steam that people foolishly posted, you can see that several of them allege that Denuvo is a virus or malware, that it harms your computer, that it's somehow anticonsumer (which doesn't make sense when most people who would have downloaded the game wouldn't even notice anything), etc. I would definitely say that this fiasco is due to people spreading false or irrelevant information to scare users or try to convince them that piracy is the "morally right" thing to do in response. I despise liars, and I have no patience for people who try to justify either those or others not fact-checking. I don't think that SEGA should change their decision because of a bunch of misinfomed people making others misinformed.

5. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Did you just literally admit to using an emulator in a post in which you are trying to say you're "against piracy"? (And somehow seem to be implying I'm for it, even though I provided evidence that I legally own my games on PC.) I'll get to addressing your other shallow rebuttals when I get home from work, but noticing this was way too good to pass up.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    LimitCrown, why are you trying so hard to defend something that's inherently anti-paying customer?

7. Does it matter whether I did? You used the existence of false positives as a reason for insinuating that Denuvo isn't trustworthy, which was foolish to begin with. With respect to mGBA, it would be like some dishonest person taking the report of Avast considering it to be dangerous and spreading it around to others to try to harm its reputation and claim that emulators are bad. You're one of the few in this topic trying to justify piracy of this game by calling Denuvo malware when it's obvious you don't have any idea of what you're talking about. You avoided the entirety of my post just to focus on something minor and use an ad hominem fallacy. I would consider anything that you say to have insignificant value.

Prove how it is supposedly anti-paying-consumer if most people who play the game won't notice anything. Rather than make empty statements, show proof of this. Otherwise, what you say is worthless. Also, if you use Steam, then you don't have as many qualms about DRM as you think.

8. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Do tell me because I love to hear it. Did you dump the ROMs yourself or did you download them? Was it to play homebrews or to play commercial games without paying?

9. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

As I explained in the post, it was brief because I'm at work. Had a brief break/checked this thread quickly. Don't worry, I'll address your other points when I get home.

And, uh, yeah, an antivirus program finding an emulator to be malware is perfectly fine with me, since the majority of the time they are used for piracy. Emulators aren't great (unless it's an officially licensed product like Parallels for OS X or the SNES Classic or something like that)--they're mainly used by pirates. Feel free to post photos of all the GBA games you own and how you ripped them officially to your computer. If you can provide that, I'll retract what I've said about you seemingly admitting you are one yourself. I never once in this thread have "tried to justify piracy." Please provide evidence that I have done so. On the contrary, I've said multiple times that I want the PC version of "Mania" to sell as well as it possibly can (and am disappointed it's not as a result of the publisher shooting themselves in the foot), and have provided evidence I legally own my games. You've done nothing but try to combat reasons why folks should be legitimately concerned about Denuvo and their software.

Anyway, back to work for me. Looking forward to responding to any more drivel you post regarding me when I get home.

10. If you're unable or unwilling to prove how Denuvo actually harms legitimate customers or how Denuvo harms computers, then don't bother. In fact, don't even bother to begin with because these myths are not new and have existed for quite some time.

Alright then. So let's boil down your reasoning: You brand emulators to be malware because you don't know the definition of malware then you brand Denuvo, a program that's designed to prevent people from tampering with DRM implementations and so protects against piracy, as malware for the same reason. Congratulations for being self-contradictory.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Wow, you're not a condescending little bitch at all, are you :v:

It's quite simple. People who pirate games with activation utilities do not have to do an activation song and dance to be graciously allowed to use the products they have paid money for. Therefore, it is anti-consumer. Someone booting the game for the first time on a laptop on a plane will notice the game doesn't work, people in 20 years time when the activation servers are gone installing the game will notice it. People with pirated copies will be fine. The entire purpose of DRM is to stop games being run, ergo, it's anti-consumer.

I don't. Caught you now, haven't I? I have never paid for a DRM'd using game. See the fucking sig, which has been there for years.

I say again: why are you fighting so hard to defend it? Do you WORK for them or something?

12. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Answer the question dude because I get the feeling you're a lying hypocrite.

13. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Just to reiterate: There's a difference between pirating without paying and pirating things you already own. To give one example, I've pirated handheld games that I own because I had no way to record them via anything other than an emulator.

14. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I admire your honesty.

15. Prove how Denuvo is dangerous, you dishonest backtracker.

Congratulations for not proving how it punishes paying customers. Denuvo is a real concern only for people who try to pirate the software that uses it. In the past, it was very effective at its job. Also, you act as if they can't just remove Denuvo in the event that its servers go down.

16. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Environmentally it'll contribute to more e-waste. That's dangerous in the long run.

On a machine that can't handle the encryption it can shorten the life of the device due to more heat being generated which also contributes to more energy being used.

It installs unwanted software on someone's computer that can cause issues with some other piece of software or hardware. Go Google the Sony Rootkit Scandal of 2005.

It can create vulnerabilities in the operating system and making it easier for Malware writers to attack your system.

It could eventually be banned by Microsoft the way SecuROM was.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

--and let's say they don't bother removing the DRM / they force you to pay for another version of the game that "only works" on a Steam successor even though you already purchased the right to use the software?

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    >user who dogmatically defended every ounce of Sonic Forces is now aggressively defending Denuvo
    That certainly is an extremely coincidental combination of two very unpopular opinions for this board. I don't want to say this is trolling, but it's sure quacking like a troll.

[​IMG]

19. You state a lot of "can"s without actual proof, and you're referencing a debunked myth about Denuvo continuously writing and encrypting data to and from the hard drive repeatedly. You state that it can cause issues, but you didn't provide proof. You state that it can create vulnerabilities in the system, but there's no proof. All that you have are empty guesses. There is no point to arguing against those who are so easily manipulable to believe what random people say without bothering to verify it. That is all that this anti-Denuvo fiasco is.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    They COULD. Doesn't mean they WILL. There's far too much stuff already you can't play properly because of overly restrictive measures like this, go look up some stuff that was done on 8-bit microcomputers. And no, it isn't "a real concern only for people who try to pirate the software", you completely ignored the point about anyone without access to an internet connection for an inherently offline game.

I'm beginning to believe this, actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.